Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Art Appreciation Thread (formally Starry Night)

Comments

• And nobody has .......!
  • She a house maid so maybe it is the key to that house. Not sure TBH

That's right, it was to show she was a housemaid
  • Not a big fan of Botticelli but many of his paintings are pleasing to look at - I think this is one of his weaker ones
  • Not my cup of tea at all.
  • I enjoyed Pete n Dud discussing Botticelli in that sketch they did.

Not keen myself.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I enjoyed Pete n Dud discussing Botticelli in that sketch they did.

Not keen myself.

- Of course, similarly, we don’t get them Botticelli cherubs about the place.

- They’ve died out of course, they hunted them down for their silken skin, you know, Dud.

- They couldn’t kill them, Pete, because they were immortal.

- No, they weren’t, they shot them through with arows through their tiny little bellies, and then their skin was turned into underwear for rich ladies.

- I reckon they went up to heaven, like the angels.

- No, they didn’t.

- Of course there’s no call for angels now, is there.

- No, you don’t see much of them these days, do you.
  • RothkoTryptich.jpg

In honour of one of our regular posters.
    In the immortal words of another, discuss:
  • doesn't really work on a PC but I do like them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]RothkoTryptich.jpg

In honour of one of our regular posters.
    In the immortal words of another, discuss:
    I wouldn't want him painting my back bedroom...
  • Rothko wouldn't do it. He died soon after Matt Tees was sold to Luton.

Where's Kimbo, VG, and the others ...... opinions please?
    Any colourists on here?
  • Sponsored links:

• Going back to Stanley Spencer there is a new exhibition of his "Shipbuilding on the Clyde" at the new No.1 Smithery at Chatham (in the historic dockyard).

Really good to see so much of the piece plus sketches.

The dockyard was good too. Especially enjoyed the Rope Yard and the Submarine.
  • That's my weekend taken care of! Cheers Henry. Plus if you're near Henry's statue, pop into the National Portrait Gallery and take a look at the BP Portrait Award 2010. Completely free with a wide range of styles and ideas. Some brilliant pieces there and you can vote for your favourite.

http://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/exhibitions/bp-portrait-award-2010.php
  • The "Art Appreciation Society" is back!

Charlton Life ...... the only football website that discusses culture.

;o)
  • Always enjoy the Portrait Awards at the NPG.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]The "Art Appreciation Society" is back!

Charlton Life ...... the only football website that discusses culture.

;o)

As though our reputation as anoraks isn't already bad enough!
  • By special request from one of of shyer members

This months picture for your comments

Judith Beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio, painted in 1598-99.

The picture tells the story from the apocryphal Book of Judith. The widow Judith saves her people by first charming the Assyrian general Holofernes, then decapitating him in his tent.

Discuss
  • Morale of the story ...... never go back to her place on a first date.
  • very good the Caravaggio, but not something for the kids bedroom.
  • Re the Portrait Awards 2010 at the National Portrait Gallery, if you think (as I did) that today's artists just do 'modern art' and don't have the technique to do work as compelling to look at as the Old Masters, go and have a look at this exhibition. It's brilliant, free and on for another month.
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Morale of the story ...... never go back to her place on a first date.

lol...thing is ive had worse dates!
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm a fan of Rothko as well. Something very calming about his work - though a mite depressing as well. The Seagram Murals are fantastic.

I like a bit of mediæval art as well - Bosch, Bruegel, Holbein.

Dali was a genius - the exhibition at the Tate modern a couple of years back was fantastic and the museum/theatre in Figueres is great. I also really like a couple of the other surrealists (Max Ernst, Kay Sage and Yves Tanguy). There used to be a British artist called John Greenwood who did some really good surrealist stuff - almost cartoony in nature, yet very similar to Tanguy - but I think he's disappeared off the face of the Earth. I don't mind Kandinsky, but Picasso and Mondrian leaves me cold.

I like some Pre-Raphaelite stuff (not as much as the wife, who loves it all) - Waterhouse and Dicksee especially.
  • Re Caravaggio: Very dramatic, not only in subject matter but also in the use of light illuminating Judith and Holofernes in the centre panel with good diagnol lines expressed with both the sword and the light. Caravaggio was instrumental in the formation of Baroque painting, where one of the major features of Baroque painting is contorted images. Did you see the Andrew Graham-Dixon prog on Caravaggio in BBC4 a few weeks ago, emphasised that this is a troubled man who whilst succesful in life was completely forgotten about until a reemergence in the 20th C, funny how art can go out of fashion
  • For those living locally and interested in Art, my friend is opening an exhibition entitled "Tree Paper Tree "at the Cueb at Brockley Mess. Her work is on display from 8th September to 14th October, worth a visit

Tree Paper Tree
  • The cuy that chops sheep up and sticks em in cases held an auction of his own works, raised some £11 milliom. One was a full sized Bull another was the a much smaller bull painted gold in a glass case with a message in it from the bible it said " do not worship false idols" -------------------it sold for cart loads of dosh !!

My love (ho ho) of modern art is well known but the weird thing is i have now been given the task of looking after 3 differant organisations art wok portfolios (at seperate times) -- one was an oil company--one a 5 star hotel and now a local authority ?

If someone tells me its art because of the use of shade/light colour/persective --------ok maybe i can see that but pleasssssssssseeeeeeeee a pile of f**king bricks or Tracy Ermins outside bog !! do f**K off its a CON not art WAKE UP !!
  • Sounds like you could do with a beer, GH.
  • mate a pile of bricks is a pile of bricks id have to have 20 beers to agree that its art.

Not long ago one of the Government orgs spent cart loads on "art" -- wast of our cash but thats Labour knobs for you. They got the artist to go on tv and explain it------what a pile of poo --how did he keep a straight face ? it was in a park---few months later the local bin men lobed it in a crusher !! they thought is was a pile of dumped crap !!!!! which of course it was ---- only some knob head had shelled out our tax money onit as he was told its "art" !!
  • The bricks did indeed provoke uproar and became one of the world's best known 'works of art'. The consequence, as remarked upon by a gallery assistant was ...'these bricks have really brought the public in. They can't make head or tail of them. Nothing has attracted as much attention as they have'.
    Highly astute of the Tate IMO. Just a year later, the Tate launched a campaign to raise money to buy two of Stubbs paintings - Reapers and Haymakers and prevent them being sold overseas. Had it not been for 'The Bricks' the campaign might well have not have acchieved the level of publicity that it did, and the two paintings would not have have been saved.
    The Tate continues with its more controversial features such as the Turner Prize Exhibition, and its success in attracting young visitors has been truly phenomenal. The Tate modern attracts 2million visitors a year so it's a real British success story. If you don't like the contents, then there's always the peregrine falcons that sit way up on the chimney stack. I wasn't impressed with The Bricks either, but they've paid for themselves many times over.
  • edited September 2010
    My 6 year old daughter went to a Van Gogh workshop at the National Gallery where they showed how to use and mix oil paints. She absolutely loved it and did a cracking version of one of the great man's Sunflowers. A bit late in the summer hols I know but if you have kids get them along there for one of the workshops. They have a talk about the artist and the painting and then help them all the way through the painting process. Thats not her painting by the way.
  • Any chance we could see what she painted?
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I'm a fan of Rothko as well. Something very calming about his work - though a mite depressing as well. The Man On A Bike Going Through A Red Light is fantastic.

:-) bit frisky as its friday!