Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Israel Israel Israel

edited June 2010 in Not Sports Related
... Anyone ever been?

;)

Comments

• man the lifeboats..
  • I'd quite like to go, but I'd resent giving my money to a state that attempts to justify the systematic oppression of an entire race of people.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I'd quite like to go, but I'd resent giving my money to a state that attempts to justify the systematic oppression of an entire race of people.

Chunes FFS lad....it works BOTH ways I can assure you...there's no right or wrong here...if you were living in Israel surrounded by hostility you'd no doubt feel very different...mind you they don't help their own cause much of the time either as we all know.... there are two sides to every story Chunes, that go back not decades or centuries even but thousands of years.
    True, the Israelis have the upper hand at present but it's not always been the case and would turn around in the blink of an eye and the boot put firmly on the other foot were any one of 5 or 6 arab nations to have their way.
    I have sympathy all round for ALL concerned....that's religion for ya!!
  • An Israeli immigration stamp in my passport would stop me going to some countries that I visit. Then again, I have no great desire to go there.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I'd quite like to go, but I'd resent giving my money to a state that attempts to justify the systematic oppression of an entire race of people.

Chunes FFS lad....it works BOTH ways I can assure you...there's no right or wrong here...if you were living in Israel surrounded by hostility you'd no doubt feel very different...mind you they don't help their own cause much of the time either as we all know.... there are two sides to every story Chunes, that go back not decades or centuries even but thousands of years.
    True, the Israelis have the upper hand at present but it's not always been the case and would turn around in the blink of an eye and the boot put firmly on the other foot were any one of 5 or 6 arab nations to have their way.
    I have sympathy all round for ALL concerned....that's religion for ya!!

I know the history and I know both sides of the story. And I understand the reasons why this will probably never be solved. But at the end of the day it isn't the Palestinians who are ghettoising the Israeli's. And the Israeli's may say "well they're trying to kill us", but if you oppress a group of people, or expel 700,000 from their homeland, what do you expect?
  • And what do you expect from this thread Chunes? Just looking at the title just irritates the f*** out of me and know you've done it for a reaction.
  • I thought it was a thread about Rastafarians....
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]An Israeli immigration stamp in my passport would stop me going to some countries that I visit. Then again, I have no great desire to go there.

Yeah, I've heard Syria is a great place to go on holidays if you like that kind of thing. You're probably talking about Gulf States, which are nice too.

Within 2 comments, the person who STARTED the thread has turned into a political debate. Nice stuff.
  • no never been right answered that next country anyone been to Peru ?
  • Tel Aviv is supposed to have fantastic nightlife
  • Sponsored links:

• I repeat - man the life boats (and prepare to repel boarders)
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Tel Aviv is supposed to have fantastic nightlife

Yep, most of the worlds top DJ's go mad for it. John Digweed is huge in Israel.
  • No, never been to Peru.

Gabon, anyone?
  • I went there about 15 years ago.

It was a bit of a pilgrimage for me as my Dad served there at the end of WW2. He had loads of black and white photos of his time there and I grew up with pictures of the bombing of the King David Hotel and armoured cars running around Jerusalem. When I took the train from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem on the single track railway that he helped to build, it meant a huge amount to me.

I have been lucky enough to visit many parts of the world, usually on business, and would encourage anyone to do the same given the opportunity and sufficient funds. You won't always like what you see, but that's part of the reason for seeing it.

Israel is a remarkable place, mainly because things are so different there compared to what we are used to. Go there ... enjoy it ... bring back a piece of the original cross from Jerusalem and wail at the wall.

And, if you travel on that single track railway ... think of my Dad.
  • I thought it was going to be about the Siouxsie and the Banshees song.
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]No, never been to Peru.

Gabon, anyone?

No not Gabon. Have you ever been inside Chad?
  • [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]I thought it was going to be about the Siouxsie and the Banshees song.

me too
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]No, never been to Peru.

