Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Cavendish

Truly world class.

Comments

• Options
    I met him last month in London, really nice bloke.

World class superstar!
  • Options
    Awesome sprinting. Hope he develops and becomes a competitor in some of the other classics, other than Milan-San-Remo. It'd be great to see at the Vuelta too.
  • Options
    If anyone knows nothing abour Cav, go to youtube and watch his Milan-San Remo win last year.

Amazing rider.
  • Options
    i realise the guy is an exceptional talent but the Tour de France confuses the life out of me.
  • Options
    It does my missus too. Its pretty straightforward.
  • Options
    Love watching aerodrome cycling in the olympics. But can't get into 'Le Tour'. Seems just like watching the 10,000 metres. Boring up until the last bit!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]i realise the guy is an exceptional talent but the Tour de France confuses the life out of me.

What bit confuses you?
  • Options
    all the stages, the jerseys, the teams, the times.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]all the stages, the jerseys, the teams, the times.

The drugs, the cheating ?
  • Options
    that bit i can understand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not even the best sprinter in the race - didnt get the green jersey.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Not even the best sprinter in the race - didnt get the green jersey.

He is by far and away the best sprinter, he just goes for the stage wins rather than the intermediate sprints that Petacchi went for. Petacchi gets himself in some breakaways and earns points that way, Cavendish would rather the glory of the stage wins.

If you saw yesterday, the worlds top sprinters were going flat out and he went away from them as though they were sitting still.

Easily the best
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You can't compare like that Hushovd is more of a rider that goes for intermediaries and carefully picks the harder stages like the cobbles. Petacchi is an awesome sprinter, someone who wins 9 sprints in one Giro is just the fastest in his generation.

Ah we always get one SHG.... If Frank Lampard was a cyclist he'd be under a huge cloud of suspicion, no one improves that much without something significant changing. If it is just down to training hardly says much for him and Redknapp, playing in one of the most offensive minded teams he managed at most 7 goals in a season. Petacchi's career is very questionable, but no more questionable than Nadal's or many of the top La Liga teams/players. Plenty of La Liga footballers identified in operation Puerto and not one investigated hmmmmmmm.

I wonder why England players play so well in the heat of summer/autumn, but are truly whacked out for England? Yet Italian and Spanish players keep on ticking for the same ammount of matches? Of course the biggest money making sports teams avoid all performance enhancers, and get tested the least compared to other big sports. Still the Juve organised drug cheating happened in the 80's, they'd never be doing it now would they?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Not even the best sprinter in the race - didnt get the green jersey.

He is by far and away the best sprinter, he just goes for the stage wins rather than the intermediate sprints that Petacchi went for. Petacchi gets himself in some breakaways and earns points that way, Cavendish would rather the glory of the stage wins.

If you saw yesterday, the worlds top sprinters were going flat out and he went away from them as though they were sitting still.

Easily the best

Relax -I was playing devils advocate.
    Agree he is quality.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]You can't compare like that Hushovd is more of a rider that goes for intermediaries and carefully picks the harder stages like the cobbles. Petacchi is an awesome sprinter, someone who wins 9 sprints in one Giro is just the fastest in his generation.

Ah we always get one SHG.... If Frank Lampard was a cyclist he'd be under a huge cloud of suspicion, no one improves that much without something significant changing. If it is just down to training hardly says much for him and Redknapp, playing in one of the most offensive minded teams he managed at most 7 goals in a season. Petacchi's career is very questionable, but no more questionable than Nadal's or many of the top La Liga teams/players. Plenty of La Liga footballers identified in operation Puerto and not one investigated hmmmmmmm.

I wonder why England players play so well in the heat of summer/autumn, but are truly whacked out for England? Yet Italian and Spanish players keep on ticking for the same ammount of matches? Of course the biggest money making sports teams avoid all performance enhancers, and get tested the least compared to other big sports. Still the Juve organised drug cheating happened in the 80's, they'd never be doing it now would they?

