Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Off to the Apple Store in Regents Street...

Just want to feel and play around with an ipad. Not going to buy one. Honest. Probably none left to buy now anyway. But what if there is? No. Missus doesn't trust me. I assured her I am just going to look. And touch. And play. Not going to buy one. No. Don't need it. Not going to buy one. But, if I were to buy one do I need the wi-fi + 3G version or just the wi-fi? No, that is a pointless question because I am not going to buy one.

Comments

• Your going to buy one aren't you :-).
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Your going to buy one aren't you :-).

How could you possibly think that?
  • I reckon there's one already on reserve...
  • if you do buy one, and survive, then tell us about it.

The Lass has told me I don't need one, she's quite right,but I want one, or will the Sony be better when it comes out?????
  • This is what they look like...
  • Most pointless buy ever.
  • the ipad to you, is like donuts to homer simpson. it's futile to try and resist, you know you will succumb.
  • the ipad to you, is like donuts to homer simpson. it's futile to try and resist, you know you will succumb.
  • you can say that again

the ipad is gping to be the next sinclair c5
  • Sponsored links:

• There was an article in the substandard yesterday about how tricky it was to read a book on an ipad on a packed tube. I gave up on society at that point. I'm thinking of going on Dragons Den with a pPad which allows you to read books in paper format. Or a itop which is basically an ipad with a screen and keyboard that allows you to do lots of things you can't do on the ipad. Or an iphone, which is a scaled down ipad with telephone functunality.
  • [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]the ipad is gping to be the next sinclair c5
    Sadly Sir Clive didn't have the marketing that Apple have that appears to be able to bend minds. I was baffled as to why anyone would listen to music (while broadcasting its tinny howl to the world at large) through ipod headphones and have continued to be baffled as they launch one overpriced product after another, but they sell and sell and sell. There's already a waiting list for the iBomination. i think they're seeing what the maddest thing is that they can sell.
  • phew! That was close. They still have a few thousand in stock but i could not get near one to play with it. Plus, everyone who bought one was still being clapped and high fived by about 20 annoyingly happy and enthusiastic people in blue t shirts. I will go up later next week when it should be quieter and they will definitely have sold out!
  • I want one but I don't know why :-)
  • Definitely want one ... but have persuaded myself to wait a couple of months and see what the new Dell Slate will be like.
  • Charlie Brooker appears to be going for the world record for the shortest time between buying an item of consumer electronics and smashing it in frustration at the moment.
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Charlie Brookerappears to be going for the world record for the shortest time between buying an item of consumer electronics and smashing it in frustration at the moment.

LOL he is not happy
  • Is it like the wii fit?
  • Emperors new clothes again.

FFS get a life you money wasting fools...

(Or at least waste your money over the bar in Floyd's...)
  • To answer your point about whether you need the 3G version.

You will need an account like a mobile phone with a long term contract. Could be expensive.

The wi fi version will work at home and you can get a low cost account with The Cloud which gives wi fi in many pubs and cafes, McDonalds and shopping centres (and across The City of London).

I won't buy one before Christmas as it will either get better or cheaper or both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pointless, it won't run websites that are designed to run with Flash. Wait for the Android Tabs running Fro-Yo (2.2) and Flash

Apple are Evil!! Google rule!!!

(But I still want an iMac)
  • Flash isn't everything

It's ancient technology and has serious security flaws
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Pointless, it won't run websites that are designed to run with Flash. Wait for the Android Tabs running Fro-Yo (2.2) and Flash

Apple are Evil!! Google rule!!!

(But I still want an iMac)

I'm a self-admitting Apple boy but atm I'm failing to see the point of this. Can't multi-task until the software update and is generally just a larger iPhone minus the phone part, which although cool, doesn't serve me much purpose other than looking cool.

tbf on the Flash thing, there are very few websites that I try to visit on my iPhone that won't work, and so it doesn't affect me much. And the amount of time it makes my Macbook or Internet Explorer crash, it's a blessing in disguise. The Apple hardware and useability is far superior to anything I've seen from Android, so it's a small price to pay
  • Never understood this fixation with apple products. Here's what I mean: take the ipod range; it's ubquitious but still seen as cool. Why? That's the exact opposite of the situation with cars. Cool cars are exclusive and european. NOT cheap pieces of crap made in in the far east!
    Now what's even worse with Apple is that there are products out there that are better, have more facilities and have better compatibility with other products/software. Oh, and they are cheaper too.
    I steer clear of everything wearing that fruit logo.
    See here for the numerous issues with the ipad (no USB port for heavens sake):
    http://www.livescience.com/technology/13-glaring-ipad-shortcomings-100404.html
    and www.anythingbutipod.com is fun too.
  • cafc fan - if you steer clear of anything with fruit logo, how do you know that the other products are better?

