Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Definately the wrong season to go down

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
just heard Chief Exec of PL say on the radio that the team that finishes bottom next season will be guaranteed roughly the same amount as Chelsea got for winning the league last season, namely 30 million. Whoever wins it will get over 50 million. Staggering. It could become a closed shop in that those who go down will be able to hang onto their best players, or if not buy others, and go straight back up. Wrong season to get it wrong isn't it.

Comments

• Options
    So Would Darren Bent go for twice as much money when the sky money increases next season,if we get relegated and more clubs in the prem have more cash will the transfer fees increase, if not why not, we have a history of selling cheap.Ashley Young close on 10 mill, what price next season and what wage demands(I've always loved this club blah blah blah)
  • Options
    Murray said at start of season,this was the year you had to stay up.We have got it so wrong!
  • Options
    Thats why the board has to keep hold of Darren Bent in the fizzy pop league next year. CAFC needs to bounce back straight away.
  • Options
    Can we afford to keep him?
  • Options
    You dont have to spend alot of money to get back in the prem, just get arsenals youngsters on loan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Murray said at start of season,this was the year you had to stay up.We have got it so wrong!

Why .. seems right to me?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]just heard Chief Exec of PL say on the radio that the team that finishes bottom next season will be guaranteed roughly the same amount as Chelsea got for winning the league last season, namely 30 million. Whoever wins it will get over 50 million. Staggering. It could become a closed shop in that those who go down will be able to hang onto their best players, or if not buy others, and go straight back up. Wrong season to get it wrong isn't it.

Isn't all this JUST for TV revenue as well? Something to do with the foreign market?
  • Options
    if the new money kicks in for next season, is the parachute payment this summer based on this season's income, or next ??

because it could make a big difference
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]if the new money kicks in for next season, is the parachute payment this summer based on this season's income, or next ??

because it could make a big difference

exactly. i think the parachute payments are roughly £6-9m at the moment but if they are based on next season's payments this could conceivably go up by 50%.

plus we get a couple of million from our finishing position
  • Options
    the new deal means that the PL gets £900m per season for the next three years.

if that was divided equally then it would be £45m per club

crazy money
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    whilst if we go down this extra cash we are missing out on is not great I actually think that it could help make things a little more competitive in the PL. If Platini wins the UEFA vote and successfully claws back one of the champions league places from England then one of utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea are each season going to be risking losing a big wad of money. they are obviously going to factor that into any wages they pay their squads which should bring them down a little bit giving the lesser lights slightly more chance of competing with them - I admit I am probably being hopelessly naive and optimistic here but it could work out that way.