Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Manager - No Respect

Been reading some of the things which have been going on with the England team over the last few days.

it seems to me that the players have no respect for the manager or his achievements.

I didnt agree with his squad, but saying that the majority of players are the same that qualified easily, so why have the players reacted the way they have.

I dont understand their (or terrys) clamour to bring in Cole or the insistance to play rooney alone - we certainly didnt in qualifying.

Now if I am Capello after the WC or I am a new manager, I think I would dispense with most if not all the players. Time to bring in new blood. Personally I would have no players over 25. This 'golden generation' are a waste so i would look to build to the next WC with players who will peak then.

Any dissent and i would send the players home.

Comments

• Options
    The more I think about it the more I think Curbs would have been a good choice for England manager rather than McClaren or Capello.
    I don't think he'd tolerate some of the big ego's and would have picked players like Parker and Bent who at least would have given 100%.
    They'd be well deciplined and organised. NZ showed us last night how far that alone can take a team.
  • Options
    I think Curbs would have been a disaster as England manager, and it wouldn't have been his fault. There is way too much politics involved at top level football and if the players have the audacity to question someone like Capello and his track record, what on earth do you think they would think of Curbs?

It's not like he could go in there and start dropping the big name players, the FA wouldn't have it, there is far too much sponsorship money and revenues to be had from keeping these players in than having them dropped. The England team is a circus act, whored out every other year and generates more in advertising revenue than any of the biggest clubs in the world. You can't go anywhere without seeing John Terry or Wayne Rooney's mug plastered all over a chocolate bar, a tin of lager, walking past a building society, crikey even in M+S and the 'England team suits, yours for only £199'.

The Premier League whored itself out to Sky, and we all contribute towards that organised cartel with tv subscriptions etc but the England team takes it all to another level and we as a public continue to feed it. We then get angry with ourselves at these overpaid and overrated prima donnas, the media loves it because they can feed on that anger, we all call for the managers head and the circle is complete. It's the fundamentals of those that run the game and the politics of it that will always hinder any manager in charge, no matter who it is.
  • Options
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that Curbs said that as part of the interview process he was asked "would you drop {insert name here - probably Beckham at the time}?"
    Knowing Curbs' track record, I'm pretty sure he would've said "Yes" & the FA wouldn't have liked that.
  • Options
    The more i hear about Capello's style the more i cant help but change my opinion of his suitability for International management. The guy is obviously extremely strict.....and this is probably why his club record is so good. His players respect him as their full-time boss.
    However, at International level, especially in major tournaments, you have to have a bit of a flexible approach. Strictness needs to be met with allowing the players to relax. Sven was too relaxed.....Mclaren didnt even gain any respect to get us too a tournament and Hoddle was just a fruit. The last manager i can think of who had a bit of balance was Venables. During qualification Capello only has the players for a week at a time. Leading up to and including the World Cup he has them for 6/7 weeks. It has come to light that the players are extremely bored and are probably tired of it all. I agree they have to be more professional and get on with it....but imo its something that Capello will need to be aware of if he is too suceed with England.
  • Options
    Poor little lambs are bored.... my heart bleeds for them it really does!!
  • Options
    Lets just forget who it is and how much they are paid for a moment......

stuck in a room for 5 hours almost everyday for over 2 weeks. Cant be great can it?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Bored? Are you kidding me, they are there to represend their country at the world cup, it's not a theme park ffs.
  • Options
    So you think for 4 weeks they should be like machines. Club players turn up for training for 2 hours and then go home. On international duty, the players are together the whole time and it sounds like Capello doesnt let them ou of their rooms. How on earth can that be good for morale?
  • Options
    Total bollocks.

Terry et al are just pissed off because they finally have a boss who doesn't take any crap and doesn't let the Bertie Big Bollocks players rule the roost.

Terry basically tried to do to Capello what he did to Mourinho and Capello stared him down, dared him to have a crack and Terry lacked the balls to do it.

