Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pawel Abbott signs +++++++++ On OS++++++++++

Comments

• Options
    Good signing, two bids have been turned down today for Benson at Dagenham
  • Options
    On his wikipedia page it says under Oldham Athletic: "His name is actually Abbottolovsky but changed by dead poll as it was bankrupting Oldham fans putting it on their shirts."
    Had a little chuckle when I read that!
  • Options
    well i think pawel abbott is a top signing for that fee! was looking at his style and think hes a taller clive mendonca!! will score goals at this level and hold the ball up and set up others just like the oldham fan said a bargain cant wait to see him play yes yes yes
  • Options
    i was told that le fondre was having a medical today, what a feckin red herring that was.
  • Options
    Abbott is ok mate he will score in this league
  • Options
    Good news alright, Parky building a nice team of battlers and with a good physical presence, probably wont be as pretty as some of the earlier football last season but hopefully it'll be effective.
  • Options
    Abbott - good signing, decent form at this level and has a good goal scoring habit.
  • Options
    Saw him play for Darlington against Exeter two seasons ago just after Darlington had gone into Admin and Exeter were pushing for promotion, he looked a cut above league 2 and wasn't suprised when Oldham picked him up for L1. Looked an intelligent player, strong and good with the ball at his feet, not the fastest mind. ANother shrewd signing by the Parkster!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]i was told that le fondre was having a medical today, what a feckin red herring that was.

He is Steve.....................at Millwall :-)
  • Options
    Darlo fan here.

Abbott was absolutely quality for us: easily the best player I have seen in a Darlo shirt since Gabbiadini.

I echo what the Oldham fan has said: he is hugely talented and if it wasn't for injuries then he would definitely be in the Championship by now. Who knows, maybe he will next year!

I was gutted when he left, but we were in administration and so it was inevitable. Some of the things he did with the ball were unbelievable; some of his goals were absolutely breathtaking.

20k is a steal for such a talented player and I would not be surprised if he banged in 20+ goals next season. I will be monitoring how he gets on!

Good luck for the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: darlosteve[/cite]Darlo fan here.

Abbott was absolutely quality for us: easily the best player I have seen in a Darlo shirt since Gabbiadini.

I echo what the Oldham fan has said: he is hugely talented and if it wasn't for injuries then he would definitely be in the Championship by now. Who knows, maybe he will next year!

I was gutted when he left, but we were in administration and so it was inevitable. Some of the things he did with the ball were unbelievable; some of his goals were absolutely breathtaking.

20k is a steal for such a talented player and I would not be surprised if he banged in 20+ goals next season. I will be monitoring how he gets on!

Good luck for the season.

cheers Darlo its good to get a veiw from those that have seen him play

goodluck this season
  • Options
    thanks to the Oldham and Darlo fans for your views.

Don't know much about Abbott (or any other lower league player to be honest), but he seems an honest target man. The key to getting the best out of him will probably be what he is paired with, and i'm pretty sure he hasn't been signed yet.

The next striker signed will be the one that makes or breaks our season. Abbott won't.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Really good to hear he's been a hit with his previous 2 clubs. I remember him from the game at The Valley - looked bigger than 6'2, a right nuisance and just what we need.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]thanks to the Oldham and Darlo fans for your views.

Don't know much about Abbott (or any other lower league player to be honest), but he seems an honest target man. The key to getting the best out of him will probably be what he is paired with, and i'm pretty sure he hasn't been signed yet.

The next striker signed will be the one that makes or breaks our season. Abbott won't.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

me thinks our leader knows more than he is letting on
  • Options
    who is our next striker signing going to be? whose your money on?
  • Options
    he's one of those players who i think might turn out to be a great for us and one day we'll call him a legend... or he'll spend most of the time injured, end up being released and we'll try our best to forget him. i really really hope its the first one.
  • Options
    Wasn't Pawel Abbott the player that scored a goal despite being about 25 yards offside a few years ago? Seem to remember it on Soccer AM or something?
  • Options
    A very good signing imo, really starting to feel optimistic about this season, Parky has done some superb wheeling and dealing. Welcome aboard Mr Abbott.
  • Options
    You have to say that given the chronic lack of funds that Parky's transfer market activity has been fantastic....

RB - Francis

CH: Doherty, Dailly

MID - Jackson, McCormack, Reid

STR: Abbott

He's signed some very decent players there and, as others have said, I would imagine that he will be bringing in at least two more strikers (one of whom may be Bauza) and a keeper.

The following side could more than hold its own.....

