Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

what is wrong with these footballers

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
this really does begger belief. I mean BandQ !!

Chelsea and England football star Glen Johnson has been fined for shoplifting a lavatory seat and a set of taps from B&Q.

The £30,000-a-week defender, currently on loan to Portsmouth, was spotted by security guards removing the seat from its packaging.

He was then seen to put it in the box of a cheaper version with the help of Millwall's Ben May on Wednesday at about 5.30pm.

The pair, both 22, were also seen to hide an expensive set of tap fittings under an upturned sink on their trolley.

Police arrested the footballers at the store in Dartford after they had paid for the cheaper seat and the sink. They were taken to the manager's office were they were shown CCTV pictures of their actions.

A worker at the store said: "We all recognised Johnson."

He added that nobody could believe the star would be "moronic" enough to steal the items. The pair were both given onthe-spot fines of £80.

Comments

• Options
    lol.

I always see those two around Dartford, mainly in the Litten Tree and up at Goals on a Wednesday (with Johnson's massive SUV).

They actually play 5 a side which i am sure their clubs would love to know...
  • Options
    Live at Ingress Park don't they
  • Options
    So let's get this right; two Millwall players, current and ex, steal. And the surprise is?

Let's hope to hear "there's only one shoplifter" and "where's you're toilet seat" on Saturday
  • Options
    i thought its hilarious. Of all the things to steal.... £80 spot fine, half an hours wage, just shows there is no real deterrent.

Can't see his career going down the pan though...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]
    They actually play 5 a side which i am sure their clubs would love to know...

i used to see anton ferdinand down catford powerleague at times, the tackles that go on down there west ham would not like to know.
  • Options
    Watched that Frank Sinclair play against my mate at one of those Powerleague games, he was the worst player on the pitch by a mile, complete & utter pelt,yet was playing for Chelsea (Badly mind you) at the time earning shed loads of cash.
  • Options
    probably bored and did for a laugh
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So let's get this right; two Millwall players, current and ex, steal. And the surprise is?

Let's hope to hear "there's only one shoplifter" and "where's you're toilet seat" on Saturday

or a bit of pink floyd...

'all in all you're just a..
    nother thief from the wall'
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited January 2007
    quality, nice one ltgtr
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So let's get this right; two Millwall players, current and ex, steal. And the surprise is?

millwallist!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm I the only one that doesn't really find this very funny?

Sure, no doubt it was "a dare", "a laugh", but what does it say about the type of people our footballers are that they think theft is a bit of fun. I don't suppose anyone on here would even think of doing what they are supposed to have done - or would they? - but because they're loaded they think it's a laugh and that they will get away with it. (And all whilst pocketing tens of thousands of pounds a week whilst we - collectively, not just CAFC - pay more and more for the "privilege" to watch them play)

Scumbag filth.
  • Options
    I agree entirely. Should be in their contracts that if they do things of this sort they are fined. And £80. Wow. Make it 50k and they MIGHT think twice. As you say scumbags.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    This Article was in The Sunday Times yesterday. It's by Rod Liddle, who I normally hate - he reckons he's Millwall and usually souts some rubbish - but most of what he says he struck a chord with me.

What do you lot think?

Reality cheque
  • Options
    Still don't like Liddle and not jsut cos he is a spanner fan happy to defend the racist and thugish behaviour of SOME of their fans.. And what has he actually said that wasn't put better on CL on Friday. He moans about the overpaid and overhyped premiership but is happy to earn his corn (and I bet he gets paid a lot more than a nurse as well) by writing about it those footballers and the premier league.
  • Options
    Fair point H. I'm just wondering whether this just represents the tip of the iceberg in terms of people thinking "enough is enough". Of course, what to do about it is another matter.

There's a paralell here with those insurance companies who have suddenly found out that their investment funds are worth (billions) more than they thought and are therefore planning on giving the money to shareholders rather than the customers who have been suffering crap returns on their investments. With all this extra cash flying around you can bet your life that we (in the collective sense) wont see any of it by way of price freezes or, perish the thought, reductions!
  • Options
    The sentiment in the article may be sound, but I suspect that that this incident would have occured, regardless of the amounts of money these guys are on.

In fact if football had not intervened, who knows, it might well have been their career of choice.

In my opinion, being a highly paid footballer, lawyer or doctor, doesn't alter your physcological profile. You are either capable of doing such things, or you aren't.
  • Options
    I agree with killersbeard. Some people are just greedy or out to get every freebie they can. I can afford some taps and I could spare £80 but I won't even have thought of doing what they did. Not cos I'm some angel but just cos I don't think it was right and I imagined that the punishment would be far more and publicity would embarres me.

I wonder how many people are thinking "£80 fine. We'll if I get away with it 9 times out of 10 I'm still quids in".

I thougght the idea of an on-the-spot fine was for minor cases of D&D, kids being a bit lary etc which weren't worth tieing up the police and courts with but which put you're name on file for next time not shoplifting.
  • Options
    They should've made an example of them and taken them to court. The fine is obviously no deterrent.
  • Options
    Then again a fine in court wouldn't be a deterrant either. As Large said what are there clubs doing?
  • Options
    Yeah, but the shame of taking them to court may act as a deterrent to others (not just footballers) - the example being that this is wrong and you WILL get caught and punished. The magistrate may even up the fine to a level fitting someone with that income. Even if it got turned over on appeal, the point would've been made.

You're right about the clubs of course, and the FA. What is "bringing the game into disrepute" if this isn't it???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well if you want to apply that rule then should Charlton not have been charged with bringing the game into dispute with the drugs issues re Bowyer and co?
  • Options
    No, not Charlton. The players themselves - yes, absolutely.

I'm all for people being held accountable for their own individual actions, in just about everything.