Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Music that has turned you on to other artists

Following on from Henry's Shipbuilding/Stanley Spencer thread...

Are their any songs / records / record sleeves that have inspired you to investigate other artists?

This line from Robert Forsters "Dear Black Dream":
"Wondering who sings better in the dark
is it Townes Van Zandt, or is it Guy Clark?"

turned me on to two great singers.

The sleeve of Primal Scream's "Crystal Crescent" single led me to investigate the films of Maya Deren.

Comments

• Oh, how long have we got.

Woody Guthrie et al via Dlyan.

The Band via Dylan. the best find ever

Even tried to read Verlaine and Rimbaud after Dylan mentions them in Gone make you lonesome when you go. Tried but failed.
  • The Who and the great English composer Purcell.
  • Was only interested in musicals when young...introduced to CHESS, then became obsessed with ABBA. Still like them but doesnt make me ill any more.
  • edited May 2010
    Westlife....I put ANY OTHER music on if i hear them.

Was into all the mod music like the Who, The Jam, Small Faces and Kinks etc when a teen after Ocean Colour Scene drew my attention that way and then found the Specials down that route.

Also found a load of vinyls in our loft once as a nipper which ranged from the Beatles and Stones to Cream and Pink Floyd, Dylan and Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff and Roy Orbison and Elvis which was a real treasure chest.

Then all the dance music and hip hop of late eighties early nighties which then evolved into garage, d&b and all the other stuff. Dont really like a lot of modern genres of music now but there's still some tunes/ songs that come along every so often that make me sit up and take notice.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: HarryAMuse[/cite]Following on from Henry's Shipbuilding/Stanley Spencer thread...

Are their any songs / records / record sleeves that have inspired you to investigate other artists?

This line from Robert Forsters "Dear Black Dream":
    [i]"Wondering who sings better in the dark
    is it Townes Van Zandt, or is it Guy Clark?"[/i]

robert forster is on at the jazz cafe in mid july

turned me on to two great singers.

The sleeve of Primal Scream's "Crystal Crescent" single led me to investigate the films of Maya Deren.[div id=Attachments_709763 class=Attachments][ul][div]Primal-Scream-Crystal-Crescent-143998.jpg[/div][/ul][/div][/quote]
  • I heard a track off of a John Prine cd called In spite of Ourselves whilst driving one day. It was an album of old country duet songs he did with some great women singers. I bought it and now have several hundred cds from following the people on that album.

Now most of my listening is country/americana because of that.

Best thing I ever did musically.
  • Geno by Dexys opened some doors.

On a similar note, I am so shallow I started drinking californian wine after hearing Sweet Virginia with the Stones singing 'thank you for your wine california'.
  • [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]
    robert forster is on at the jazz cafe in mid july

Thanks ads, hadn't heard about that! I'll book my ticket now.
  • Eminem made me watch the movie "Kids"!
  • The Fall.

A mate of mine played me a Fall song sometime around 1987. It pretty much changed my life. I started listening to John Peel and subsequently got into Sebadoh, Pavement, The Wedding present, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine.. and many, many more.
  • Sponsored links:

• "Faron Young" by Prefab Sprout did not make me want to find out about Faron Young.
  • edited May 2010
    A comment by Elton John in his documentary led me to Ryan Adams AND meeting my husband led me to umpteen new ecletic artists
    who i had never heard of
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]The Fall.

A mate of mine played me a Fall song sometime around 1987. It pretty much changed my life. I started listening to John Peel and subsequently got into Sebadoh, Pavement, The Wedding present, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine.. and many, many more.

The Fall are amazing they have put me onto so much old stuff that I wouldn't have got into otherwise: The Big Bopper, Gene Vincent, The Kinks, The Monks....
  • The brilliant album 'Tiny Cities by sunkilmoon, which is all translations of Modest Mouse songs then suprisingly led me to Modest Mouse.

A you tube video of modest mouse led to the incredible hungarian film director Bella Tarr
  • Elbow - heard Guy Garvey on the radio, liked his choice of music so had a listen to their last album, within a week had downloaded everything they had released.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Elbow - heard Guy Garvey on the radio, liked his choice of music so had a listen to their last album, within a week had downloaded everything they had released.
    good work, fantastic band, you need to see them live, Garvey is immense. They have just released a Peter Gabriel cover on I-tunes, get that also if you haven't already
  • A few years ago I picked up a Steve Roach album (The Magnificent Void) and loved it - turned me on to all sorts of freeform ambient and drone (Steve Reich, Erik Wollo, Earth, Hototogisu etc). Opened me up to a whole new world of music.
  • Eric Clapton lead me to the "three kings" - BB, Albert and Freddie, Robert Johnson, Elmore James, etc.

Leo Sayer lead me to Deep Purple! Well, sort of - I took a Leo Sayer album to a party in the mid-70s and brought home Deep Purple In Rock by mistake - what a shock that was and I never looked back.
  • I just started listening to Rilo Kiley because a review of The Hold Steady mentioned them favourably. Also came to the Mountain Goats and Silver Jews via The Hold Steady. Great bands all of them.

As already mentioned above, The Fall have been midwives to much of the best music of the last 20 years, including the above to some extent. That said, I've never been a great fan of Mark Smith. Too crabby for my taste.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Elbow - heard Guy Garvey on the radio, liked his choice of music so had a listen to their last album, within a week had downloaded everything they had released.[/quote]
    good work, fantastic band, you need to see them live, Garvey is immense. They have just released a Peter Gabriel cover on I-tunes, get that also if you haven't already[/quote]

Love Elbow, think Garvey is a genius and would love to see them live. I am on many concert mailing lists as we see lots of gigs but please let me know if you here anything about a new tour