Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Season... Jesus...

Right, If this has been done then sink, but with Palace staying up, Millwall going up Leeds going up norwich going up, gillingham and southend down who exactly is gona get 20k plus at the valley? saints maybe just at a real push if big nose is still boss. Will we take 2k plus to leyton orient away this season? and Brentford? gut says not at all. If Dagengham go up they would be one of our closest 'rivals'. cant see us selling out for peterbrough or sheff weds. so who will bring 20k at least to the Valley next season?
Getting this out of the way, could it possibly lead us to have a really good season as we wont have the distraction of millwall et al, so we can just get on with winning games mainly outside of the m25, there wont be the weight around our shoulders of a millwall palace gillingham game, instead rochadale bournemouth notts county.
I will be at brentford and leyton orient but for the first season in my memory of being an addick is this the first season we have not had a team within our local area in our league?
As said earlier this could really help us get on with things but in the case of attendences and atmosphere at home its gona be a real struggle i feel.

Comments

• Crikey - I thought we were signing a Mexican there for a minute...
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Crikey - I thought we were signing a Mexican there for a minute...

It's a top notch Keeper to replace Randy with. Jesus saves after all...
  • Adam the 20k is not just about who is coming to the Valley but what is goingto happen to the home support, I can see quite a dropin home game attendance. We only got 20,000 plus against Leeds and Norwich because absentee st holders were counted. Fans now know they can turn up and get a seat and that by not having an ST they willbe able to pick and choose matches they want to go to.

I'm not sure our average attendance next season will even hit 15,000. Rememeber, however we feel, last season we were 2nd / 3rd for most of the season, this season the current feeling is that at best we will be hovering around the bottom end of the playoff places.
  • The atmosphere on most of the saturday games last season wasnt too bad but the evening games were desperate. I remember getting to my seat for the Hartlepool thinking it must be an 8 o'clock kick off. It wasnt, just no bugger had bothered turning up.
  • i had a bussed in fan who sat next to me in the premier league who looked out for the arsenal results as they were hes first team.......glad they have gone,never again quality over quantity.
  • [cite]Posted By: tennis60[/cite]The atmosphere on most of the saturday games last season wasnt too bad but the evening games were desperate. I remember getting to my seat for the Hartlepool thinking it must be an 8 o'clock kick off. It wasnt, just no bugger had bothered turning up.

I remember that Hartlepool feeling now that you remind me!
  • Never understood why attendances drop whatever league you are in. Ill always go if I have the time and money and cant understand why people only go when the team is doing well. Do we really need support who pick and choose their attendance based on performance (not including those who have been going for years and have just despaired!) as surely you would just go to Arsenal or Spurs.
  • The fine art of making season tickets value for money, and having a strong fan base, and then being able to offer good value tickets to the 'casual fan' is indeed a fine art. I hadto buy several tickets at £25 a pop last season for guests, friends, and without the shop at Bexleyheath there are booking fees as well! so £26 to watch third tier football. I suggested that tickets priced at this level should have a free under 16 ticket, to fill the ground and sell things like drink, programmes, burgers etc. The target 10,000 scheme was a prime reason why I managed to get the wife and three kids down there, and later became an ST holder. Okay it is a number of years ago, but having a half full stadium, not only affects revenue, with all the importance that has, but the atmosphere is poor as well, how encouraging the Leeds game was, and what a great part the crowd played!.

You have to make it cost effective to get people to be season ticket holders, but let's not dismiss the casual fan, Us diehards are a captive audience to an extent, we need new fan's, without them we go backwards.

What about a 15 per cent discount for old fan's from the past 10 years on a season ticket!. ( only a suggestion) I am sure the club knows how to market the club, but a half empty ground is not a good basis for a successful business!
  • With the deals they've already given to the fans Ken, I don't think they've got much leeway to do any other deals this season.

They cannot start charging less than the price paid by the 6000-odd who renewed early.
  • Southampton and Sheff Weds will fill the Jimmy Seed if they're doing well but I can't see much else, possibly Plymouth if they are at the top.

Gonna have to do something to fill the home areas, heres a novel idea.......how about being top of the league?
  • Sponsored links:

• Brighton brought quite a few aswell last season.
  • i agree with all that ken but at the end of the day the only way for bums on seats is the football on the pitch. thats by developing the youth plus players that want to play for us and not has been loan players.
  • What about the point of not having some really tasty local games, I know millwall did the double over us and struggles at times against the gills but the atmosphere was electric and we all lookded forward to them. Looking at it in more detail I think it could be a real bonus for the team and we can just travel about winning games here and there without the burden of fan pressure and expectation. I do think the attendances will take a massive hit midweek wet cold home to rochdale... so as fans we will miss out on a good ding dong derby but could it benift the team?
  • So what is the sense of a half empty stadium!, no revenue, no chance to sell mechandise, programmes and all the other things that you have as fixed costs, more people means a larger revenue stream.
    I mentioned the idea of past season ticket holders getting a deal of 15 per cent off the new price, and the idea of kids free tickets, what about a monthly season ticket at a reduced rate from match day tickets , or a free JPT ticket.
    My view is that if you get people going on a regular basis, they get the habit and on the cold mid week games come to Valley instead of watching tv and the likes. At present the highlight seems playing Dagenham!