Gabon, anyone?

Not without the assistance of KY
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]No, never been to Peru.

Gabon, anyone?

Not without the assistance of KY

Last time i tried to enter Chad, i was met with violent resitance. A Couple bottles of wine did the trick.
  • Mate of mine went to Israel and ended up shagging some bird in front of her bloke - at his request.

(You know who you are)

Aside from that you would have to pay me lots of money to go.

"Holy Land"? Yeah, right.
  • Sponsored links:

• If it's good enough for Desmond Dekka, it's good enough for me...
  • so good they named it three times
  • I've been to Peru.
    I've never been to Israel, Chad & never been to me.......
  • War in a Babylon...

With my fair and balanced perspective, I can honestly say that I don't know which side is the bigger bunch of twats.

Can we talk about something else?
  • Been to Peru, oddly enough one of the few countries that you get a lot of Israelis (backpackers) in, the countries do/did a lot of business together. There is a street in Cuzco where all the shops have signs in Hebrew (well there was 10 years ago).
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Mate of mine went to Israel and ended up shagging some bird in front of her bloke - at his request.

(You know who you are)

hahaha.......i know that story too.

Been there twice, awesome place to go just ruined by a minority of extremists.
    Spent 9 months there about 15 years ago, hooked up with a local who was doing her national service which was compulsory. They got the choice to serve in Gaza/West Bank or spend a longer time based on a kibbutz (where i was, on the sea of galilee). Anyhow she was always complaining that being female they only got the less powerful guns.........then brings out an Uzi!!! Our bomb shelter also doubled up as a nightclub which was a touch.

Tel Aviv is a great city, good beaches and better nightlife , though was a bit of an eye opener in the nightclubs when next to the coat rack is a gun rack for those on national service.
    Most people there dont want the fighting to continue, often see israeli arabs and regular jews living side by side, its mainly the orthodox lot creating the issues.

Oh, and if anyone gets a chance to go to Jerusalem, do it, its well worth a look.

Im now in Qatar (on a different passport) and they absolutely detest the jews, surprise surprise. Theres plenty of palestinians, lebanese and jordanians here and they are all decent, all just hate the jews.
  • Ive got a copy of the Jerusalem Post at home with a write up on Charlton going back to the Valley, i think about a week before our first game back. Always wondered if the club would be interested in having it?
  • [cite]Posted By: QatarNapsy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Mate of mine went to Israel and ended up shagging some bird in front of her bloke - at his request.

(You know who you are)

hahaha.......i know that story too.

Been there twice, awesome place to go just ruined by a minority of extremists.
    Spent 9 months there about 15 years ago, hooked up with a local who was doing her national service which was compulsory. They got the choice to serve in Gaza/West Bank or spend a longer time based on a kibbutz (where i was, on the sea of galilee). Anyhow she was always complaining that being female they only got the less powerful guns.........then brings out an Uzi!!! Our bomb shelter also doubled up as a nightclub which was a touch.

Tel Aviv is a great city, good beaches and better nightlife , though was a bit of an eye opener in the nightclubs when next to the coat rack is a gun rack for those on national service.
    Most people there dont want the fighting to continue, often see israeli arabs and regular jews living side by side, its mainly the orthodox lot creating the issues.

Oh, and if anyone gets a chance to go to Jerusalem, do it, its well worth a look.

Im now in Qatar (on a different passport) and they absolutely detest the jews, surprise surprise. Theres plenty of palestinians, lebanese and jordanians here and they are all decent, all just hate the jews.

How does Qatar compare otherwise?
  • Not much here to be honest, sand and rocks is the landscape with a few camels. Plenty of shopping malls springing up now though.
    Qatar is like i expect Dubai was 20 years ago.
    Israel was hot and dusty too but green and interesting landscape, rivers, lakes etc
    The only greenery i have is the astroturf out the back of our villa.
  • night life is tops in Doha mate.