Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

On the subject of music did anyone know that..

edited July 2010 in Not Sports Related
The song "Embarassment" by Madness was written about a band members sister who got pregnant by a black fella. Have a listen to the lyrics sometime..Back in the day of Major Gowan and Fawlty Towers you could get away with this sort of thing, imagine someone producing this sort of material now. End of career time! see also: Ron Atkinson

Comments

• Options
    Always thought it was about a girl getting pregnant, that's implied in the lyrics.

But it doesn't say that explicitly or mention anything about the guy being black.

It does say "you're a disgrace to the human race". Now if it said "white race" then what you said would make sense but it doesn't.
  • Options
    Received a letter just the other day
    don't seem they wanna know you no more
    they've laid it down given you their score
    within the first two lines it bluntly read
    You're not to come see us no more
    keep away from our door
    don't come round here no more
    what on earth did you do that for?

Our Aunt she don't wanna know she says
    what will the neighbours think they'll think
    we don't that's what they'll think we don't
    but I will 'cos I know they think I don't

Our uncle he don't wanna know
    he says we are a disgrace to the human race
    he says how can you show your face
    when you're a disgrace to the human race

They've made a commitment you're an embarrassment
    yes an embarrassment a living endorsement
    the intention that you have booked
    was an intention that was overlooked

They say stay away
    don't want you home today
    keep away from our door
    don't come around here no more

Our Dad he don't wanna know he says
    this is a serious matter
    too late to reconsider
    no one's gonna wanna know ya

Our Mum she don't wanna know she says
    I'm feeling twice as old she says
    thought she had her head on her shoulders
    'cos I'm feeling twice as older
    I'm feeling twice as older

You're an embarrassment
  • Options
    at no point does this song refer to the views of madness just what people wouldve said at the time

i dont see nothing wrong with that at all

i really hope people do not make a big thing out of one of the best groups out of London and from this country in years
  • Options
    I like Madness, I reckon if anything they were just taking the piss, that's all.
  • Options
    Did you know also that Every Breath You Take by The Police is about stalking?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i really hope people do not make a big thing out of one of the best groups out of London and from this country in years

well said that man ... and the most recent album, Liberty of Norton Folgate, is stunning
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PaddyP17[/cite]Did you know also that Every Breath You Take by The Police is about stalking?

Yeah, heard an interview where Sting was saying how funny it was that so many people choose it as their wedding song when it's about stalking your ex.
  • Options
    i always thought it was actually quite a creepy song, not romantic at all.
  • Options
    wernt there a police song about a schoolgirl wanting her teacher as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]wernt there a police song about a schoolgirl wanting her teacher as well

Don't Stand So Close To Me
  • Options
    thought so
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with them lyrics at all.Whose to say what ANY song is really about.

No way on earth i'm going to bad mouth madness.They wrote the only ever song about buying johnnies for christs sake!
  • Options
    I remember that, I had the original LP (maybe even a box set) and there was a book inside explaining the songs, I can honestly say I have always thought that the song is about having a mixed race baby.
  • Options
    as mentioned i also thought it was about a mixed race baby. 'complete madness' was the first album i ever bought. i can remember being about 11-12 and walking around blackpool one summers day with my best mate, in my harrington jacket and farahs with doc martins thinkin we were so cool. i had huge madness patch sewn in middle of the back and a set of 7 button badges each with a letter spelling out the bands name and a member of the band on each one. would have been about 1982-3. happy days. still a great album. recommended to anyone that doesn't know their work.
  • Options
    Just seen this and had to point out that the sentiment of the song is the exact opposite of that implied by the OP. It is a song about the stigma involved and was to point out the negative attitudes around it from a sympathetic standpoint of support for the couple involved against the prejudice that they faced from their family. If there was one thing that Madness were, it certainly wasn't racist, quite the reverse.
  • Options
    Yeah Lee Thompson wrote it.

Thought everyone knew what it was about.

Madness wrote a lot of political songs which never got noted
    due to their 'nutty' image.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Just seen this and had to point out that the sentiment of the song is the exact opposite of that implied by the OP. It is a song about the stigma involved and was to point out the negative attitudes around it from a sympathetic standpoint of support for the couple involved against the prejudice that they faced from their family. If there was one thing that Madness were, it certainly wasn't racist, quite the reverse.

my view entirely

well said sir
  • Options
    Oh and Madness were/are great. I saw them not so long ago at the Benacassim festival in Spain and they created an instant party for around 50,000 people and all the Brits (including myself) went instantly crazy and had a fantastic time. Top stuff.