I do love a conspiracy theory. Thing is..........Hardly a year goes by without cycling providing either a drugs or cheating scandal or team shenanagens. As for performance enhanced footballers or athletes. No doubt there is. I for one have thought for years that someone is slipping drugs to the Charlton players. Mogadon is my best guess.
  • Options
    Great programme on BBC4 tomorrow night at 10pm about Tom Simpson, our last World Road Champion
  • Options
    Just read that Cav's in the Vuelta can't wait for it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]
    I do love a conspiracy theory. Thing is..........Hardly a year goes by without cycling providing either a drugs or cheating scandal or team shenanagens. As for performance enhanced footballers or athletes. No doubt there is. I for one have thought for years that someone is slipping drugs to the Charlton players. Mogadon is my best guess.
    [/cite]

I'm not a cycling fan who's in any doubt of the level of past doping in the sport, and no doubt present doping in the sport. Why do cyclists like Armstrong, Menchov and Rasmussen dissapear from competition when they attack the Tour? Thing is.... laughably.... hardly a year goes by without any footballer/team properly investigated, and maybe only a mention when a moron like Ferdinand moans about being tested.

Giovanni Bronckhusrt stated that he'd refuse a drugs test after the finals if they won. Stunningly ludicrous. Only the Italian judiciary ever seem to consistently do anything, although often they're hamstrung by the statute of limitations and the sheer financial power of the top Northern teams. Just a shame when clean riders like Wiggins, Cavendish and Motte fight in a peloton of many questions. There's no conspiracy it's a matter of fact that Italian football teams doped in the 80's, and that Spanish players had their blood held and transfused by the institute uncovered by Operation Puerto.
  • Options
    Mark Cavendish was the best sprinter in the Tour this year - unfortunately he screwed up on Stage 4 when he went a bit too wide and got out of position for the run-in and basically gave up. In the meantime Petacci and Hushovd hoovered up the points for the minor placings and that was enough.

Bear in mind that Mark Renshaw, Cavendish's lead-out man, was suspended for several of the sprint stages and his team consequently didn't give him much support. Watching Cavendish win on Sunday was amazing, with no team support he picked his line carefully, ensuring he didn't get boxed in and kept his main rivals in sight and yet didn't go too early, at the death he timed his finish to perfection and won in the style of Usain Bolt, that is celebrating as he crossed the line with Petacci etc in his slipstream.

He should be going to the World Championships this year which will be held on a tough course in Australia, if Renshaw can act as his minder we could have the first British world road race champion since Tommy Simpson. in 1965.
  • Options
    Why would Renshaw do that? He'll ride for Cadel Evans, they'll be no chance he'll go for it with Cav as Evans'll be desperate to perform so no way will they barter with the Brits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just saw this thread, and ColinTat beat me to it!

Love the Tour, and unfortunate that we get precious little cycling on TV over here. Cavendish is an absolute beast, and his performance on the culminating stage on the Champs Elysees was a truly remarkable sight. You don't have to do much cycling to know how hard it is to do what everyone in the peleton does.

Talk about the cheating is quite done by this point imo, although there do appear to be clouds on the horizon yet. No argument...it is cheating, but sport is full of cheating...nothing unique about cycling in this regard, save the means.
  • Options
    Phew, great to see... thought it would be bad news or retirement seeing this thread :)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Had a feeling when I saw the thread again that he'd won...

He cant make a comeback can he? - I just cant see how he could match Caleb Ewan in a sprint now.

I saw yesterday that he finished third in the Scheldeprijs recently which is an event he's won a good number of times, came in just behind Sam Bennett (his team mate) and Philipsen who he beat yesterday, is the field that great in Turkey for him to be winning, noticed he's beating Griepel which isnt anything special these days
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    He has no other races planned at the moment, so will be intriguing to see what’s next. 

Whatever happens, it’s great to see his smiling face after the wins.  
  • Options
    It’s only the tour of Turkey, but 3 in a row and looking very strong indeed. Great comeback