Eliott
    Francis - Doherty - Dailly - Jackson
    Wagstaff - Semedo - McCormack - Reid
    Abbott - Sodje

SUBS: GK, Llera, Racon, Tuna, Solly, Youga
  • Options
    back again.

Charlton are now my second team based on the fact you have Pawel Abbott.

I've always liked Charlton, I'd like them to get back in the Prem with Abbott as their first choice striker.

Oldham are crap. Supporting Oldham is like having a life sentence for a crime I didn't commit. Why was I born there?

The thing that makes this more gutting is that we let him leave because Dickov doesn't rate him. I'd be less gutted if you just bought him off us for a fee that we couldn't turn down like 300k (which is what he's worth). We did the same last season with Lee Hughes, he was happy to sign for us again for less than what Notts County were offering but we didn't want him and then he banged in like 25 goals for Notts County, but Lee Hughes was at tit, Abbott's a cool guy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: JCartwell[/cite]back again.

Charlton are now my second team based on the fact you have Pawel Abbott.

I've always liked Charlton, I'd like them to get back in the Prem with Abbott as their first choice striker.

Oldham are crap. Supporting Oldham is like having a life sentence for a crime I didn't commit. Why was I born there?

The thing that makes this more gutting is that we let him leave because Dickov doesn't rate him. I'd be less gutted if you just bought him off us for a fee that we couldn't turn down like 300k (which is what he's worth). We did the same last season with Lee Hughes, he was happy to sign for us again for less than what Notts County were offering but we didn't want him and then he banged in like 25 goals for Notts County, but Lee Hughes was at tit, Abbott's a cool guy.

welcome JCartwell

Thanks for the info on Pawel i must admit to liking him myself

supporting Charlton is prob the same as Oldham.. i have liekend it to having kidney stones hurts like mad but hopefully it will pass
  • Options
    Thought we signed David Walliams at first
  • Options
    any striker that knocks kakpo further away from the starting line up is a good signing imo
  • Options
    Still really pleased with this signing. I think he will be a main goal threat next year with someone chipping in a few along side him.

The only things which worry me are -

1. Injuries - sounds like he is prone to a few and could end up spending a large part of the season on the sidelines.

2. Up tut North - sounds like he is a northern (polish) lad and has spent his whole career up there. We don't want another Andy Grey situation where he doesn't settle down here. Being positive, Sir Clive was northern and played most of his career up north and he settled okay.
  • Options
    he'll be our penalty taker as well ...
  • Options
    Be great if he could do a Grant Holt for us. Similar type of player
  • Options
    Sounds really good to me, really pleased with the feedback from fans of his former teams. With the exception of Agbo, Parky has made some very good signings in my opinion.
  • Options
    As with all new signings, I'll reserve judgement on him until I've seen him play at least 10 games for us, but his record and the testimonials of the Oldham and Darlington fan bode well imo.

Interesting to read that he served his football education in Poland and was involved in their international setup at youth levels. If watching England over the last few years has taught us nothing else, we know that even the less glamorous european nations tend to produce players with superior technique to most english players, which to me suggests Abbott will have more about him than just physical presence (as suggested by the Oldham fan).

Like I say, I'll reserve judgement for now, but I'll echo the thoughts of others that Parky has gone about his summer dealings in an impressive manner. I was worried we would struggle to bring in anything other than middle of the road League 1 players but, on paper at least, all or signings should be amoungst the better players in the positions plying their trade in the division next season and all for sensible if not even bargain prices. Two more signings of the right type and in the right positions and I'll be really quite hopeful of at least a good tilt at the play-offs.
  • Options
    Can only be pleased by the comments from Darlo & Oldham so well done again to the management. Certainly sounds / looks technically good but wouldn't it be nice to have a target man who can thump in a few headed goals too. Guess we'd all like that pacy 20-goal finisher alongside him but as mentioned elsewhere the fashion seems to be more 4-5-1 becoming 4-3-3, for which we seem to have the wide players who can finish. That said, no sign of it at all pre-season, and Parky hasn't strayed much from orthodox 4-4-2 so far, so hopefully there's still a more mobile forward to come. (or Kevin Phillips!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JCartwell[/cite]Oldham are crap. Supporting Oldham is like having a life sentence for a crime I didn't commit. Why was I born there?
    #

Absolutely PMSL .....!!

Me and my mates were saying the same thing in 1980 as Charlton were relegated out of sight.
    No money, no prospects, no hope.

All things pass, Mr JC ........ remember when you were in the Prem for a spell, and managed to get West Ham relegated with record points?

Your turn will come again. You just have to live long enough!

:o)