Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If Palace were liquidated who would take their place?

Palace on the brink

Would it be us as the team that finished 4th in the league or Swindon as runners up in the play offs?

Comments

• Penalty shoot out against hudders
  • I saw Guilfoyle interviewed on tv earlier and although he appeared a little exasperated he did say that nobody was at loggerheads but just trying to secure the best deal they could. I suspect that a lot of brinkmanship is going on but ultimately a deal will be struck. Can't help feeling sorry for all those staff losing their jobs though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Penalty shoot out against hudders

LOL - but only if we can change one of our penalty takers.
  • Well, it's not quite the same scenario, but when Swindon were demoted for financial irregularities, after beating Sunderland in the 89/90 play-offs. Sunderland went up in their place, & they finished 6th that year. If it had gone to the next placed team, it would have been Newcastle promoted.

If Palace do collapse, then I think they would give it to Swindon, if promoting another team is the chosen route to correct the amount of teams in the 2nd tier. The league might also choose to keep Sheffield Wednesday in the the 2nd tier, with only 2 clubs relegated, do similar in the 3rd tier(Gillingham staying up) & 4th tier(Grimsby staying up), & bring up a conference side for overall parity.
  • If they collapse before the fixtures are announced, Sheffield Wednesday take their place.

If they collapse after the fixtures are announced, no one takes their place.
  • stupid thread and quite sad i dont want to see any club go out of business.
  • I think Sheff Weds would simply retain their place.

I personally don't think it will happen as eventually a deal will be reached. Someone always blinks when a deal needs to be done.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]stupid thread and quite sad i dont want to see any club go out of business.

I don't want them to go out of business - I'd miss the rivalry. It's a question about what what would happen if their consortium can't reach a deal.
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]If they collapse before the fixtures are announced, Sheffield Wednesday take their place.

Sauce...?
  • [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]Palace on the brink

According to the Times article QPR are palace's "North London rivals". Were they p1ssed when they looked at Google earth?
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite][url=[url]http://www.thelondondailynews.com/crystal-palace-brink-going-business-jordan-could-seal-fate-p-4169.html[/url]]Palace on the brink[/url]

[/quote]

According to the Times article QPR are palace's "North London rivals". Were they p1ssed when they looked at Google earth?[/quote]

Sounds like the people who refer to Charlton-Millwall as an "east end knees-up". Eh?
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]If they collapse before the fixtures are announced, Sheffield Wednesday take their place.

Sauce...?

No sauce and I aint gonna look it up now, but asked a Palace fan and that's what he said.

It's the least controversial way to do it. Why should Swindon get it ahead of Huddersfield? And why should we get it ahead of Swindon?
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]If they collapse before the fixtures are announced, Sheffield Wednesday take their place.

Sauce...?

No sauce and I aint gonna look it up now, but asked a Palace fan and that's what he said.

It's the least controversial way to do it. Why should Swindon get it ahead of Huddersfield? And why should we get it ahead of Swindon?

Would it ripple all the way down through the pyramid to make sure that each league had the right number of teams at the start of the season?

With football finances in trouble you can see how shaky league competitions are if teams fold. It happens in amateur leagues and wreaks havoc with the people running the league competitions. I presume that the Football League will have a contingency plan for all of this.
  • [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]

Sauce...?

Would it ripple all the way down through the pyramid to make sure that each league had the right number of teams at the start of the season?

With football finances in trouble you can see how shaky league competitions are if teams fold. It happens in amateur leagues and wreaks havoc with the people running the league competitions. I presume that the Football League will have a contingency plan for all of this.

I have no idea, but probably, yes. Gillingham and Grimsby saved, etc. But only if it happens before the 7th of July or whenever the fixtures are announced. Lots of time to sort out teams after that.
  • edited May 2010
    I wouldn't mind seeing Palace in L2 one day, but not out of business. Not really. Sheffield Weds would just stay up, so would Gillingham in L1, and Grimsby in L2.
  • OK. I have a link. I was wrong. Unless they fold before the end of the playoff match today, the answer is the Championship would carry on with 23 teams.
    [cite]Posted By: Football League Rules[/cite]12.2 Cessation of membership. If any Club ceases to be a member of The League for any reason (including, without limitation, pursuant to Article 4 of the Articles of Association or by way of relegation or expulsion for disciplinary reasons):-

12.2.1 during any Normal Playing Season, its playing record shall be expunged and the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members;

12.2.2 during the period between the end of the Normal Playing Season and the conclusion of the last Play Off Match for that Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members; or

12.2.3 during the period between the conclusion of the last Play Off Match and the start of the following Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the Division in which a Club would have played but for its cessation of membership, shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members and, during that Season, the relevant Division shall operate with a reduced number of Clubs.

