Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++++CHARLTON LIFE WORLD CUP SPREAD BETTING COMPETITION (CLOSED - WINNER - DAVE STORRY+

With our regular Predictions League currently slouched on a rickety Benidorm beach supping San Miguel, a new competition has been introduced for the Summer Spectacular, the Charlton Life World Cup Spread Betting Competition. And still with the dubious first prize of a signed Charlton shirt (08/09 season).

The Rules

You have an imaginary £500 to place FOUR BETS split accordingly; one each at £200, £150, £100 and £50.

Each nation competing in the World Cup is given a spread rather than fixed odds; points are then awarded to each nation on the basis of how they perform in the tournament.

Points are awarded as follows:

Winner = 100 points
Runner up = 75 points
Beaten Semi finalist = 50 points
Beaten ¼ finalist = 25 points
Beaten in 2nd round = 10 points
Group exit = 0 points

The way you earn (or lose) your imaginary money is simply by either BUYING the higher spread of a country if you think they are going to score more points (do better) than their spread suggests, or by SELLING the lower spread of a country you think is going to register less points (do worse than the spread suggests).

Each entrant will also be asked how many goals (in normal time) will be scored in the whole competition. This will be used as a decider in the event of a tie.

The Spreads

Group A

South Africa……..9 – 11
Mexico…………..8 – 10
Uruguay………….6 – 8
France……………23 – 25

Group B

Argentina……….30 – 32
Nigeria…………..8 – 10
South Korea..…5 – 7
Greece…………..6 – 8

Group C

England…………33 – 35
USA…………….10 – 12
Algeria…………..3 – 5
Slovenia…………3 – 5

Group D

Germany………...28 – 30
Australia…………6 – 8
Serbia……………10 – 12
Ghana……………10 – 12

Group E

Netherlands………26 – 28
Denmark………….8 – 10
Japan……………...3 – 5
Cameroon…………7 – 9

Group F

Italy….……………27 – 29
Paraguay…………..9 – 11
New Zealand………1 – 2
Slovakia……………5 – 7

Group G

Brazil………………38 – 40
North Korea………..1 – 2
Ivory Coast…………17 – 19
Portugal…………….19 – 21

Group H

Spain………………..41 – 43
Switzerland………….6 – 8
Honduras…………….2 – 4
Chile………………...15 - 17

How to Enter:

When sending a reply to this post, in the ‘whisper comments to’ section above the text box, type in AFKABartram. Then type in your four predictions, in the following example style:

Your username

£200 BUY Brazil @ 40
£150 SELL Argentina @ 30
£100 SELL England @ 33
£50 BUY Italy @ 29

Goals in Competition - 86

If you are a CL luddite and can’t work out whispers, then send your username, 4 predictions and goals count to afka@charltonlife.com.

Entries to be received by 3pm Friday 11th June. Once competition is closed, all entries will be posted on here. I try and get a runners-up prize from somewhere.

Still not clear on the concept?

Looking at the spreads above, and use Netherlands as an example.

With a spread of 26-28, they will need to get to the semi finals (and record a minimum of 50pts) to earn money if you were buying their spread @28. If you felt confident that the Netherlands could win the tournament then you might want to consider using your highest stake (£200). Should they win it, it will be worth 100 points. By predicting they would score higher than 28 points, you would receive 72 points (100-28=72). 72x£200 would return you a profit of £14,400 on this bet.

Similarly, if you think the Netherlands were going to do poorly, then sell @26. If they went out in the 2nd round (registering just 10 points), you would receive 16 points (26-10=16). If using your £200 bet, this would return a profit of £3,200.

Comments

• Im confused. com, will have a think later and whisper if i can understand more

also i already have a charlton shirt for 08-09, can i have a CL badge instead ;o)
  • what part are you confused about Johnny ?

You have 4 predictions to make. You choose 4 countries that you think are either going to do better or worse than the spreads indicates against the points that can be won.

If you get it right then you win points, if you get it wrong then you lose points. The one of your four predictions you are most confident on, you make as your main bet (£200). The one you are least confident on you do as your least bet (£50).

The person with the most points at the end wins the competition.

Rupert, are you confused as well ?
  • lol i think i get it more there just there was alot of writing in there which obviously threw me

and you cant put me in the same breath as Rupert surely ;o)

Ill whisper you tonight
  • Done.
  • Think I'll pass on this....Don't understand Betting "odds" at-all.
    (Think betting is the only "Vice" I don't do.....)
  • Certainly got me scratching my head for a bit
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Think I'll pass on this....Don't understand Betting "odds" at-all.
    (Think betting is the only "Vice" I don't do.....)

same, i'll have to give this a miss, i'm lost!
  • Do others not understand ?

Can anyone who does understand think of a way of explaining it clearer to how i did ?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Do others not understand ?

Can anyone who does understand think of a way of explaining it clearer to how i did ?

