Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bailey agrees terms with Boro, passes medical on Monday (29/6)

edited June 2010 in General Charlton
Charlton captain Nicky Bailey agrees terms with Middlesbrough

Thursday, 24 June 2010

By John Stanton

NICKY Bailey’s Charlton career is effectively over after the player agreed terms with Middlesbrough.

The Addicks skipper has his heart set on a move to the Riverside and a £1.4million deal will be completed at the start of next week.

The former Southend midfielder has spoken to Boro boss Gordon Strachan and is understood to be keen on the challenge of playing for a club who will be among the favourites to win next season’s Championship.

Comments

• Options
    but is it on the OS?
  • Options
    Just like us when Nicky signed....I wish the lad well
  • Options
    The OS is to be sold off next week so I have no idea how we'll ever confirm anything again!
  • Options
    is it on the OS yet? : - )
  • Options
    If it's £1.4m upfront then that's a great deal.
  • Options
    Behave Mr.Irving or I shall whisper you!

[cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]If it's £1.4m upfront then that's a great deal.

Would love that to be the case but I doubt it.
  • Options
    can't see him going up there , it's too far away
  • Options
    whisper and be damned sir as Arthur Wellsly almost once said. : - )

Agree though about not all being upfront.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]The Addicks skipper has his heart set on a move to the Riverside.
    Hmmm.
  • Options
    This figure of £1.4 mill being quoted could cause issues if we get much less than that, as now people are expecting over a million when many were saying about £750k would be a realistic fee a couple of weeks ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to him hope it works out and hope parky gets a bit of the money and spends it wisely
  • Options
    That's been copied from the SLP and they are usually right.
  • Options
    Sky are saying Bailey will have a medical on Teeside next week and the fee is £1.4 mill 'plus' add ons! Sorry to see him go but that would be a better deal than i expected.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Sky are saying Bailey will have a medical on Teeside next week and the fee is £1.4 mill 'plus' add ons! Sorry to see him go but that would be a better deal than i expected.[/quote]

Wish they would do it all now, even on the basis that it all becomes official next week, knowing our luck he'll trip over and break his leg before he gets to sign contracts
  • Options
    Typical my Dad phones from holibobs for news and I was watering his garden and oodles of bloody pots and didn't see this. Cor that figures miles better than I expected. If we get that amount even in instalments hopefully some of it will go towards saving some of the staffs jobs.
  • Options
    On Sky Sports :

Nicky Bailey has thanked Charlton Athletic for giving him the chance to move on as he looks set to seal a switch to Middlesbrough.

The Addicks skipper is set to move to Middlesbrough next week upon the completion of a medical after he agreed terms with the Teesside club.

Boro have agreed to pay an initial £1.4million for Bailey, who is now looking forward to sealing the transfer after two years at The Valley.

"First of all I would like to thank the chairman Richard Murray, manager, staff and players for all the hard work and support they gave to me whilst at the club," Bailey told skysports.com.

"The fans of Charlton made me very welcome from day one and I would also like to thank them for that.

"I am extremely excited about the challenge ahead of me at Middlesbrough, as I know it is a massive club with plenty of passionate fans with high expectations.

"Just like I have always done in my career I will give 100 per cent and hope that it is a valuable contribution to the team."

Bailey is due for a medical at Middlesbrough on Monday and should be presented as Boro's second summer signing shortly after.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Boro have agreed to pay an initial £1.4million for Bailey

Get in. Cheers Nicky boy!
  • Options
    It will make a change for him to go back to an ex club and not get booed (f we ever play them again)
  • Options
    Good business I think, though I doubt much of it will go for a replacement, will help the wage bill.
    Anyway good luck Nicky........
  • Options
    Well done to whoever negotiated this deal if we get £1.4m. I know that he is supposedly one of the best players in L1 but I never thought another club would shell out that much for him.

Well done to the board and thanks to Nicky for your efforts, I think you made quite a good captain. Good luck for the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great bit of business that, the right move for all concerned.
  • Options
    1.4m is about double what I thought we'd get but I'm going to wait until that is confirmed on the OS before getting too carried away. Would like to see a couple of signings announced the same day as Nicky's departure to give everyone a boost instead of the impression that the tea-lady will be getting a few games next season.
  • Options
    Good business, and a nice little earner for Southend who need the money more than we do.

Its on the boro website so will hopefully be on the O/S sometime in August.
  • Options
    Another point ....... it seems the transfer is being done in the right way.
    So thanks for your part in that, Nick.

Let's hope we don't play Boro anytime soon. You just know who would score against his old club?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Good business, and a nice little earner for Southend who need the money more than we do.

Its on the boro website so will hopefully be on the O/S sometime in August.

LOL Southend, think the fee may be a little more than that with add ons so good business for club. Sorry to see him go, but lets face it, far better players have left charlton than bailey, life goes on, let's just hope we don't replace him with a journeyman but a young hungry player.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Good luck Nicky.

If that fee of £1.4M PLUS add-ons is correct, then I'm flabbergasted (sp?). I thought £750k would be decent business and didn't think we'd be able to get more than £1M, including add-ons. Tbh, it's more than he's worth imho but he's a good lad and I hope he proves me wrong and proves a success for Boro.

As Oggy says, thanks to all involved for doing the deal in the right way and well done to Muzza and co for negotiating a good price.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]let's just hope we don't replace him with a journeyman but a young hungry player.
    Like Bailey, you mean ...?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Tbh, it's more than he's worth imho but he's a good lad and I hope he proves me wrong and proves a success for Boro.

I guess Boro are thinking something like, he's scored 13 for Charlton from midfield in each of the past 2 seasons ...... if he can do that again for us, and it helps get us promotion - then money well spent.

You can bet your life, any add-ons will include a clause about Boro winning promotion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Tbh, it's more than he's worth imho but he's a good lad and I hope he proves me wrong and proves a success for Boro.
    It is perhaps more than he's worth, but we know he can score goals at Championship level. Despite some poor mistakes at this level we've seen him play well a league above without making those errors.

If Boro can get a proper defensive midfielder alongside him, and a couple of more clever creative players Bailey will look very good.

Last season for us he tried to be the goalscorer and creative player. With better players around him doing the creative stuff he can keep it simple and score goals.

That said I don't know what their midfield is, if they want him there to try and control games he will probably look very average. All about how they want to use him, he's perhaps one of those players who is as good the players around him, whatever level he plays at.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]let's just hope we don't replace him with a journeyman but a young hungry player.
    Like Bailey, you mean ...?

No Oggy, Bailey has never spent more than two seasons anywhere, I am talking about players who are desperate to play at a club like Charlton, who would kill to play at a stadium like ours week in week out, young raw, bit like Shelvey LOL