Agree with the points above especially the youth point, hopefully the players that want to play elsewhere, can do just that!..... although one or two a seem a little to cozy if truth be known!
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]I know millwall did the double over us and struggles at times against the gills but the atmosphere was electric and we all lookded forward to them.

No they didn't - it just felt that way.
  • the valley has not been electric for years now,very quiet ground
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]the valley has not been electric for years now,very quiet ground

Didn't like the Leeds or Swindon atmospheres then nolly?
  • Its important to remember that we aren't a premierleague club. We got to the premierleague with a hard working and devoted team. It'll take a while to get an 11 who perform week in week out and actually care about our club again.

With regards to fans, its getting to the stage where what you see on a saturday is what you get, Charlton through and through. Prefer quality over quantity anyday. Just a shame that it'll be US on the receiving end of the "your ground is too big for you" chants...
  • i think off it mate that its more the acoustics than people not singing,and the fact one half of a stand that sings,needs to be addressed maybe not sell tickets in the end blocks of the east and compact it more while were here in this league.
  • Still a great atmosphere at both those games though.
  • Sponsored links:

• im with you sort of,but the sound does not travel in that ground and comes across on tv quiet,im sick of my girlfriend saying so,very tinny,need to compact our fans into the stands more and encourage singers to sit in all parts of the ground.
  • Saw a portly chap in a undersized batman tshirt reading a beano in bromley today was it you?
  • Good luck with that.
  • thanks i will make it my crusade.
  • And when you've cracked that one you can sort out that fundraising event in the park - piece of cake.
  • [cite]Posted By: sidcupterry[/cite]i agree with all that ken but at the end of the day the only way for bums on seats is the football on the pitch. thats by developing the youth plus players that want to play for us and not has been loan players.

Its no good developing the youth if when one comes through the manger wont play him. I will bet you'll see many more 30 somethings next season rather than youth because its what Mr Parkinson is comfortable with
  • [cite]Posted By: sidcupterry[/cite]i agree with all that ken but at the end of the day the only way for bums on seats is the football on the pitch. thats by developing the youth plus players that want to play for us and not has been loan players.
    What "has been" loan players? Out of all the players we've had on loan this season, most of them are in their early/mid 20s.

The way you get more people coming to games is by winning. If we're successful, I doubt fans will care too much if we do that with a team of experienced players, or our own youth players.

The fact is if the youth players were ready to play every week, we wouldn't have taken so many players on loan. The likes of Mooney and Akpo Sodje aren't great, but at the moment they are better players than our own young strikers such as Tuna and Perkins.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]The fact is if the youth players were ready to play every week, we wouldn't have taken so many players on loan. The likes of Mooney and Akpo Sodje aren't great, but at the moment they are better players than our own young strikers such as Tuna and Perkins.

Not sure that we couldn't have tried our youth a bit more. We don't know how they would have done because we didn't give them a chance. Uncle makes a valid point.
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Its no good developing the youth if when one comes through the manger wont play him. I will bet you'll see many more 30 somethings next season rather than youth because its what Mr Parkinson is comfortable with
  • But we all saw the damage Pardew did to Waggy by chucking him in to early, and when expectations are high. Look at Jonjo, he originally came into the team in a series of end of season games which had little importance to the club. If we thrown Tuna/Perkins whoever into the team this season in highly competitive, important games there is a high likelihood it would have affected them.

Jonjo is a special talent, which is why he's now in a shellsuit nicking hubcaps, instead of playing crap football in half empty stadiums. Uncle's criticisms over Parky not playing him are valid, but we saw that even with Jonjo at Orient, the occasion got to him slightly by him being so 'up for it' and almost getting sent off in the first minute. That game was not particularly important to the club but was to him, I imagine because he had the family watching him in his neck of the woods. If a player of that ability is affected by the occasion then, how would a lesser player react in occasions that are vital for the club? Just because Jonjo was mistreated by Parky doesn't mean that Parky is wrong in not playing other young players.

As for how to improve the matchday experience? Shut the east, get everyone into the west and north and get an atmosphere going by packing the seats we do sell together. There would be some moaners who have already bought STs there but as they are early commiters I'm presuming they want to help the club, so as long as the reasons why are communicated I imagine the majority will understand.

We'll never sell out this season other than possibly for a cup game (if we get that far) and the acoustics of the north are generally regarded as sheet. The club has backed itself into a corner with regards to pricing through selling the season tickets, so the only thing I can see them doing is a "Buy 2 games, get 1 free" kind of offer. I would be interested to know if that kind of thing has been discussed within the club, and if so why it hasn't been implemented.
  • Nolly i love you.