Capello is the absolute business, look at his record, he doesn't want distractions, drinking or any bullshit and if the players can't put up with that for a couple of weeks then they should be ashamed of themselves.

Whatever happens in the WC Capello should walk away from the job, the players do not deserve a manager of that class.

As for Curbishley doing the job - please be serious the press and players would have eaten him alive in about three weeks.

The only Englishman who could do it would be Redknapp but he obviously won't get the job.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yeah its really working.

My original post was just trying to say that i feel the England manager needs to be a little more flexible in his approach when he has a group of players together for over 4 weeks.

Cool your jets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here's a tip.

Look at Capello's managerial record for the last 20 years - he has won everything.

Then look at the shite performances of England's national team since the start of the 2006 World Cup.....

Compare, contrast and work out that Capello is not the problem, its the players.
  • Options
    He does let them out of their rooms - there is pool, darts etc etc but yes they are bored sitting around a 5 star hotel between lunch and dinner... lets get the WAGS over there to cheer them up.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]So you think for 4 weeks they should be like machines. Club players turn up for training for 2 hours and then go home. On international duty, the players are together the whole time and it sounds like Capello doesnt let them ou of their rooms. How on earth can that be good for morale?

Plus yes i expect them to be machines. they are there to win the world cup - the highest honour bestowed on a footballer. Who gives a shite if they are bored. Get on with the job.
  • Options
    We should send then to Afghanistan and see how they like it there instead...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By:John Terry[/cite]"There are things to do around the training camp: mini darts tournaments, snooker and pool. But a bit of boredom kicks in. It's six or seven hours until we meet up for dinner again."

Yeah, locked away in rooms.
  • Options
    You expect them to deliver but dont give a shite about them. Righty'o.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]So you think for 4 weeks they should be like machines. Club players turn up for training for 2 hours and then go home. On international duty, the players are together the whole time and it sounds like Capello doesnt let them ou of their rooms. How on earth can that be good for morale?

Plus yes i expect them to be machines. they are there to win the world cup - the highest honour bestowed on a footballer. Who gives a shite if they are bored. Get on with the job.

My mate here works on the mines in NW Queensland, he spends five weeks at a time living on a mine site in the middle of nowhere with 500 blokes. They have no alcohol on site and have nothing more than the usual darts, TV, snooker, gym etc. to keep themselves amused.

He hates it but gets paid A$200,000 per year so does it to provide a better future for his family - he has been doing this for about five years and has a wife and two kids in Brisbane.

This lot are whinging after five weeks......what a bunch of wankers (sorry AFKA!).
  • Options
    The "Golden Generation" remind me of the Crystal Palace "team of the eighties"
  • Options
    What Ormiston and Curb-it said especially this

"Compare, contrast and work out that Capello is not the problem, its the players."

and this

"Plus yes i expect them to be machines. they are there to win the world cup - the highest honour bestowed on a footballer. Who gives a shite if they are bored. Get on with the job."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By:John Terry[/cite]"There are things to do around the training camp: mini darts tournaments, snooker and pool. But a bit of boredom kicks in. It's six or seven hours until we meet up for dinner again."

forgot they were staying in Byker Grove.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]

Alf Ramsey ran a similar ship in 1966 and that turned out ok.

Mind you we had a better class of person playing for England back then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]You expect them to deliver but dont give a shite about them. Righty'o.

That sentence was deemed too offensive to broadcast in the last ever episode of Postman Pat but can still be viewed on the DVD.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Capello is the absolute business, look at his record

Well his international record at major tournaments is Played 2, Drawn 2.

Like my OP implied, his club record is superb. Just maybe he isnt made out for international football. Two completely different kettles of fish.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It does beg the question, what do you expect the players to have?

They already have mini darts tournaments, snooker and pool, been on a safari, had days off in cape town/johan.