Cheaper is another thing - with PCs you often have to buy extras.

As someone who has used Macs and PCs for more than 20 years, I think you will find that Apple's build quality is excellent and that when things go wrong (rarely) they put it right.

For those PC users with an open mind I suggest you buy a Mac Mini and use your PC keyboard, mouse, screen etc. The operating system is simple and you can even load Windows on the Mac Mini.

The iPad is about electronic media - photos, music, videos and a lot more.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcfan[/cite]Never understood this fixation with apple products. Here's what I mean: take the ipod range; it's ubquitious but still seen as cool. Why? That's the exact opposite of the situation with cars. Cool cars are exclusive and european. NOT cheap pieces of crap made in in the far east!
    Now what's even worse with Apple is that there are products out there that are better, have more facilities and have better compatibility with other products/software. Oh, and they are cheaper too.
    I steer clear of everything wearing that fruit logo.
    See here for the numerous issues with the ipad (no USB port for heavens sake):
    http://www.livescience.com/technology/13-glaring-ipad-shortcomings-100404.html
    andwww.anythingbutipod.comis fun too.

Ipods I think are viewed as the easiest to use, and best looking mp3 players on the market. I certainly think so and after coming to iPod game quite late, after having Creative and Sony mp3 players before an iPod, I'm yet to experience anything that is comparable to the ease of use an iPod gives you (I'm talking iTouch and 60GB+ ones btw, the Shuffle is a different kettle of fish seeing as it has no screen). Also, I haven't seen a piece of freeware music management software as good and easy to use as iTunes, and that's not even including the Store, cos I'm a poor student so don't use it as all my spare money goes on Charlton or drink :p Personally I've never got on with WMP and although Spotify has improved with the new update, it still isn't as good with locally stored music.

It's the same with the iPhone, it's so much easier to use than any other smartphone I have tried. I am yet to experience a touchscreen so responsive and accurate on any phone, and although Android phones have promised much, in my opinion they are just pale imitations.

As for the whole Mac vs Windows debate, imo there's very little in it. I prefer my Macbook over my old Windows laptop though, again because it is so easy to use when doing certain tasks. Adding printers, installing programs (and in two years of having a Mac I've only needed one program that isn't on Mac, and have used numerous others that aren't on Windows) and the like is so much easier and quicker than on a PC.

Personally I'm not convinced with the iPad, the only job I've seen enhanced by it is Jake Humphrey on the BBC's F1 coverage, so I'm not getting one atm. I can see there is a market for it though, and when multi-tasking comes onto it I may change my opinion. Personally a netbook or full blown laptop is still a better option.

I'm not a massive techy but I do like and appreciate new technology, whatever the brand. For me, certain Apple products are much simpler and easier to use than anything else I've seen. There's obviously a premium on them, but tbf I have always been impressed by Apple's customer service, unlike Creative for example, who passed me from pillar to post when my Zen packed up 6 months after purchase, so I figure you get what you pay for. Each to their own, but to write off Apple's products as "cheap pieces of crap" is completely wrong imo
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Crusty54[/cite]For those PC users with an open mind I suggest you buy a Mac Mini and use your PC keyboard, mouse, screen etc. The operating system is simple and you can even load Windows on the Mac Mini.
    Love it - absolutely love it. So 'open mind', in this case, equates to paying 100 quid more for the exact same thing?

Apple is technology for the non-technical. If you can't learn to use a computer - then crApple is for you.
  • [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks Also, I haven't seen a piece of freeware music management software as good and easy to use as iTunes

Well, there's Mediamonkey, it's free and does what it says on the tin. BTW download.com has shed loads of freeware or shareware guaranteed virus free btw.

[cite]Posted By: allez les addicks Each to their own, but to write off Apple's products as "cheap pieces of crap" is completely wrong imo

Sorry, I wasn't just having a pop at Apple, I view almost all electronics as cheap and virtually disposable items. It's the idea of queuing up to be the first to pay over the odds to get hold of something that will be obselete in two years max that bemuses me.
  • edited May 2010
    [Apple is technology for the non-technical. If you can't learn to use a computer - then crApple is for you.[/quote]

what's wrong with being non-technical? I consider myself to be quite technical as a matter of fact but I didn't do a number of things on my PC that I now do on my Mac purely because Windows made them too convoluted and time exhausting.
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    It's the idea of queuing up to be the first to pay over the odds to get hold of something that will be obselete in two years max that bemuses me

that, I completely agree with......apart from Sony things in London. My mate got a Bravia 46in TV for free after queuing for the PS3 on launch night....and after me telling him not to bother and wait beforehand, has never let me forget the fact!