Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Francis signs +++CONFIRMED ON OS+++

Comments

• Options
    Well done Parky! Even though can't do anything right by Large', keep up the good work! ;-)
  • Options
    right im going to add my 2 penneth, yes good signing and im with barts that we need 2 players per position, but for those writing Solly off,you
    are bang out of order.He is without doubt good enough for this pony league.
  • Options
    still need a LB IMO which would mean Jackson playing LW and giving us more balance. Could bring someone on loan till Youga gets fit I guess.
  • Options
    Back four looks pretty strong. Two players of the year, one who came third in the championship-winning side and Jackson, who really impressed on loan.
  • Options
    I don't think people are writing him off Steve, just saying that if we can get a player who is better in that position then we should.
  • Options
    Remember seeing him at Southend away when I thought he was doing well until Reid came on.

Decent signing. Better and more experienced than Solly, desperately need some strikers and we'll be in better shape than I thought we would be at the start of the summer.
  • Options
    Reid will play wide left Valleyman
  • Options
    For the level we're at, I'm impressed by the quality and reputation of Parky's signings.

So far:

Francis (PotY at Southend)
    Doherty (Prem/CCC experienced - lead Norwich to title)
    Jackson (Prem/CCC experienced - played under Parky before)
    McCormack (CCC experienced - evidently been well watched)
    Reid (Prem/CCC experienced - proved himself here in 18 loan appearances)

Interestingly, with Jacko and Reidy - they are 2 players that were here on loan, and evidently proved themselves.
    Who said loan players can't be bothered ?

Likewise Akpo (CCC experienced) ......evidently proved to Parky he was worth signing.
    Maybe not pretty to watch, but has that big physical presence and prepared to graft for the cause - defenders hate playing against him.

Added to re-signing Christian Dailly, and last season's success with Burton and Richardson - I've got to say I've been impressed with Parky's ability to sign a player, not only with ability but the right character.

I know we're still a couple of strikers short, plus keeper cover and RM - but already this team is looking balanced.

Sorry, Large ........ but well done Parky!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Remember seeing him at Southend away when I thought he was doing well until Reid came on.

To be fair to Francis ...... he won't often come up against a player of Reid's pace and quality in this League.

Especially a player who's been benched and then come on fired up to impress his watching Mum!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]For the level we're at, I'm impressed by the quality and reputation of Parky's signings.

So far:

Francis(PotY at Southend)
    Doherty(Prem/CCC experienced - lead Norwich to title)
    Jackson(Prem/CCC experienced - played under Parky before)
    McCormack(CCC experienced - evidently been well watched)
    Reid(Prem/CCC experienced - proved himself here in 18 loan appearances)

Interestingly, with Jacko and Reidy - they are 2 players that were here on loan, and evidently proved themselves.

Likewise Akpo (CCC experienced) ......evidently proved to Parky he was worth signing.
    Maybe not pretty to watch, but has that big physical presence and prepared to graft for the cause - defenders hate playing against him.

Added to re-signing Christian Dailly, and last season's success with Burton and Richardson - I've got to say I've been impressed with Parky's ability to sign a player, not only with ability but the right character.

I know we're still a couple of strikers short, plus keeper cover and RM - but already this team is looking balanced.

Well said Oggy and welcome aboard Mr Francis!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great signing, I've heard really good things about this guy!
  • Options
    Another good deal, though there is 25% sell on according to Southends OS. Liking the fact that with the signings of Jackson, Reid, McCormack and now Francis, all have the potential to appreciate in value in the next 12 months.

If we are entering an era (again!) where we need to sell a player or 2 each season to balance the books these plus our academy players enable us to do this whilst remaining competitive on the pitch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]For the level we're at, I'm impressed by the quality and reputation of Parky's signings.

So far:

Francis(PotY at Southend)
    Doherty(Prem/CCC experienced - lead Norwich to title)
    Jackson(Prem/CCC experienced - played under Parky before)
    McCormack(CCC experienced - evidently been well watched)
    Reid(Prem/CCC experienced - proved himself here in 18 loan appearances)

I agree with you though Oggy. His signings are impressive and of bettter quality than I thought we'd end up signing and I think he's done a good job recruitment wise over the summer. Still think he's a poor manager though. I'd also be happier if I thought that Francis and Solly were in competition for a place at RB and that it was up for grabs but I don't think it is. However, I am not going to go over old ground again. If we can get the other additions to the squad we require and if they are of similar quality of the signings thus far then a play-off place is the minimum we should expect and I'd say we'd be on the heels of Saints and Weds for a top-two finish. If we don't achieve at least the play-offs there will be only one person to blame.
  • Options
    So Large, please explain.....if we dont get into the playoffs whos this 'one person to blame then'?If Parky is signing, as you mentioned, 'proven' players and they dont perform, how can Parky be at fault? Especially when everyone on here is really pleased with the signings he has made, including you, surprisingly!?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

I agree with you though Oggy. His signings are impressive and of bettter quality than I thought we'd end up signing and I think he's done a good job recruitment wise over the summer. Still think he's a poor manager though.

