Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

11 plus help

edited May 2010 in Not Sports Related
has anyone used a tutor in Sidcup Bexley area, the tests are for stuff the kids haven't actually done yet, crazy really.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Downloaded some mock exam papers from the bexley website today for my one.

http://www.bexley.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4297
  • Options
    some of the teachers at my wifes primary school offer 11plus tutoring I think. I will find out if any are in your area if you wish.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yes pls
  • Options
    She only does Gravesend area but the lady who tutored my son last year was brilliant. He did rather well!
  • Options
    Hi, has anyone on here managed to track down any free (full not sample) mock papers

Thanks

R
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Hi, has anyone on here managed to track down any free (full not sample) mock papers

Thanks

R

You can buy them in WHSmith's
  • Options
    If you've not passed the 11 plus by now mate, its not really worth it.
  • Options
    yeah got them, but run out now and the tutors moan these are harder than the real thing by about 15%, thanks tho
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]If you've not passed the 11 plus by now mate, its not really worth it.

ya think?
  • Options
    Actually the point used to be that kids hadn't learnt it yet so that it test pure IQ not how good the teaching is in one school. Otherwise you ended up with schools totally focussed on passing exams and not on general learning - like now with the stats.

But anyway, there are some really good exercise books on it to learn the way the questions are structured, which is rally what will help them and get their brains working in the right way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My eldest two passed the Bexley test and my youngest is about to take the Kent Test. Both my eldest said that the practice papers were much harder than the real thing if that helps at all!
  • Options
    Just dropped my daughter off to do her maths paper. God I feel sick.
  • Options
    My eldest is doing the maths today and verbal reasoning tomorrow. He's only just turned 10 last month and it seems a barrelload of pressure but heyho. If you pass it appears in Bexley you are fairly certain of a 'good' school whereas if you fail there ain't much quaility.
  • Options
    Daughter turns 11 on Friday. I know the when marking, they take the child's age into account.
  • Options
    mine is ten and a half, she said the maths today was medium, so who knows, her Dad has been totally unsupportive however, but that's another story
  • Options
    Good luck to them all - hope they do as well as my son did last year.

Tough time for parents as well!
  • Options
    Dropped my daughter off for her verbal reasoning today. She is tall for her age, standing just over 5ft, there was another girl there that was a good 4" taller than her. Don't think there are any checks to ensure that the child sitting the exam is the person that should be sitting it.
  • Options
    I agree with falconwood - it is a load of pressure on them and a ton of homework.

My son has done his Kent tests and is waiting for the results.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Dropped my daughter off for her verbal reasoning today. She is tall for her age, standing just over 5ft, there was another girl there that was a good 4" taller than her. Don't think there are any checks to ensure that the child sitting the exam is the person that should be sitting it.
    You just wish you'd thought of sending her Mum in !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Dropped my daughter off for her verbal reasoning today. She is tall for her age, standing just over 5ft, there was another girl there that was a good 4" taller than her. Don't think there are any checks to ensure that the child sitting the exam is the person that should be sitting it.
    You just wish you'd thought of sending her Mum in !

She doesnt want a lower score. ;-0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]My eldest is doing the maths today and verbal reasoning tomorrow. He's only just turned 10 last month and it seems a barrelload of pressure but heyho. If you pass it appears in Bexley you are fairly certain of a 'good' school whereas if you fail there ain't much quaility.

I disagree with that - Hurstmere and cleeve park both have goods GCSE results (Cleeve Park has improved vastly inb the last few years since for several reasons) and not a million miles away just out of borough are Coopers (Chislehurst) and Crown Woods (Avery Hill). I live in Sidcup and i won't have a problem if my eldest fails his 11 plus that he's just taken and goes to any of those. Kemnal Manor is also supposed to be good now.

People will find their own level and if they want to learn they can, at any school.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I agree with your last paragraph but not the rest. Heyho lets hope #1 son does the business as we speak...
  • Options
    how about the two Academys Falconwood and Welling anyone know if they are any good? Or Blackfen for girls?
  • Options
    Harris is meant to be ok, likewise Crown Woods....we are hoping for Bexley Grammar. I find it all bonkers.
  • Options
    i heard the academys had improved but compared to what, they were failed schools weren't they?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Harris is meant to be ok, likewise Crown Woods....we are hoping for Bexley Grammar. I find it all bonkers.

Not meaning to dig you out but how do you know Harris is meant to be okay? The GCSE pass rates are by a distance, the worst of any school we've looked at. It's the old Westwood school. I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the academy tag for a good school, which it isn't. Generally it will be a school in a reasonably deprived area, and probably hasn't been very good. I'm intersted to know what you think is wrong with the school's i mentioned as obviously it will help when selecting if my son doesn't 'make it'.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dig away all you like. Havent got the time at the mo but like you said it is an interesting topic.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    strikes me that comps are a lottery
  • Options
    I hear that the ofsted reports are worth a look

Blackfen school for girls below, I think their open evening is tonight

http://www.blackfenschoolforgirls.co.uk/page_viewer.asp?page=Home&pid=1

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxedu_providers/full/(urn)/101465

other useful links

http://www.bexley.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=498
  • Options
    Harris Academy (Falconwood)