Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Art Appreciation Thread (formally Starry Night)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: HarryAMuse[/cite]Whilst walking the North Downs Way a few years ago, my companion insisted that we detour to find the spot where Richard Dadd murdered his father.

That was where Dadd's dead Dad died.....?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: HarryAMuse[/cite]Whilst walking the North Downs Way a few years ago, my companion insisted that we detour to find the spot where Richard Dadd murdered his father.

That was where Dadd's dead Dad died.....?

Indeed, deaded his dad, Dadd Snr, did Dadd
  • Options
    did dadd do dat?
  • Options
    My Favorite one i have seen (since picking up my massive interest in Italian Renaisence History which i am now looking to get into seriously) is La Primavera by Botticelli. I am reading a book about it at the moment and its amazing the sectrets you can uncover if you open your mind a little bit i do love this period of history :-).
  • Options
    Meaty.
  • Options
    First, I did not know the song was about VVG or about that painting. The lyrics make a lot more sense now.

Second, I make regular trips to Collioure in the South of France where they have placed reproductions of the many paintings that Fauve artists painted in the town, These are situated where the artist actually stood when he painted them. next to the reproduction is an empty picture frame so you can compare the todays actual view with the painting.

To tie in Fauvism with another thread, I prefer Matisse's cut outs to Blakes collages.

The wine ain't bad in that region either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Meaty.

......Beaty, Big and Bouncy.

Who are you talking about ...which artist?

Seriously, one artist's work that's always interested me .....Giorgio Morandi.
    Linky: Images of Giorgio Morandi's work

While his subject matter can seem to be uninspired, the subtleties of tone IMO are outstanding.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Linky:Images of Giorgio Morandi's work

While his subject matter can seem to be uninspired, the subtleties of tone IMO are outstanding.

LOL Oggy, Gary's refering to a comment i made on another thread about a book. I refered to the book as being meaty and yes the book i am reading now "The Botticelli Sectret" is Meaty too :-).
  • Options
    This thread is way too upmarket for CL:
    Bring back the "Would Ya's"....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]

Linky:Images of Giorgio Morandi's work

LOL Oggy, Gary's refering to a comment i made on another thread about a book. I refered to the book as being meaty and yes the book i am reading now "The Botticelli Sectret" is Meaty too :-).

Rupert, you do realise it's fiction not art criticism ; - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can someone post 'Benefit Supervisor Sleeping' by Lucian Freud for MOG's Would ya? please.

I can't get the hang of how to stick a picture on this board
  • Options
    Sorry,Sorry,Sorry !
    I take it all back........

(thats a NO by the way...................)
  • Options
    Lucien Freud, right FoD?

The Would Ya to end all Would Yas.

Apparently the artist's model is a Charlton fan and posts on this board as VeryLargeAddick.
  • Options
    Thanks FoD
  • Options
    Thought i better explain a few of the symbols in the Carlo Crivelli painting. It shows many of the classic Annunication elements, The Virgin is reading in a clositered environment which is a symbol of her chastity with a lily and the ray of light and the Dove show the moment of Annunication.
    Unusually the setting is a busy townscape with onlookers. This painting was an altar piece for the city of Ascoli, and was painted by Crivelli to celebrate the towns freedom from church rule, shown by the inscription “Libertas Ecclesiastica”. In the centre of the painting is the St Emidius who is holding a model of the town. The colours in the painting are very rich and jewel like and the rugs and peacocks are status symbols. So this painting is equally celebrating the town's freedom and recognising the Annunicaition. This painting is more than 2m tall and as such the persepctive and horizontal and vertical planes are more paramount.
    End of essay before i bore you all.

PS: Cannot believe i am writing about this on a football messageboard, part of CL charm, going to eat a prawn sandwich now!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: P_Air[/cite]Van Gogh lived in Camberwell on Hackford Road for a year. FACT.

Personally I'm a fan of Mark Rothko.

Nice and calming, 'speshially the ones at Tate Modern.

[img][/img]http://hommestar.com/files/images/Mark-Rothko.jpg

I am a Rothko fan too
  • Options
    Looks nothing like Mary....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Looks nothing like Mary....

Ah, right ...... well, we're take your word for that, as no doubt you're old enough to remember meeting her?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Looks nothing like Mary....

Ah, right ...... well, we're take your word for that, as no doubt you're old enough to remember meeting her?
    I think the painting is fantastic, people with a talent like that make me truly envious but given the subject, given what we know about Mary and given what we end up with makes really annoyed at the appalling influence the church has played in portraying historical recreations....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got to agree with you there, RedZed. But we must also put into context that this painting was an altar piece painted in 1486.
    And therefore it's very much a product of its time.

I don't really want to get involved with religious discussion, but ..... no, let's leave this thread just to discuss art!
  • Options
    If you accept the painting has no realistic reflection upon 'actual events' then the arguments over the apparent symbolisms become redundant...

It's just a very good painting...
  • Options
    I can never seem to be able to post pictures ....... but those that can, how about another challenging painting we can now muse over?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite] put into context that this painting was an altar piece painted in 1486.
    And therefore it's very much a product of its time.

Spot on, it's a product of it's time.

It's not meant to be a portrait of Mary as they would have had no knowledge of what she looked liked or much cared. She is herself a symbol. The painter would be surprised why anyone would want a "realistic" painting as that wasn't the purpose of Art then.

It is in "modern" (to the original viewer) times because it is a message for those people.

It's purpose is to tell a story and remind people of the power and glory of that city.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    discuss
  • Options
    Is this a collection of leaf prints by HI Jnr?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: wickford[/cite]Is this a collection of leaf prints by HI Jnr?

Why do think it is by a child?
  • Options
    Looks like an Henri Matisse to me
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Looks like an Henri Matisse to me

It is. Le Gerbe. One of his Cut Outs.
  • Options
    In the Crevelli painting, why is there a dildo and an apple right in the foreground?