Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We've had THREE bids rejected for Dagenham's Benson

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Dagenham & Redbridge have rejected two bids from Charlton for striker Paul Benson.

Charlton boss Phil Parkinson has targeted a move for Benson as he looks to add to his attacking options at the Valley.

Benson has been a massive success at Dagenham since joining the club in 2005 scoring 70 goals in 171 appearances and helping them climb from the Conference to League One.

Daggers boss John Still has confirmed to skysports.com that the bids from Charlton were some way apart from their valuation of the 30-year-old.

"Charlton have spoken to us and they have made two bids for Paul Benson. But the offers were nowhere near our valuation of Paul. Absoutely we want to keep him as he is a quality player, but we have always been sensible in letting players move on. We will not stand in his way if the right offer is made and the move is right for Paul. We've left it with Charlton and we will see what they do next."
  • Options
    Well, we need a goalscorer, and thats what he is.
    I still think if we're going to pay money for someone, i'd rather eastwood than benson.
  • Options
    6'2", 31 years old in October, and a late starter in the pro game.

Moving to Charlton could be the pinnacle of his career ......!
  • Options
    Would be a good signing hope this happens.
  • Options
    Off the pace with how much lower league players are going for now...........what do you think we are offering to what they want ? Is it a matter of 50-100k or more than double that.

If its the later then forget it.............but if we are offering £150k and they are looking closer to £250k then it may be a goer.
  • Options
    Looks like John Still is trying to start a Dutch Auction. No idea what we have bid or what they value him at, guessing we have offered around 100-150k and they probably want 300ish.

Cant be certain but I'm guessing Benson is probably keen on the move or a move, probably a step up in wages. If this is the case then Still will be angling for the best deal and who can blame him?.
  • Options
    in last year of his contract I believe so they may want to cash in now. I wouldn't pay more than 150k.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be a fan of paying 300k for a 30 year old who has never played above league two....

His goal record does seem incredible though, 107 goals in 62 games for White Ensign.
  • Options
    My guess? We've offered about 30-50k. They're holding out for 100k plus addons
  • Options
    not good enough for us not happy with this as a signing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Signed a 3 year contract with D&R in August 2009, so with 2 years still to run, they may feel they can hold out for a little more.
  • Options
    Typical parky following the news pard has just snapped up martin butler on a free transfer to play up alongside lambert, parky is now after paul benson and lee hedges.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite] I wouldn't pay more than 150k.

Maybe you would have to sell your house first, if you were going to pay 150k, Large - unless you've got decent savings.

Otherwise best let the club find the money.

:o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Typical parky following the news pard has just snapped up martin butler on a free transfer to play up alongside lambert, parky is now after paul benson and lee hedges.

20 a day strikers ....?
  • Options
    eyeore eyeore
  • Options
    Would have been hoping we'd be looking up the divisions than down but I guess he's probably one of the best options with what we have availble.
  • Options
    I have no idea what this guy's like, I only remember his play off final goals. Is he good enough to be the man which we are relying on to score the majority of our goals?

Is he quick?
  • Options
    Do you think we will go for him now we've signed 'The Abbot ' ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]I have no idea what this guy's like, I only remember his play off final goals. Is he good enough to be the man which we are relying on to score the majority of our goals?

Is he quick?

imo

no

and i watched the daggers atleast 10 times last season
  • Options
    *wild uninformed guess abour what we bid and what they want*
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]*wild uninformed guess abour what we bid and what they want*

You want to get your head checked if you think we've got that much to spend/they'd be willing to accept that.
  • Options
    Looks like a poor man's Dave Mooney to me. And as MIA says, do we need another six footer now Abbott's signed?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Looks like a poor man's Dave Mooney to me. And as MIA says, do we need another six footer now Abbott's signed?

worse than mooney i promise you not what we need AT ALL
  • Options
    Having 6ft + players in League one, seems to be the way, doesn't necessarily mean you can are going out get out of the league with them though.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    And looking at Brodie too.
  • Options
    that paper is tosh !! I do hope we can sign Brodie though (the journalist for SLP prob got his information from this site or football rumours
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rudders22[/cite]that paper is tosh !! I do hope we can sign Brodie though (the journalist for SLP prob got his information from this site or football rumours
    actually the SLP has a close relationship with PP.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    out of the two i would prefer Brodie. Benson looks very lightweight and being 30 we're talking one or two seasons at most.
    People say, 'we dont want another Fleetwood'. but Brodie is totally different. until forest green, Fleetwood career was sh:t, he was released by a couple of clubs, suffered with illness and injury, then he had one good season.
    Brodie is improving each season... 07/08 he scored 15, 08/09 20, 09/10 35. this shows a player on the up, not just a one-season wonder.
  • Options
    Didn't someone on here say Brodie recently signed a new contract at York?

Seems unlikely he'd be thinking about leaving if that was the case.