Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC1 going HD!

Well, at long last from the autumn (whenever that is) BBC1 will be broadcasting full-time in high definition on Freesat, Freeview, $ky and Virgin Media. MOTD will it seems be broadcast in HD but there is no word about the Football League Show or other stuff like F1. Presumably the latter will just be upscaled standard definition as Bernie Ecclestone's organisation has so far refused to provide HD feeds for the races.
Anyway some good news and the BBC HD channel is staying too with extended broadcasting hours. It will broadcast shows from the other BBC channels.

See the details at http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/05_may/28/hd.shtml

Comments

• Hopefully that comes after investing in BBC6
  • MOTD won't be HD until they move to Salford (2011 ?).
  • [cite]Posted By: Hex[/cite]MOTD won't be HD until they move to Salford (2011 ?).

Do you know why? Seems a bit odd as all the BBC's outside broadcast units have HD capacity or they will just take the coverage from $ky or other contractors in HD spec.
  • EastEnders, Holby City, The One Show, The Apprentice, The Weakest Link Strictly Come Dancing,and Waterloo Road.

That should be good then.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcfan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Hex[/cite]MOTD won't be HD until they move to Salford (2011 ?).

Do you know why? Seems a bit odd as all the BBC's outside broadcast units have HD capacity or they will just take the coverage from $ky or other contractors in HD spec.

I believe its to do with the editing/production suite - MOTD have their own so that they can edit all the matches in time for the programme. MOTD is moving to the new BBC centre at Salford so it wouldn't make sense to upgrade the kit now and throw it away in a year or so's time.
  • Also, are all the Premier League broadcast feeds in HD anyway?
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Also, are all the Premier League broadcast feeds in HD anyway?

Yes but the BBC have a policy of not upscaling SD pictures into HD ones. I thought it was the fact that that studio in Television Centre doesn't have HD cameras/lights etc, and as they are shutting that in a year there is no point in upgrading/putting other cameras in there.
  • Was wondering as Sky don't broadcast Football First in HD on a Saturday night
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Was wondering as Sky don't broadcast Football First in HD on a Saturday night

well I know when I stream games at 3 on a Saturday from America it says it's from Fox Soccer Channel HD.
    Though might only be upscaled
  • edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Was wondering as Sky don't broadcast Football First in HD on a Saturday night

Is it native HD though or upscaled SD?

Eurosport HD is usually in native HD and that always looks a bit crisper and clearer on my TV than a lot of the Sky Stuff. Might just be in full 1080p instead of 720 or 1080i which I beleieve a lot of the HD broadcasts are in.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2010
    I'm just looking at a new TV, best deal I've found is £869 with 5 year warranty for this baby

Panasonic-TX-P42G20B

full HD 1080p, usb so you can add storage for recording, internet, etc looks the ticket.

according to their press its the only tv that currently does freesat HD and freeview HD tuner too
  • That's a pretty good price Razil. RGBDirect.co.uk (where I got my panny a year ago) has it at £854 but I think you have to shop instore to get the 5-year warranty. It's a Panasonic warranty - not one from the retailer - which is reassuring. RGB's shops are in Ilford & Loughton. V happy with my purchase and I think Panny are the only manufacturers doing both built-in freesat and freeview tuners in HD for the moment.
  • was it the 10 or the 20, thought they were 2010 stock, could be wrong tho
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]was it the 10 or the 20, thought they were 2010 stock, could be wrong tho

The G20 series according to their website.
  • edited June 2010
    cool, still latest tech plasma wise tho :) so have you got one? care to review?
  • If you're buying from Amazon you can use the CL link & earn Adam and Danny some cash to feed the hamsters (should be at least £40 on that!)
  • I would but their warranty is way ott price wise
  • Nah, mines a G10 37" LCD It's a year old and therefore just with a freeview tuner and a freesat HD tuner. The picture quality is good particularly on fast-moving sports and freesat works well for me. (It would be better if I had a decent broadband speed and could hook up to BBC i-player.) Still awaiting Panny's OTA software update for that but I assume it will be up and running on the new models - you might want to check though. I'm hoping it will be reliable and the 5-yr warranty is some reassurance. If I was being picky, I'd say the 7-day EPG is not as user friendly as, say, the Humax set-top box. There's no programme search function for example. Connectivity is good with 4 HDMI inputs, input for ethernet (for the iplayer service), a common interface module and input for a SD card but no USB port which is an oversight in my view. Or have they added that now?
    Anyway, I'd better not say which manufacturer, but it's much better than the model it replaced which had good picture quality but the whole LCD screen component (at a cost of £1100 - gasp! - to Philips - oops there I've said it) was replaced after only 10 months and it lasted only two years in total. According to various web forums it was alleged to have had rubbish components, particularly the capacitors. Hopefully the Panny will be better.

Apologies if you know this already but for freesat you'll need a satellite dish with a quad LNB if it's linked to a twin-tuner PVR.
    Cheers.
  • edited June 2010
    is iplayer available stand alone or is it through their web front end?

I have freesat hd already through a couple of humax boxes, am hoping to split out the downstairs connectors to connect both, assuming the tv takes two and will simul record?

edit: yes usb added, and you can use with an external hd to record. I 'm going to look at one hopefully this weekend, so will have more answers
  • Razil
    As I understand it a splitter is no good. You need a separate cable from the LNB at the dish for each tuner. So, if you've got the telly, and a twin tuner PVR, that will take three feeds from the dish: hence the need for a quad LNB. It is possible I'm wrong but you'll find more info with a search of the forums on www.digitalspy.co.uk
    As for iplayer, it's a red button sevice but obviously needs a link to your internet connection either via an ethernet cable to your wireless router or through those homeplug thingies that take the data through your electrical wiring. Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2010
    I could be very wrong but my understanding was so long as you split two cables to two more, rather than just one feed to two in each case, it should work as its about polarity. There must be some sky engineers on here, was some time back.

Ah yes so the iplayer works like the humax box, cool!
  • Just found out costco are doing some really good deals on tvs and macs, and other electricals - so if you are looking for a new telly for world cup check it out, you need to be registered and run a business I think - or know someone who does.