Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Organ Donor - Please take time to consider

2»

Comments

• Options
    I am registered, not sure whether they can use my organs as I've had cancer, can no longer give blood due to many transfusions. If you're willing to receive an organ, you should be willing to donate.
  • Options
    I signed up a few years ago, I think it might have been off the back of a thread on here.

I don't understand why you wouldn't, it's not like for every story like Chizz's there's a story of some poor guy that woke up from death and started trying to walk about with no eyes... It's the human squeamishness inside us I think that often stops us giving the very gift of life itself.

• Options
    Chizz said:

True story:

My older sister was a Charlton fan. When we were kids, she would join me, my Dad and our older brother at The Valley and scream and shout as much as anyone.

Her favourite player was Colin Powell. I can still remember the squeals of delight when we met him after a match once, and he agreed to sign her arm with pink felt-tip pen. We rushed home and showed my Mum (who naturally ordered her to wash it off immediately). And she showed everyone at school on the Monday (having refused *ever* to wash that part of her arm ever again, ever. Ever).

She did many things, usually very well. She was an accomplished tennis player. And she was a singer and a dancer too, performing on stage in the West End. But I'll always remember her as a Charlton fan, standing with me and my Dad on the East terrace.

It's ironic that the lungs that helped her cheer Charlton on at The Valley for so many years were what let her down.

Through no fault of her own - an inherited condition - her lungs failed. Not through smoking (although that can't have helped) and not through anything she caused herself. She was just dealt a very, very unlucky hand of cards.

People like my sister can be saved - literally given a new life - if there are enough people on the donors' register. It's easy to sign up. Have a look at the original post on this thread. There really can be no excuse for not doing so. Please do it. You really can save someone's life.

So, maybe you want to know what happened? This week, my brother-in-law, my nephew and my sister celebrated the fourth anniversary of her double-lung transplant. Made possible by one kind donor, one brave donor's family, one brilliant medical team and one very brave, very determined, very, very happy big sister.

Please sign the register now.

I am bumping this shamelessly. (1) because I am hoping it will prompt another "like" because it's stuck on 13 and (2) because it remains important that people sign the register. Please do.
  • Options
    Thank you to number 14!
  • Options
    On the organ register, bone marrow register, and donate blood. So easy. Great news chizz
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

On the organ register, bone marrow register, and donate blood. So easy. Great news chizz

That's another one, registering for the bone marrow list. At least in the states, all they do is swab the inside of your cheek with a q-tip, and you're entered into a national registry.
  • Options
    I registered about a month ago. Easy to do and makes total sense. And makes living last a bit longer!
  • Options
    The Government should give an incentive by contributing towards the funeral costs (a percentage discount) if you are an organ donor on the basis there is less to bury/cremate and the receiver of the organs will ultimately be less dependent on the health service.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

we should have an opt-out system instead of an opt-in one. If you were really that bothered that you didn't want your organs used you would make sure you'd opt-out. Makes sense in my opinion and would save many, many more lives. As for blood donation, people need to put themselves out and do it, it doesn't take long and isn't life threatening. No excuse not to in my opinion.

Disagree with this so much. Personal reasons that I'm not going into on here.

I agree people should opt in, I agree more people need to make their organs available. I disagree with making it the default.

P.s I am registered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

we should have an opt-out system instead of an opt-in one. If you were really that bothered that you didn't want your organs used you would make sure you'd opt-out. Makes sense in my opinion and would save many, many more lives. As for blood donation, people need to put themselves out and do it, it doesn't take long and isn't life threatening. No excuse not to in my opinion.

Disagree with this so much. Personal reasons that I'm not going into on here.

I agree people should opt in, I agree more people need to make their organs available. I disagree with making it the default.

P.s I am registered.
    I'd love to know if there is a reason why it shouldn't be on an automatic, opt-out basis. The advantages far outweigh any disadvantages. Although, I appreciate that's because I can't think of any disadvantages whatsoever.
  • Options
    I am in the club of those that they don't want, although I take medication which I carry a full description of at all times, with my medical stuff I now carry my donor card and a very clear letter explaining my wishes maybe it could help somebody in the future.
  • Options
    Signed up many years ago.
  • Options
    I carry a donor card, take anything you want, even eyes . Mentioned that because
    my brother is also a card holder, but said, there not having his eyes.

