Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Slovenia

rumour is that the team is

James
Johnson Terry Upson A Cole
Milner Barry Lampard Gerrard
Defoe Rooney

maybe not picking J Cole as a statement as to who's in charge !!

Comments

• Options
    If that is the team then i don't really see what he's really changed other than Defoe in for Heskey.
    Milner is not going to beat a man and get down the wing and he has played in the centre all season for Villa. Gerrard can't play on the left either.
  • Options
    That team should beat Slovenia, the line up against Algeria should have beaten them and but for Robert Green the line up against the USA would have won.

Same old England. Freeze in a tournament.

Currently laughing at France but wouldnt be surprised if the rest of the world are laughing at us by 5pm tomorrow!
  • Options
    It just doesn't make ANY sense! Why cut off your nose to spite your face? Joe Cole plays left, Gerrard plays off Rooney

4-2-3-1

That's the only way we can progress in this tournament.
  • Options
    Agree with supaclive.

Have a feeling that Slovenia will play so deep that Defoe will be ineffective, as he is all about getting in behind. Got to play Rooney on the last man and leave a big hole for Gerrard to exploit....with two attacking wide midfielders pulling their back four apart.
  • Options
    gotta agree with supaclive, that's the way forward....personally I think had JT not said what he did, then Cole would've played. Terry's probably done him no favours. Capello won't pick him as he'll be seen to be bowing to player pressure.

My guess is that should we go through then we would then go this way into the knockout phase.
  • Options
    If you are going to play gerrard left midfield you might as well play lampard or even upson left midfield. If Joe cole doesnt get a look in tomorrow and gerrard is on the left then i cant understand the manager.
  • Options
    why would Capello even pick EMILE HESKEY ?
    Martin ONeill has selected Gaby Abgonlahor for 36 matches this season while Heskey played in 31. (Abgonlahor bagged 13 goals and Heskey only 3) -
    It makes no f'n sense to play a terrible Center Forward who is out of form... Bench Heskey Bring on Defoe or Crouch.

Also, GERRARD AND LAMPARD ARE TERRIBLE PLAYING TOGETHER!!! They are so similar and they offer the same qualities to the team.

James, Johnson, Upson, Terry, Cole, Milner, Gerrard, Barry, Cole, Rooney, Defoe
  • Options
    anyone else reading it as capello managing with fear?
    seems like he's reverted to an italian style midfield set up with all 4 capable of playing anywhere across the midfield but with no out and out wingers.
  • Options
    For all those in favour of playing Gerrard in behind Rooney I read today that only once has that happened and that was three years ago. Not sure if that's true but would seem to be not the time to be trying out untested formations IMO.
  • Options
    Capello likes 4 4 2 and he has had a lot of success with it. Can't see him messing around with formations he doesn't rate at this point. This team if correct should be easily strong enough to beat Slovenia and anything less would be an absolute embarrassment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    James

Johnson-Terry-Upson-Cole

Milner-Lampard-Barry-J Cole

Gerrard

Rooney

Can't see Defoe making a difference, Joe Cole needs to play and Gerrard should be be in the centre.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]

Currently laughing at France but wouldnt be surprised if the rest of the world are laughing at us by 5pm tomorrow!

Losing and going out the tournament is one thing. Arguments between players and staff, players going on strike, swearing at the manager etc is something else. Even the French are describing themselves as the laughing stock of the world at the moment. I don't see us losing a match changing that; after all only 16 out of the 32 can stay in it.
  • Options

James
    Johnson Terry Upson A.Cole
    -
    Milner Gerrard Barry J.Cole
    -
    Defoe - Crouch

complete changes are what is required.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    James
    -
    Milner Gerrard Barry J.Cole
    -
    Defoe - Crouch

complete changes are what is required.

I would agree with that although I sense that Rooney will hold his place.

However, if its 0-0 at HT and Rooney has been as bad as he was against Algeria then Capello will have to think about subbing him for Crouch.
  • Options
    joe cole the emperors new clothes ...... at least chelsea no he aint all that and have jogged him on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Likely line-up will be as EA quoted originally:

James

Milner Barry Lampard

Gerrard

Defoe Rooney

A team that should be able to win today. I can see Capello's thinking behind it, getting the full backs pushed on as much as possible, with little width from the midfield as we try to take command of the midfield (something we havent done so far).
    Gerrard will probably be given a free role when in possesion but fill in a left midfield when we are without it. I just hope that Rooney doesnt keep coming deep and leave Defoe isolated on his own.
  • Options
    Emile Heskey hit the net with 500 shots in succession during training yesterday.

It appears that his tennis is just as bad as his football....
  • Options
    Cole should play, Milner is not at his level internationally, the fact he is fit should override the fact he hasnt had a lot of football, quality player and has done it before for England.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone had a bet on Englands winning margin in this game?

Just seen that they are only offering 8/1 for England to win by 4 or more goals! Unbelievably crap price based on form so far
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4-2
  • Options
    An Alan Curbishley narrow midfield.

Still not convinced that we simply have to play Gerrard behind Rooney and Joe Cole on the left. It's the performances that are the most important thing. A formation change won't suddenly mean we'd create loads of chances and control games. I'd have liked to see if but I think poor performances are the reason they've struggled, not a slightly different formation.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Half Time/Full Time at 11/10 seems to be the best bet. Even h/cap -1 is 5/4 virtually same odds but England only have to score once with ht/ft. Id like to think we come out all guns blazing and get at least one in the first half but the amount of times iv thought that at Charlton it never works out that way regardless of opposition

England to score a penalty 5/1
  • Options
    Playing Gerrard on the left again will be a joke. Play him central & we'll be ok, personally think we need to drop Fat Frank but that's an argument for another day.
  • Options
    Team is confirmed as Valley Gary listed above. Capello lives or dies by his team selection today, no wingers and what is essentially 4 central midfielders.
    Personally i think he'd have played Joe Cole if it wasn't for what Terry said.

Oh well, we shall see. 75 minutes to kick off, come on England!!
  • Options
    John Terry to score anytime 10/1 - £10 stake. Can see him going from Villan to Hero.
  • Options
    BBC Radio 5 live's Graham Taylor

"This selection has the smell of players being involved in it. I'm not disturbed with this formation [if it is 4-3-2-1] because I believe it is something that the players want."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]BBC Radio 5 live's Graham Taylor

"This selection has the smell of players being involved in it. I'm not disturbed with this formation [if it is 4-3-2-1] because I believe it is something that the players want."

No Joe Cole though, which the players wanted hey Turnip
  • Options
    I heard this was the team Terry wanted
  • Options
    Tilda Swinton in the number 5 shirt.