Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car exhaust question

I know about as much about motors as Ron Atkinson does about political correctness so wondering if anyone on here knows.

The exhaust has detached on the missus's car (the mid section) and she wants to take it to Kwik Fit. They said it'll either need a new link pipe (he said that's what it sounds like has gone) or at worst 3 new sections of exhaust, but they'll look at it when she goes. Could either cost £43 or up to £168, they reckon and I'm a bit dubious as Ive heard they can be a bit Kwik in overcharging.

Am I right to be skeptical i.e. could it be just a case of them needing to re-attach/ secure the existing exhaust pipe or is it reasonable that they would need to replace it as above?

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Hey mate, found Kwik Fit to be pretty decent for price, but then that's round here, not sure what their like up in the Smoke ;-) Depends what sort of damage their is on the actual exhaust but you can get away with part-replacements when it comes to exhausts, you shouldn't have to replace the whole thing unless it's properly knackered.
  • Options
    It's true KWIK Fit are not the cheapest, if you know any mechanics just get them to have a quick look first. It's doubtful they would change anything that did not need replacing though.
  • Options
    Cheers chaps
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Why not get the special exhaust paint job while you're there........
  • Options
    Dont use Kwik Fit in Strood....fucking robbing cheating bastards.....Kwik Fit Fitter? I fucking shit em ! 2nd thoughts dont go to fucking Strood full stop !
  • Options
    My trusty local independent mechanic has a very low opinion of Kwik Fit - reckons he's constantly having to correct things they've chuffed up and told me one very alarming story about a bodge job they did on one of his customers brakes.

Without seeing the car it's a bit difficult to tell - the front section is usually the most expensive bit and it's possible the middle section first breaking and then, presumably, hanging off has damaged the other 2 sections in such a way that a new middle section will no longer connect cleanly to the old bits. Price obviously varys with ar make and model but the prices sound about the going rate although it's a while since I've had to buy an exhaust.

What he's saying is not necessarily untrue, but he could be paving the way to make that sucky through the teeth noise and smack you with massive bill for work you don't really need. Unless it's something reallly simple like new tyres, personally I'd always pay a bit extra and use a local independent garage you feel you can trust - they have more to lose by gaining a bad rep as word of mouth is what tends to get (and lose) these guys their trade.
  • Options
    A few years ago I needed a new exhast and a couple of new rear tyres, so off to Kwick-Fit in Bromley I went and got them done at the same time.

A day or two later I heard a rattling noise from the rear end assuming that the exhaust wasn't fitted properly so I took the car back - reminding them that they fitted the exhaust a few days ago and it should be warranty etc. The mechanic told me that there was nothing wrong with the exhaust, but asked if I had I changed the tyre myself, as whoever had done it hadn't tightened up one of the bolts properly and I was lucky that the entire tyre hadn't worked itself loose...
  • Options
    thanks for the advice people. Will pass it on and go with her and act as if I know what Im talking about. ;-)

BFR she mentioned she is either taking it to Bromley or Sydenham one. I'll pass on your story if she considers the former!
  • Options
    Sydenham was OK for me over several years and cars.

They will show you exhaust when it's on the vehicle lift.
  • Options
    I worked at Kwik Fit many many years ago.
    Has a minimum charge per vehicle through the doors policy.
    thieving robbing bastards allegedly
    Have never been to noe again and never ever will.
    Utter gits
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've never had a problem with them, although someone my sister knows was having a new exhaust fitted and was told that he needed new front shocks as they were leaking oil. He asked to see the manager, who confirmed it. He then asked the manager why gas filled shocks would be leaking oil. The manager shat himself and did not charge for the exhaust!