Agree what was said about the Norton Folgate; I was very impressed and surprised that it was so good - the film made about it was great too.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: PaddyP17[/cite]Did you know also that Every Breath You Take by The Police is about stalking?

REM wrote two songs on this subject: 'Strange Currencies' on Monster which was sequelled by 'Be Mine' on New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

It shows how little people listen to the words to choose the The Police song for their wedding.
    This does however lead me to a little anecdote. Our wedding video has a sequence of pictures which is played to 'It Must Have Been Love' by Roxette. We didn't choose this at all - the wedding was in Argentina and the video-man thought it was a real love song!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]If there was one thing that Madness were, it certainly wasn't racist, quite the reverse.

I definately wasnt implying Madness were racist especially coming from a SKA background and growing up in Camden area, I was just pointing out that the song told a story that these days nobody would write at the risk of being branded racist.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Talking of "Every Breath You Take" ...............Heres another little gem which IMO is the all time classic wedding first dance cock up, you should see peoples faces as the lyrics are sung. Quite clearly clients dont listen to the words when they choose "Band Of Gold" by Freda Payne as their first dance not realising the song tells a story of a recently married woman whose husband is incapable of loving her (even though he tried), resulting in the couple sleeping in separate rooms on their honeymoon, to her dismay. It would appear that the marriage ended in the husband's abandoning his bride, leaving her with no more than the titular 'band of gold'.

You would be surprised how many times this song is chosen as a first dance or as a post first dance song....

Now that you're gone
    All that's left is a band of gold
    All that's left of the dream I hold
    Is a band of gold
    And the memories of what love could be
    If you are still here with me

You took me from the shelter of a mother I had never known
    Who loved any other
    We kissed after taking vows
    But that night on our honeymoon
    We stayed in separate rooms

I wait in the darkness of my lonely room
    Filled with sadness, filled with gloom
    Hoping soon that you'll walk
    Back through that door
    And love me like you tried before

Since you've been gone
    Is a band of gold
    And the dream of what love could be

Ooh, don't you know that I wait in the darkness of my lonely room
    Filled with sadness, filled with gloom
    Hoping soon that you'll walk
    Back through that door
    And love me like you tried before

Since you've been gone
    Is a band of gold
    And the dream of what love could be
  • Options
    I think reading the actual article is pivotal here...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Just seen this and had to point out that the sentiment of the song is the exact opposite of that implied by the OP. It is a song about the stigma involved and was to point out the negative attitudes around it from a sympathetic standpoint of support for the couple involved against the prejudice that they faced from their family. If there was one thing that Madness were, it certainly wasn't racist, quite the reverse.

I raise my (Pork Pie) Hat to you sir.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I think reading the actual article is pivotal here...

from Wikipedia

The meaning behind the song was particularly dark considering the band's previous material. Primarily written by Lee Thompson, the song reflected the unfolding turmoil following the news that his teenage sister, Tracy Thompson, had become pregnant and was carrying a black man's child. The following rejection by her family, and the shame felt was reflected in the song.

This does not imply that Madness as a band had an racist tendancies, just that one band members family had issues. These days a band i think would consider more carefully what material they produced as it could reflect badly on the band which this story does if the article hadnt been read in its entirety
  • Options
    I think it's short sighted to suggest lyrics aren't as challenging these days. There are still some good popsters out their making meaningful songs. As has been said, people just don't listen to lyrics.

We all remember the meaningful songs from our 'age'. I am guessing most people in this thread are 30-40. I could point out some provocative lyrics from the 50s / 60s and I'm sure there are some 20somethings on here who have some from today. Its just the issues that tend to change.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]Its just the issues that tend to change.

good point
  • Options
    challenging lyrics

marshall mathers

cuting his wives throat and throwing her in the lake

I loved taht albumn and was bloody as dark as it could be
  • Options
    Apparently this is the only song on Callum Davenports I-Pod....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Apparently this is the only song on Callum Davenports I-Pod....

oh dear