Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morrissey / genious or twat?

124»

Comments

• Options
    The Quo - Palace fans.

Nuff said.
  • Options
    Ah Yes, the dynamic high notes and the extensive range and colour of Morrisseys voice...lest not forget the many musical scales used and the dramatic key changes that tore at our souls.
    Anyone could write a Smiths type song...have a go, you'll amaze yourself!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Ah Yes, the dynamic high notes and the extensive range and colour of Morrisseys voice...lest not forget the many musical scales used and the dramatic key changes that tore at our souls.

I'm surprised that, as a musician yourself, you are being so intolerant.

And ... as they say ... sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I don't think Morrissey has ever professed to have dynamic high notes etc etc etc.

You disappoint me as you have always come across as quite open-minded in the past.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Ah Yes, the dynamic high notes and the extensive range and colour of Morrisseys voice...lest not forget the many musical scales used and the dramatic key changes that tore at our souls.

I'm surprised that, as a musician yourself, you are being so intolerant.

And ... as they say ... sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I don't think Morrissey has ever professed to have dynamic high notes etc etc etc.

You disappoint me as you have always come across as quite open-minded in the past.
    Nothing like other musicians to slag off... other musicians. I've been in bands for twenty years on and off. I don't know a single guitarist worth their salt who doesn't think Johnny Marr was anything other than a fantastically talented guitarist and songwriter. Opinion is more divided on Morrissey, largely because he behaves like such a f***ing berk, but even with all his foibles, he's still a wonderful lyricist - albeit with a slightly dodgy voice.
  • Options
    What Leroy Says.

Check out YouTube and watch James Dean Bradfield trying (painfully badly) to play 'This Charming Man' intro. . .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]

Lyrically, Morrissey is getting to the stage where's he's becoming derivative of himself. For Morrissey, this presents an interesting paradox. On the one hand, in a culture that decrees "change or die", Morrissey treads a rocky path by continuing to preach the same ideas that he's been preaching since the early 1980s whilst remaining doggedly indifferent to fickle musical and ideological trends. Meanwhile on the other, Morrissey's status as an icon today is based on the collective propagation of a myth of what he once was and represented — a version of the artist somewhat at odds with t reality of the man and his music today. The fanatical adoration surrounding Morrissey today is founded on nostalgia, specifically a yearning for the Morrissey of the 1980s — the superstar-outsider frontman of The Smiths. It's not for nothing that, despite a short five year lifespan, the Smiths have had a much more profound influence on subsequent culture than Morrissey has had on his own over the entire 20-plus year history of his solo career.

Arguably you could remove Morrissey from that piece and substitute any of Ray Davies, Paul McCartney, Lennon(post Beatles), Bowie (post Scary Monsters) and many other major artists.
    Seems most creative artist have a golden period which they spend the rest of the career trying to recapture.
    Even when their later stuff has merit it is always compared unfavourably with their golden age.

Ray Davies is another who regularly retreads the same familiar themes in his work almost to the point of cliche and self parody, although I for one still love his work
  • Options
    OMG what a miserable lot of humourless souls some of you are...I couldnt care less if you think I shouldnt have an opinion on Morrisseys limited voice just because I sing myself.

Senario: Ex car mechanic has car repaired but the repair is not up to standard. He doesnt complain because he lives by stonemuse's philosophy that you shouldnt criticise or talk down about anyone that works in a similar field to your own...no matter how crap they are LOL.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Leroy Ambrose...I never criticised Johnny Marr (bigged up by me in earlier comment) or Morrisseys lyrics, but you can pretend I did if you like...

PPS stonemuse...how do you know that others that have criticised Morrissey on here are not musicians? Or do you prefer to pick on girls only?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Leroy Ambrose...I never criticised Johnny Marr (bigged up by me in earlier comment) or Morrisseys lyrics, but you can pretend I did if you like...

PPS stonemuse...how do you know that others that have criticised Morrissey on here are not musicians? Or do you prefer to pick on girls only?
    Bollocks. As a musician yourself, you know full well Morrissey never contributed a single bar to any of the Smiths' songs - Marr wrote all of it. Criticising Morrissey's voice is one thing - criticising scales and key changes, entirely another. However you try and dress it up, or backtrack on it - you were criticising Marr - whose songwriting was fantastic. I'm a guitarist. I don;t criticise singers because I can't sing a f***ing note. I DO, however, know talented guitarists and songwriters when I see them - and Marr is both.