Due to a misspent period of my life, I can't donate blood either, no, it wasn't drugs.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    True story: My older sister was a Charlton fan. When we were kids, she would join me, my Dad and our older brother at The Valley and scream and shout as much as anyone. Her favourite player was Colin Powell. I can still remember the squeals of delight when we met him after a match once, and he agreed to sign her arm with pink felt-tip pen. We rushed home and showed my Mum (who naturally ordered her to wash it off immediately). And she showed everyone at school on the Monday (having refused *ever* to wash that part of her arm ever again, ever. Ever). She did many things, usually very well. She was an accomplished tennis player. And she was a singer and a dancer too, performing on stage in the West End. But I'll always remember her as a Charlton fan, standing with me and my Dad on the East terrace. It's ironic that the lungs that helped her cheer Charlton on at The Valley for so many years were what let her down. Through no fault of her own - an inherited condition - her lungs failed. Not through smoking (although that can't have helped) and not through anything she caused herself. She was just dealt a very, very unlucky hand of cards. People like my sister can be saved - literally given a new life - if there are enough people on the donors' register. It's easy to sign up. Have a look at the original post on this thread. There really can be no excuse for not doing so. Please do it. You really can save someone's life. So, maybe you want to know what happened? This week, my brother-in-law, my nephew and my sister celebrated the fourth anniversary of her double-lung transplant. Made possible by one kind donor, one brave donor's family, one brilliant medical team and one very brave, very determined, very, very happy big sister. Please sign the register now.
    Please sign the register.  

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-to-donate/register-your-details/

• Options
    Isn’t the law changing so that now you have to opt out as opposed to opting in?
  • Options
    April 2020

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/all-about-opt-out/
  • Options
    That would be great news, like @Chizz I can't think of a single disadvantage.

I wonder if @Dazzler21 still feels the same way, I'd love to understand the objection.
  • Options
    I have no idea what my reasoning was on this.

I'm still a registered donor, but the only part of that belief i have always felt is that it's your body and you should get the choice.

I suppose that option is still there, but the default is changed, so yeah whatever. Everything is so easy to do online these days, no objection remains.
  • Options
    Just seen this thread and opted in as a result, can use that next time anyone says CL is good for nothing... Always assumed everyone was opted in automatically!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done
  • Options
    I did this fairly recently. The only part of me I felt a bit weird about giving up was my lower colon. I think I'd rather have a bag than someone else's arse if push came to shove 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    True story: My older sister was a Charlton fan.

When we were kids, she would join me, my Dad and our older brother at The Valley and scream and shout as much as anyone. Her favourite player was Colin Powell. I can still remember the squeals of delight when we met him after a match once, and he agreed to sign her arm with pink felt-tip pen. We rushed home and showed my Mum (who naturally ordered her to wash it off immediately). And she showed everyone at school on the Monday (having refused *ever* to wash that part of her arm ever again, ever. Ever).

She did many things, usually very well. She was an accomplished tennis player. And she was a singer and a dancer too, performing on stage in the West End.

But I'll always remember her as a Charlton fan, standing with me and my Dad on the East terrace.

It's ironic that the lungs that helped her cheer Charlton on at The Valley for so many years were what let her down.

Through no fault of her own - an inherited condition - her lungs failed. Not through smoking (although that can't have helped) and not through anything she caused herself. She was just dealt a very, very unlucky hand of cards.

People like my sister can be saved - literally given a new life - if there are enough people on the donors' register. It's easy to sign up. Have a look at the original post on this thread. There really can be no excuse for not doing so. Please do it. You really can save someone's life.

So, maybe you want to know what happened? This week, my brother-in-law, my nephew and my sister celebrated the fourth anniversary of her double-lung transplant. Made possible by one kind donor, one brave donor's family, one brilliant medical team and one very brave, very determined, very, very happy big sister.

Please sign the register now.
    From tomorrow, please don't visit the register. That's where you can opt out.  But, seriously... don't.
  • Options
    Had no idea this had changed (I was a registered organ donor anyway) having just reread the thread

Hope your sister is still well
  • Options
    I’ve said for many, many years that to increase organ donation they needed to make it opt out not opt in. I’m convinced that most people would agree to organ donation but for one reason or another just hadn’t signed up. It will be interesting to see how many opt out.
  • Options
    I’ve said for many, many years that to increase organ donation they needed to make it opt out not opt in. I’m convinced that most people would agree to organ donation but for one reason or another just hadn’t signed up. It will be interesting to see how many opt out.
    Very few I would hope, for the same reason that it takes action to opt out.
    My understanding is that families still have a veto even if the donor hadn't opted out.