Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adverts

edited May 2010 in Not Sports Related
Bit random this but I cant honestly remember one product I have purchased as a result of a tv advert.

Comments

• That's the idea!
  • of course not
  • [cite]Posted By: east terrace peanuts[/cite]That's the idea!
    !
  • Most adverts work on the basis of affecting our thinking subliminally so that all of us are not always aware of the impact the ad is having.
  • edited May 2010
    but i still havnt purchased anything as a result of an advert so it hasnt worked on me.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]but i still havnt purchased anything as a result of an advert so it hasnt worked on me.[/quote]

How do you know?
  • I bought a meal for a tenner from M&S after seeing an ad.
  • Basically two kinds of ads, one says very clearly go out and buy this, half price, bogof, etc; the other one plays tricks on us to the point that we are not always sure what the ad is about...........both work!
  • I'm always drinking beer and there are loads of beer adverts on telly.
  • If adverts did not work they would not happen...they're even designed to get us to feel distain. My approach to ads is to argue with them, to say this is appealing to my vanity or greed or whatever, to shout at the TV, to generally fight back, to take a contrary position...they hope you half pay attention, they wash over you, thats the point.
    The idea that ads give information is also stupid.....how about those pseudo scientific ones, with charts, and graphs, and folk in reassuring white coats....absolute tosh beezollocks.
    Fight back.
  • Sponsored links:

• so your saying they lay a tiny seed in your mind which will come to the fore when you go to bluewater
  • Woolwich emblazened across Charlton's shirt did me when I was a kid as I opened an account with them on that basis.
  • edited May 2010
    I was in Currys the other day looking at this massive telly and part of the blurb said 'This screen is made from arsenic free glass'...

I thought what the fcuk...!!!!

Some smartly dressed kid come snaking up to me asking if I was interested in buying it...

I asked him if he was sure this screen had absolutely no arsenic in it and he was smarmingly confident it didn't...

I ask if they had any tellies with an arsenic screen and he said he didn't think so I asked him to go and check...

He came back with a no so I told him I was only interested in one with an arsenic screen and would they be getting any in...

He went back to the checkout and the whole lot of them all stopped what they were doing and all looked over to where I was standing...

He came back and confidently reassured me that it was unlikely they'd be getting any in soon....

I then spotted a telly that didn't say it had an arsenic free screen and asked if it had arsenic in it, if so, how much...

He was absolutely lost for words...

So I just walked off and left him there...
  • I have this awful visual of seth plum sitting in his underpants in a lonely bedsit shouting at a TV
    I bet I dont sleep tonight
  • Interesting one this. I have certainly bought new products that I have seen advertised, otherwise I would not have known about them - but that's my choice, I have not changed to another brand of tea, just because I like the advert with the monkey in. So to showcase a new product - of course, but otherwise...

How about this though - "Advertising works" - well, does it? Who tells us this? The advertising industry does.

Other than in the case of a new product, is it just a case of the emperors new clothes? Are they just keeping themselves in a job? And what about what I call vanity advertising - like the ones for the Hansen Trust a few years back - or recently when a programme on Channel 4 was sponsored by HMRC - as if we have a choice which organisation we pay our tax to...
  • edited June 2010
    "so your saying they lay a tiny seed in your mind which will come to the fore when you go to bluewater."... choice

So if you go to a designer retail park like Bluewater choice, what are you going for, in the mecca of over priced highly advertised designer goods, flogged to death and over priced why would you go there!

My sons are the same , designer label this designer label that, as I designer I never thought people were so influenced by my profession. Brand names are generally over rated and over priced accordingly, that is of course with the exception of the brands that I buy....
    of course.... Ha ha ha!.
  • what makes me laugh is when the adverts say ' 67% of people say they prefer ABC to XYZ' then you see on screen 'based on a sample of 87 people.
  • I do like the Guinness adverts, however I never brought a pint of Guinness because of them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Interesting one this. I have certainly bought new products that I have seen advertised, otherwise I would not have known about them - but that's my choice, I have not changed to another brand of tea, just because I like the advert with the monkey in. So to showcase a new product - of course, but otherwise...

How about this though - "Advertising works" - well, does it? Who tells us this? The advertising industry does.

No, figures and company profits do. I think you're overestimating advertising agencies if you think their entire existence is pulling the wool over the eyes of profit hungry corporations without helping to deliver profits.

Then again, I would agree there's some element of 'emperor's new clothes', but about the product rather than advertising itself. Take Coca-cola, which in blind taste tests tends to do worst than it's competitors. Yet people subconsciously prefer it for its branding and sense of nostalgia and history. Being emblazoned with that logo changes our perception of the liquid inside.
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]"so your saying they lay a tiny seed in your mind which will come to the fore when you go to bluewater."... choice

So if you go to a designer retail park like Bluewater choice, what are you going for, in the mecca of over priced highly advertised designer goods, flogged to death and over priced why would you go there!

My sons are the same , designer label this designer label that, as I designer I never thought people were so influenced by my profession. Brand names are generally over rated and over priced accordingly, that is of course with the exception of the brands that I buy....
    of course.... Ha ha ha!.

why do you think i named my DJ business Choice Entertainment and video sideshow Choice Tv lol, only because of Choice at Bluewater but these days i have downgraded to Baron Jon
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]"so your saying they lay a tiny seed in your mind which will come to the fore when you go to bluewater."... choice

of course.... Ha ha ha!.

why do you think i named my DJ business Choice Entertainment and video sideshow Choice Tv lol, only because of Choice at Bluewater but these days i have downgraded to Baron Jon
    Yeah, but that's your choice...