For goodness' sake!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I'd also be happier if I thought that Francis and Solly were in competition for a place at RB and that it was up for grabs but I don't think it is.
    Don't the various opinions on here show there are still doubts about Solly? Ignoring the few that write him off based on him playing left back away to Millwall, he's not exactly stood out in pre-season. Some have even said he's struggled against some wingers, and they're talking about Welling, AFC Wimbledon and Bromley.

He is a decent player but I don't see the problem with him being second choice at this stage, when we're able to sign someone a lot more proven.

Is it really fair to want Parky to experiment with young players yet at the same time demand play-offs as the minimum?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]So Large, please explain.....if we dont get into the playoffs whos this 'one person to blame then'?If Parky is signing, as you mentioned, 'proven' players and they dont perform, how can Parky be at fault? Especially when everyone on here is really pleased with the signings he has made, including you, surprisingly!?

because tactics, substitutions at the right time, formations and motivation to name a few come into play and that is where he falls down in my opinion.
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I'd also be happier if I thought that Francis and Solly were in competition for a place at RB and that it was up for grabs but I don't think it is.
    Don't the various opinions on here show there are still doubts about Solly? Ignoring the few that write him off based on him playing left back away to Millwall, he's not exactly stood out in pre-season. Some have even said he's struggled against some wingers, and they're talking about Welling, AFC Wimbledon and Bromley.

He is a decent player but I don't see the problem with him being second choice at this stage, when we're able to sign someone a lot more proven.

Is it really fair to want Parky to experiment with young players yet at the same time demand play-offs as the minimum?

experimenting would be to have four or five in the side all at once which I am not advocating at all. And the only one's I think are up to it at the moment are Elliott, Waggy, Stav and Solly. I doubt we'll see more than one, max two, of them in the team at any one time.
  • Options
    Looks another good signing on limited funds. Nice work yet again to Parky, credit where its due, impressive so far.

I'm getting a bit nervy on the Striker front though. Running out of time to bed them in.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    How do people think he performed Friday?

Please keep the criticism, if any, as constructive criticism. Personally, i thought he was ok. Gave the ball away cheaply at times and looked quite exposed in the first half. From the 90 minutes i saw friday, he looks more like a centre half than a right back. I believe he will end up being a good aquisition tho, especially when we play sides that lump it....just think he could be a bit more composed in possesion.
  • Options
    He will get better. Great cross with his weaker foot for the goal. Got something like 9 assists for Southend, don't see why he can't do the same here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd agree with OK. He did well for our first goal, granted it was poor defending but he still put the ball in the right place. I think after 3 or 4 games he'll really settle in and hopefully be a decent replacement for Richardson.
    Maybe the fact he gave the ball quite a bit was due to rustiness and first start nerves? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    Does anybody know whether he had a pre-season? He will improve but it pleases me that we have two good right backs in the squad. It has been a bit of a problem area for us the past few seasons (aside Richardson).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mendonca[/cite]Does anybody know whether he had a pre-season? He will improve but it pleases me that we have two good right backs in the squad. It has been a bit of a problem area for us the past few seasons (aside Richardson).

I doubt he had much of one due to PP saying he was at least a week behind our lot when we signed him
  • Options
    Although he was released Southend held his registration. I'm pretty sure Parky said he hadnt kicked a ball all summer when he signed. His first pre-season action was at Conchord Rangers.
  • Options
    In that case, I'm sure he will get better and sharper.
  • Options
    He did ok, nothing spectacular and if we are all honest bar his cross his distribution was poor, he also seemed out of position on a few occasions but that is to be expected in a new team and one that you have not really played any part in the pre season..
  • Options
    certainly gives our back 4 some excellent height, along with Doc, Dailly and Jackson....as said above, suspect he's still a couple of weeks away from full (match) fitness....something that will only come with playing competitive games and not behind closed doors friendlies (given that we have no reserve team now)

I'm sure he'll get better and better, lets just give him a chance eh !
  • Options
    Seemed OK, but looking through his history the guy constantly assists a high ammount of goals each season. Both he and Jackson will be able to pick and spot the passes when teams lose their shapes and we get runners in the right area.
  • Options
    Everytime I see him i see a poor mans Jonathan Spectre. Probably not 100% fit as yet, would like to give him a few more weeks before deciding.
  • Options
    Wow Ketman, that is quite some insult.