Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goals missed.

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
3 Blokes earlier post on those most remembered goals made me start thinking of those that got away. You know, the if only "if my aunt had bollocks, she'd be my uncle" ones.

The missed goal that I remember was at St Andrews at the end of the with Birmingham having to win to survive. Charlton were outplaying Brum in front of a rather passionate crowd. A ball was put through to Gorman who then missed right in front of the goal. I was really pleased, not only was it a meaningless game for Charlton, but the Brummies were baying for blood. As per normal, the Addicks managed to let the Brummies win 1-0. And at the end of the match, the blues came running over to Addicks in a confrontational mode, but only to find some addicks wanting to congratulate or swap scarves or whatever, which pacified the brummies. Me and my brother made a quick exit for the car.

I still hate St Andrews to this day.

Comments

• Options
    Redfearn's penalty against Forest at The Valley in 98/9. We drew 0-0. Those extra two points might have given us the momentum to stay up.

Redfearn rarely missed penalties either until he came to us!
  • Options
    Was that brum game the day they put through all the windows of the coaches after the game?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Not sure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]3 Blokes earlier post on those most remembered goals made me start thinking of those that got away. You know, the if only "if my aunt had bollocks, she'd be my uncle" ones.

The missed goal that I remember was at St Andrews at the end of the with Birmingham having to win to survive. Charlton were outplaying Brum in front of a rather passionate crowd. A ball was put through to Gorman who then missed right in front of the goal. I was really pleased, not only was it a meaningless game for Charlton, but the Brummies were baying for blood. As per normal, the Addicks managed to let the Brummies win 1-0. And at the end of the match, the blues came running over to Addicks in a confrontational mode, but only to find some addicks wanting to congratulate or swap scarves or whatever, which pacified the brummies. Me and my brother made a quick exit for the car.

I still hate St Andrews to this day.

i've never been so pleased to see us lose a game. their fans were literally on the pitch for the last 5 mins and an equalizer would've ended in bloodshed. they were equally bemused by the fact we were cheering when the final whistle went not knowing that news had just come through that palace had gone down. a very eventful day out.
  • Options
    i'm sure Peter Garland cracked the crossbar that day.
  • Options
    Well and truly giving my age away now...
    Bobby Curtis missing a penalty (possibly the only time he ever missed?) v Preston, last game of season, old third division in 70s. We needed to win to get promoted, and were 0-1 down at the time. What a tense match. Thought it was not going to be our night at that point, but we came back to win 3-1. Anyone else remember it? I was extremely young at the time, so may have a couple of the details wrong!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Redfearn's penalty against Forest at The Valley in 98/9. We drew 0-0. Those extra two points might have given us the momentum to stay up.

Redfearn rarely missed penalties either until he came to us!

even at 10years old at the time, i can still remember that crystal clear
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Well and truly giving my age away now...
    Bobby Curtis missing a penalty (possibly the only time he ever missed?) v Preston, last game of season, old third division in 70s. We needed to win to get promoted, and were 0-1 down at the time. What a tense match. Thought it was not going to be our night at that point, but we came back to win 3-1. Anyone else remember it? I was extremely young at the time, so may have a couple of the details wrong!!

No, Weegie, your details are correct. Bob Curtis missed in front of the covered end just before HT when we were losing 1-0. We came back in the 2nd half , however, to win 3-1 and secure promotion. Hales and Goldthorpe got 2 of the goals, though I cannot remember who got the other one. Bobby Charlton was the Preston manager and it was a Tuesday night in May 1975. I can still see Harry Cripps dancing around with no teeth at the final whistle!!
  • Options
    [cite]
    No, Weegie, your details are correct. Bob Curtis missed in front of the covered end just before HT when we were losing 1-0. We came back in the 2nd half , however, to win 3-1 and secure promotion. Hales and Goldthorpe got 2 of the goals, though I cannot remember who got the other one. Bobby Charlton was the Preston manager and it was a Tuesday night in May 1975. I can still see Harry Cripps dancing around with no teeth at the final whistle!!

Thanks Pete - I certainly remember it being a brilliant evening. Best Charlton feeling till the Play-off Final.
  • Options
    Weegie I was 13 (still a small kid) at the time and was standing on the railings at the front of The Covered End.
    Towards the end of the game loads of blokes came down to the front for the celebratory pitch invasion.
    I remember asking a policeman if I could run on at the end and of course he said no.I was distraught.I remember the tears welling up in my eyes.
    However as all the lads piled on I managed to avoid the copper and join them.I remember feeling so brave as I avoided his grasp.
    What a great night that was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Well and truly giving my age away now...

I was there!

What a night.....Old 'Arry Cripps got kicked in the head first half and played for 10 minutes with bandages wrapped round his head. He was subbed half time and Peter Hunt came on, ran the midfield and changed the game second half.

Bobby Goldthorpe equalised with a header against the underside of the bar in best Geoff Hurst World Cup Final tradition.
    Did the ball cross the line? Probably not.

By then, Killer was in rampant mood and suddenly we were all over Preston. He scored - and here's my dodgy memory - I think Peter Hunt scored the other.

Bobby Charlton was indeed Player/Manager (the only time I saw him play) and subbed himself before the end.

The atmosphere was electric. And nobody went home early.
    When the final whistle went the crowd just invaded the pitch and we all sang, danced and celebrated under the floodlights.

We sang for the team to come back out and after a while they appeared in the old stand (the only seats in the ground in those days) arms across each others shoulders, singing with us and swigging from bottles and arseing about.

Eventually, the crowd drifted away and we ended up in the Valley Club with the players - I always remember talking football with Paddy Powell and a very drunk Halesy....Ha! Happy days!