Football League Rules
  • I couldn't see that happening with one less club in the CCC .

I suspect the cleanest way would be to allow Wednesday and Gillingham repreives.I think though the Eagles may have a double relegation and go to League 2 if they are liquidated and had to reform.

I too hope Palace are ok , once one club goes to the wall I fear there might be a Domino affect throughout football , as others have observed but for the grace of God.
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I couldn't see that happening with one less club in the CCC .

I suspect the cleanest way would be to allow Wednesday and Gillingham repreives.I think though the Eagles may have a double relegation and go to League 2 if they are liquidated and had to reform.

I too hope Palace are ok , once one club goes to the wall I fear there might be a Domino affect throughout football , as others have observed but for the grace of God.

You can't see the Football League following their rules? Rules that have covered all eventualities?

As far as I know, there's no way that they can be relegated twice. That's a Conference rule. They could start next season with a 17 point deduction or they could be liquidated or they could be OK. No double relegation
  • I agree that is what the rule says , but feel something might happen.There would be massive political pressure.

Wednesday, the Gills and possibly Grimsby would hardly complain. I've not read the rules but I thought the double relegation was discussed last year regarding Southampton , because their administration was declared after relegation so a AFC Southampton could have reformed in the Conference.From our point of view replacing Wednesday with the Gills would be welcomed.

If they are liquidated an AFC Crystal Palace starting in League 2 would feel fair to me.Then they could rebuild and probably get promoted in the first season with new owners , but more importantly the club would have survived by the skin of their teeth.

It would not serve any clubs interests to go one short. Everyone loses the revenue from a home fixture, season ticket prices would need readjusting

Because of the play off system it seems messy to allow someone up, you could argue Millwall should have been automatic so the 7th placed team could have been there which would have changed the dynamics.
  • You have a feeling? Oh, well then...

Wednesday fans are joking about taking legal action if Palace go bust and they're not reinstated. Joking. They don't want to do what Sheffield United did, and believe they don't deserve anything better than relegation after the season they've had. They don't actually want to be reinstated and the fans won't be protesting. I got the link from Owlstalk and this is what most of them on there are saying.

A rule that doesn't exist in the football league won't be applied to Palace. Southampton weren't relegated by the time they went into administration. Leeds were effectively relegated when they entered administration and they let the company fold and set up a new company, but they weren't dropped two divisions.

They're the rules that are there. Once the playoff match finishes today we'll be into the new season, and the teams in each division will be set. If one of them folds, it'll be like them folding in December.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2010
    Why not have a sing off at Wembley between us, Hudders and Swindon? We may not win but at least we'd have a few new songs for next season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]Why not have a sing off at Wembley between us, Hudders and Swindon? We may not win but at least we'd have a few new songs for next season.
    Music, maestro, please....
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]If they are liquidated an AFC Crystal Palace starting in League 2 would feel fair to me.Then they could rebuild and probably get promoted in the first season with new owners , but more importantly the club would have survived by the skin of their teeth.

How would any 'new' club start in L2? Surely they'd start right at the bottom, as per AFC Wimbledon??
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]If they are liquidated an AFC Crystal Palace starting in League 2 would feel fair to me.Then they could rebuild and probably get promoted in the first season with new owners , but more importantly the club would have survived by the skin of their teeth.

How would any 'new' club start in L2? Surely they'd start right at the bottom, as per AFC Wimbledon??

MK Dons managed it.

I guess that was regarded as a takeover and relocation of the OLD club though thinking about it...
  • edited May 2010
    north london rivals QPR (titter)!

A 30 point deduction for Palace.
  • If Palace were liquidated they'ed be orange juice.