Slightly pointless actually, considering this thread is about Morrissey!
  • Options
    Yep you're right, I did criticise Marr's writing...still love his playing though! (scrolls back to see if I ever criticised Marr's playing) NOPE!

You are sooooooooo angry...smoke a spliff, put on the centenary vid and take a chill pill!

Peace and love man!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Yep you're right, I did criticise Marr's writing...still love his playing though! (scrolls back to see if I ever criticised Marr's playing) NOPE!

You are sooooooooo angry...smoke a spliff, put on the centenary vid and take a chill pill!

Peace and love man!!!!!!!!!!
    Drugs are sad.
  • Options
    FIGHT......!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose
    Drugs are sad.

Yeah, but very moreish.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    Drugs are sad.[/cite]
    [cite]

Yeah, but very moreish.....[/cite]
    LMFAO - Literally. Funniest thing I've seen on here for weeks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Leroy Ambrose...I never criticised Johnny Marr (bigged up by me in earlier comment) or Morrisseys lyrics, but you can pretend I did if you like...

Bollocks. As a musician yourself, you know full well Morrissey never contributed a single bar to any of the Smiths' songs - Marr wrote all of it. Criticising Morrissey's voice is one thing - criticising scales and key changes, entirely another. However you try and dress it up, or backtrack on it - you were criticising Marr - whose songwriting was fantastic. I'm a guitarist. I don;t criticise singers because I can't sing a f***ing note. I DO, however, know talented guitarists and songwriters when I see them - and Marr is both.

Slightly pointless actually, considering this thread is about Morrissey!
    And there was I thinking that Rouke and Joyce had an equal hand in the songwriting ;-)

[cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    Drugs are sad.[/cite]
    [cite]

Yeah, but very moreish.....[/cite]
    Well said Super Hans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    And there was I thinking that Rouke and Joyce had an equal hand in the songwriting ;-)
    Hahaha - don't drag that one up again! Moz and Marr will end up busking!
  • Options

Puerile
  • Options
    Stonemuse...you tread on olive branches...so I fart in your face and throw cows in your general direction....now cheer up and dont get so upset about people not liking the bands you like. How you get through a day in the real world I dont know...

Always look on the bright side of life......always look on the bright side of life......
  • Options
    There's a difference between people not liking the bands you like, and people making preposterous statements about specific musicians and then trying to backtrack afterwards. If you think Johnny Marr's shit, then at least have the courage of your convictions and stick with it. Don't try and backpedal after the fact. Anyone who think johnny Marr is a rubbish songwriter has the IQ of a box of wet hair.
  • Options
    Oh dear Mr Ambrose...you havnt been taking your medication have you? If you had youd have seen this earlier comment by my good self:

(quote) So glad I started this thread...I've discovered The Cribs, WOW brilliant guitar by the much maligned Johnny Marr. Laying back chords with that magic 128 is a mark of perfect feel and timing. Plenty of guitarist can play manic scales (Kieth 'I've just crapped myself' Airey) comes to mind, but they mean nothing if they have no soul (Quote)

Add to this the fact that at no time have I said that JH is rubbish, then youll understand why everyone else on here is wondering WTF you are talking about LOL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You're contradicting yourself. Without wishing to get into an argument about semantics, you yourself admitted you criticised Marr's writing. Scroll back up if you don't believe me (maybe you were mashed at the time?)

Like I said, have the courage of your convictions, but don't expect not to get pulled on them if they are, frankly, bollocks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]You're contradicting yourself. Without wishing to get into an argument about semantics.

You leave Jewish people out of this
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I like his writing...just not with "The Smiths" Have you had a look in your garden today? Maybe there is a blade of grass thats bending in the opposite direction to the others...go and sort it, theres a good lad!

And what Dave says...leave the Jews out of this...though in saying that, where would the music industry be without them?

ps. I must cut down on the drugs! Notice I didnt say "give them up"
  • Options
    Its only rock n roll.....
  • Options
    bibble....thats much too sensible and lighthearted for this thread...