Did they really go out there expecting to be partying up all the time? probably, the idiots.

Everywhere they go the media turn it into a circus and that's the players own doing, how else can Capello run the show, apart from keeping them in the middle of nowhere?
  • Options
    Quite simply they are there to do a job, a job that virtually anyone else would be prepared to do, regardless of the circumstances! If the manager said jump the reply should be how high, and how many times....... not why!, why me,and why should I!.....

Not that England are alone in this nonsense!. The world of the pro footballer has got a bit distorted from reality I am afraid.

Playing in the world cup should be the highest acheivement a footballer can aim for, being there is a priveledge!
    If you do not understand that, decline to go as a player!.......
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Capello is the absolute business, look at his record

Well his international record at major tournaments is Played 2, Drawn 2.

Like my OP implied, his club record is superb. Just maybe he isnt made out for international football. Two completely different kettles of fish.

You may be right there, they are two different styles of management.

The bottom line is that the players, especially Terry, have now deployed their PR teams to try and blame Capello and his management style for their abject failures so far - this is because they are a bunch of gutless pricks.

Let's look at recent England managers...

Glenn Hoddle - "Great Player" - Team failed in 1998 WC

Kevin Keegam - "Great Player, Man of the People, "Mr. Heart and Sould," - Team Failed in Euro 2000.

Sven Goran Ericksonn - "Cool and urbane Swede with 'light touch' style" - Team failed in WC 2002, Euro 2004 and WC 2006

Steve McLaren - "Players Mate, Mr. Casual, Man United history," - Team failed to qualify for Euro 2008

Fabio Capello - "Strict take-no-prisoners Italian" - Team plays abject draws with US and Algeria in WC 2010.......

Are we seeing any overall patterns here?
  • Options
    I think that the press are lining up to blame Capello when we are knocked out.

Most of the press need the contacts and exclusives from the England players to do their jobs. They don't want to completely destroy those relationships.

Many will find it much easier to blame Capello as that will mean they can return to telling us that all these players are world class, that we were unlucky yet again and that we would have won it this time if only we hadn't lost (der, that's how knock out football works).

If we had won both games the press would be praising Capello's strict regime and how the lack of distractions has made the team focus. They certainly praised it before when we qualified.

Now it is being spun the other way.
  • Options
    I think it's all irrelevant. The bottom line is, 5 / 10 years ago it was generally accepted that our 2 best players were Beckham and Owen. They're no longer in the team, Rooney is overrated and the premiership foreigners we buy in to do what our players can't are not there to help. We have half a good side and the only way we could possibly win a world cup would be to grind out results. we are nothing more than a second tier international footballing nation. That is the reality so we might as well ditch the foreign expensive manager experiment and give the job to Redknapp. Failing that, Hodgson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I think that the press are lining up to blame Capello when we are knocked out.

Most of the press need the contacts and exclusives from the England players to do their jobs. They don't want to completely destroy those relationships.

Many will find it much easier to blame Capello as that will mean they can return to telling us that all these players are world class, that we were unlucky yet again and that we would have won it this time if only we hadn't lost (der, that's how knock out football works).

If we had won both games the press would be praising Capello's strict regime and how the lack of distractions has made the team focus. They certainly praised it before when we qualified.

Now it is being spun the other way.

Very true.

The problem for the players is that Capello is 64 year old, has done it all and has his $50 million "Screw You" money nicely tucked up in the bank.

If they do try and pin it on Capello then my bet is that he would do a nice BBC prime-time interview pouring a bucket of shite right back on them and telling a few home-truths.

I seriously doubt that Capello would ever let any of this bunch of herberts turn him over.
  • Options
    Perhaps we should set up a world cup for players who play at the second tier as a maximum of their respective league structures. Might well be less skilful but you'd probably feel a little closer to their endeavours on the field. While I'm musing, perhaps it can be done without FIFA who live in taller ivory towers than any of the players that are currently leaving me cold.