Once I read it a couple of times it went in but as I'm new to spread betting I expected that. Of course I may have done my entry completely wrong so I won't start high-fiving all comers just yet!
  • I'm not a betting person but I got it.

Well I think I did ; - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Everyone who has entered so far seems to have understood it fine.
  • I don't think your explanation is the problem but rather that spread betting is an unfamiliar concept to some of us irregular betters (is there such a word?) being a relatively new format.

My betting is limited to an each way or two on the Grand National and a flutter on the first scorer at Charlton games so give me a bit of time to suss it all out.
  • If Ooh Aah would give us his bets in public, as he normally does, it might make it clearer...
  • edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]If Ooh Aah would give us his bets in public, as he normally does, it might make it clearer...

Oi! Weegie READ YOUR WHISPERS : - )
  • Afka, I'm sure you wrote it fine....
    I'm just THICK when it comes to any betting.

(Sandra, reading over my shoulder, said I should have finshed that last sentence after 3 words....)
  • I was so confused reading this (but never done spread betting before) until the end when you have used Holland as an example, i think reading that has made it make sense in my head. Will enter later/tomorrow when i have more time.
  • I am definately going to buy Solvenia. They play twice as many games as everyone else...
  • edited June 2010
    i get the part your betting on people to win or lose at the prices shown, what i dont get is how it gets into points. well i think i may do just with the points added in there i think thats probably what is confusing everyone(well me) still ill play

edit- i finally get it now the cogs are on freestyle!
  • MOG and others struggling, this is my last attempt at explaining it in simple terms !

Forget about betting, odds etc. And don't worry about scoring as i will be calculating it all.

Just look at the points teams will get for where they get to in the competition:

Winner = 100 points
    Runner up = 75 points
    Beaten Semi finalist = 50 points
    Beaten ¼ finalist = 25 points
    Beaten in 2nd round = 10 points
    Group exit = 0 points

Now look at the teams and the spread against them. The range of points shown shows roughly where teams are expected to get to. Your job is to look where sides are roughly expected to get to, and pick out four teams that you think will either score more points than what is indicated, or less points than what is indicated.

ie. England are 33 - 35, which means they are expected to get somewhere between 1/4 finals and semi finals. Losing a quarter final is 25 points, losing a semi final is 50 points. So if you think England are going to get to the semi final or final, then buy them at 35 points. If you think England will go out at the quarter finals or before, then sell them at 33. If you think there is a very good chance of one of these things happening, then use your imaginary £200 bet. If you think its a bit risky, then use just your £50 bet.

Using four teams as an example of how to go about it. If i thought Argentina and Spain weren't going to get as far as their points indicate, and i think France and USA will do better than what is indicated, then i would do my 'bets' in the order i think is most likely to happen. ie:

£200 SELL Argentina @ 30
    £150 BUY USA @ 12
    £100 BUY France @ 25
    £50 SELL Spain @ 41

Goals in competition - 84

Hope that helps
  • 21 teams in so far

theenorth, red god, robbo on the wing and brunello i need your goals guess

ta
  • Sponsored links:

• Do the losing bets get deducted from the winning bets?
    i.e if 3 of my bets are correct and I total say £2400 profit from those bets but I sell England and they win it, do I then have 77*£100 = £7700 deducted from my 'winnings' of £2400 leaving me with a loss or score of minus £5300
    Or does the England result count as a NIL points win ?
  • No, if you get it the wrong way round then you register a minus score.
  • 36 entries received so far from the following:

1 - stonemuse
    2 - JT
    3 - CHG
    4 - Henry Irving
    5 - Kigelia
    6 - Swisdom
    7 - Paddy Powell
    8 - oohaah
    9 - theenorth
    10 - No 1 in South London
    11 - Robbo on the wing
    12 - Threadkiller
    13 - Johnnybev
    14 - Len Glover
    15 - Charltonparklane
    16 - ValleyGary
    17 - Red God
    18 - Brunello
    19 - Boom
    20 - Red ArmySE7
    21 - Mr One Lung
    22 - Carl Leaburn
    23 - shirty5
    24 - oldbloke
    25 - Scoham
    26 - colthe3rd
    27 - The Red Robin
    28 - Nicholas
    29 - Swerve
    30 - vancouver addick
    31 - cedric winkleburger
    32 - eastbourne addick
    33 - Terry Naylor
    34 - Gray9
    35 - MOG
    36 - AFKA

If i have missed your entry, give me a shout
  • * Clueless *
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]* Clueless *

Are you a woman?
  • Yes... thought you knew that or are you simply cluess too?

sorry afka dont want to go off topic.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]36 entries received so far from the following:

36 - AFKA

If i have missed your entry, give me a shout

So you study the form - see what everyone else thinks and then BLAM! AFKA runs away with the shirt.....

I call a stewards enquiry
  • am i in smudge
  • I think I understand. But just to clarify one point. Can all 4 of my bets be 'buys'? Or all 'sells'?
  • They can be any combination you want Red.

Yes NLA, your're in.