Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Art Appreciation Thread (formally Starry Night)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]In the Crevelli painting, why is there a dildo and an apple right in the foreground?

Symbolism: If you play with dildos for long enough, you WILL eventually fall to the floor like a discarded apple?
  • Options
    To tie in Fauvism with another thread, I prefer Matisse's cut outs to Blakes collages.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    T03977_9.jpg

This is genius. Appearing at the Tate Modern, free of charge.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]put into context that this painting was an altar piece painted in 1486.
    And therefore it's very much a product of its time.

Spot on, it's a product of it's time.

It's not meant to be a portrait of Mary as they would have had no knowledge of what she looked liked or much cared. She is herself a symbol. The painter would be surprised why anyone would want a "realistic" painting as that wasn't the purpose of Art then.

It is in "modern" (to the original viewer) times because it is a message for those people.

It's purpose is to tell a story and remind people of the power and glory of that city.
    Like I said, it's just a very good painting....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]T03977_9.jpg

This is genius. Appearing at the Tate Modern, free of charge.

No it's not - I know I'm biting but what it looks like is my 20 year old dust sheet. 99% of art produced recently seems to be about clever marketing rather than talent.
  • Options
    Pollock's?
  • Options
    Agree with you on that BA my brother is into his art (him and his mate did the mural in the garden of the Amersham arms in new cross if any one drinks in there) and im always rowing with him about what i consider to be utter tosh but is held up to be a masterpiece. (well not always...very rarely discuss it with him tbh)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]

No it's not - I know I'm biting but what it looks like is my 20 year old dust sheet. 99% of art produced recently seems to be about clever marketing rather than talent.

Not a big fan of abstract art but that is really good IMHO.

Looks like a line of dancers. Great colours and movement.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    matisse-gerbe1173112658.jpg

If a five year old child did that and took that to their teacher they'd say 'Ooooo, isn't that lovely, mummy will love that on her fridge door...'

85 year old artiste going gaga and it's a masterpiece...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My favorites are Renaisence paintings by people like Botticelli (as mentioned above) Leonardo, Michelangelo the architects aswell Brunilleschi and that. Love the Renaisence.
  • Options
    Hogarth is great ... I like all of his stuff, but this is probably one of his better known. The exhibition at the Tate Modern a couple of years back was excellent.
  • Options
    I really want to be able to post pics on here but for some reason it only comes out as a link and does not work. Mac's are great when they work lol. If it did work i would show you guys all my favorite Renaisence artists La Primenerva, Annucation and the like.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Hogarth is great ... I like all of his stuff, but this is probably one of his better known. The exhibition at the Tate Modern a couple of years back was excellent.

In Tate Britain on Millbank, there's a number of Hogarths on permanent display, I believe.

Just round the corner from Pimlico tube station, Victoria Line.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]I really want to be able to post pics on here but for some reason it only comes out as a link and does not work.

I get the same, Rupert - and I'm using a knackered PC laptop not a Mac.

"I for Idiot" guide, please ....... if someone can explain how to do it. Just one more time.
  • Options
    save the pic to your computer.

Then when you have the thread click on browse and find the pic on your PC. you should then be able to add it.

works for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Hogarth is great ... I like all of his stuff, but this is probably one of his better known. The exhibition at the Tate Modern a couple of years back was excellent.[div id=Attachments_717594 class=Attachments][ul][div]William_Hogarth_-_Gin_Lane.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

See what a wonderful place London was in the good old days. No drunkeness, no child abuse or poverty.

there is another picture to go with this called Beer St where everyone is fit and happy. LOL

Two huge Hogarth paintings at the Great Hall at Barts. The medical Musuem and the great Hall is well worth a look for anyone of you City workers one lunchtime. If you are lucky you might get to see Lady Irving as well ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]I really want to be able to post pics on here but for some reason it only comes out as a link and does not work.

I get the same, Rupert - and I'm using a knackered PC laptop not a Mac.

"I for Idiot" guide, please ....... if someone can explain how to do it. Just one more time.

LOL you and me both then Oggy. Oh mate if i could post pics on here i would be all over the reaisence art with comments and that :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]See what a wonderful place London was in the good old days. No drunkeness, no child abuse or poverty.
    image.php?AttachmentID=3386
    It's purpose is to tell a story and remind people of the power and glory of that city....
  • Options
    Beer Street
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the time those two Hogarths were painted there was a real drink problem in many cities of Britain, especially with gin drinkers, hence the ugly scenes from the Gin Lane scene.

The Beer Street picture is supposed to demonstrate the safe consumption of healthier beer...

Now't changes...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That's the one, Stonemuse

Art as social commentary. In Beer Street the Pawn Brokers is going out of business and the people are well fed and happy. So Beer is good for you and not a cause for concern but desirable.

In BBC2 voice **So here we see the purpose of art changing from the religious and political propaganda of the renaissance to social comment and moral warnings in the 18th Century of Hogarth. Also the depiction is now much less stylised and more true to life. The Art also shows ordinary people in ordinary settings, something rarely seen as appropriate in earlier high art**
  • Options
    Before I read your comment Henry, I had noticed the pawnbrokers too, and wondered if it was symbolic. I must be getting sharper in me old age...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Before I read your comment Henry, I had noticed the pawnbrokers too, and wondered if it was symbolic. I must be getting sharper in me old age...

I'll explain it all to you in October mate ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Before I read your comment Henry, I had noticed the pawnbrokers too, and wondered if it was symbolic. I must be getting sharper in me old age...

Also it is much closer to our own times in age and style so it is much easier for us to read it.

You are getting sharper though : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]That's the one, Stonemuse

Art as social commentary. In Beer Street the Pawn Brokers is going out of business and the people are well fed and happy. So Beer is good for you and not a cause for concern but desirable.

In BBC2 voice **So here we see the purpose of art changing from the religious and political propaganda of the renaissance to social comment and moral warnings in the 18th Century of Hogarth. Also the depiction is now much less stylised and more true to life. The Art also shows ordinary people in ordinary settings, something rarely seen as appropriate in earlier high art**
    These prints were not designed to be 'social commentaries', they were pure propaganda, designed to ensure the 'Britishness' of social beer drinking was seen to be so much preferable to the foreign evils of the the devil drink, gin...

Read about the Gin Act of 1736...
  • Options
    In the Beer St pic, I see the pub signs today haven't changed much from 250 years ago.
  • Options
    Again in the Beer St pic, in the centre the comely wench is loving the attention. She has a key in her hand: what's the symbolism there - perhaps that she's holding the key to her own chastity/virginity etc?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]In the Beer St pic, I see the pub signs today haven't changed much from 250 years ago.

No, as I was saying much closer to our time and points of reference
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Again in the Beer St pic, in the centre the comely wench is loving the attention. She has a key in her hand: what's the symbolism there - perhaps that she's holding the key to her own chastity/virginity etc?

She a house maid so maybe it is the key to that house. Not sure TBH
  • Options
    discuss