Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick Collins

I periodically make the mistake of buying the Mail on Sunday in which the esteemed Patrick Collins (self-appointed keeper of the holy morals of Charlton Athletic and the Labour Party) writes. In his sermon today he preaches that, as a Charlton fan, he would "rather be relegated than be saved by a thug" (aka Ben Thatcher). He had similar views about Bowyer when there was a prospect of Curbs buying him last season.
I know it is difficult for someone as holy as thou to tolerate him representing their club but, believe it or not PC (there's a ironic set of initials for you), this particular long-standing Charlton fan, while finding Thatcher's past misdemeanours thoroughly distasteful and expecting the club to have zero tolerance of any repeat, would prefer at this stage to trust Alan Pardew's judgement than be quite so sanctimonious and pompous about the matter as you. It was of course Pardew that brought Bowyer back to London, at least to date without exhibiting the unbridled thuggery predicted by you.
But then I guess for you PC its like the Tories, once a bastard always a bastard!

Comments

• Options
    Let's see if I understand this...he doesn't want thugs representing his club and fair enough, (though I always feel that there should be a wiping of slates when a player joins a new club) yet he writes for the Daily Mail, a newspaper that thinks nothing of supporting knee-jerk reaction bigotry when it suits it...presumably Patrick Collins sees no irony in that?

If he were a Guardian/Observer writer I might be persuaded to take him seriously until then...
  • Options
    Hi Peanuts,

Have you got a link to that Collins' article?
  • Options
    I'll practice my typing skills Henry:

"Charlton fans are a tolerant bunch. When Iain Dowie was appointed manager they muttered their misgivings and hoped for the best. When he proved spectacularly hopeless they got behind poor, earnest Les Reed. When that experiment failed they convinced themselves that Alan Pardew was just the man. Well, last week Pardew paid £500,000 for Ben Thatcher, the player who famously smashed his elbow into the throat of Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes, "I think he's the sort of character we're going to need," said Pardew. Perhaps. Personally, I would rather be relegated than be saved by a thug. You see tolerance has its limits. Even for Charlton fans."
  • Options
    Cheers Peanuts,

see you soon.
  • Options
    Patrick Collins is a knob,where I used to sit before the North was two tiered was in Upper West where occasionally Patrick Collins would turn up.Now there was a group of us about 7 who get quite worked up about Charlton,but before people pass judgement we have been season ticket holders for the past 20 years.We get excited at times and sometimes use poor language but I think most passionate fans do.Well Patrick used to give us looks that would kill a Para.Yet it springs to mind that I have never seen Patrick on a Wednesday night at Newcastle or at Preston v Colchester when Burnley away was postponed with us 10 minutes from the ground.I take his comments with a pinch of salt because he ain't a real Charlton fan just someone that likes to hang on the journey we have taken over the past 25 years and revel in the story.I'll take whatever it takes to stay in the Championship next year because with Traore there and others we need to get rid of there is a possibility of going down again.We need Pards to start planning for next year with players who can cope in the Championship.I'm not a defeatist but a realist I will be there next year come what May.
  • Options
    Its an awkward one. Normally you get to be a writer because you have strong opinions that generally stand out from the crowd.

Personally, i don't think he will be the only one having misgivings about signing Thatcher, particularly in some of the elder generation that Collins is.

95% though i think will give him support, which is a lot more than some other players get from the crowd !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite] I take his comments with a pinch of salt because he ain't a real Charlton fan just someone that likes to hang on the journey we have taken over the past 25 years and revel in the story.
    Steve, you may disagree with his opinions, but your suggestion that he's hanging on to our story is cobblers. He's been a Charlton fan since he was at school, he's brought up (at least some of) his kids as Charlton fans, and just because work and family commitments mean he he can't make it to every game doesn't mean he's not a fan.

I agree with AFKA, it's partly a generational thing. There's also the issue that it might be considered to make us look hypocritical, having roundly condemned Pat Van Den Hauwe and Kevin Muscat (to name but two) in the past. A similar debate's been going on on the Charlton mailing list, which was vigorously contested on both sides, with some surprising people agreeing with each other. Me, I'm prepared to give Thatcher the benefit of the doubt, as long as he doesn't do it again.
  • Options
    Can't agree with Pat Collins, but the man's entitled to his view.
  • Options
    The bottom line is that he blows hot and cold: either CAFC is the best thing since sliced bread or he's pissed off with us for some politically correct reason. He's been in the latter phase for a while now. This weekend he had the chance to use his affiliation with CAFC to highlight the miscarriage of justice of the additional 1 game ban for Osei Sankofa for a supposedly "frivolous" red-card appeal (a matter which affects all football clubs in fact) but instead decides to get on his high horse about Thatcher.
    Of course he's entitled to his views but "knob" is about right.
  • Options
    I don't think you can dismiss collins as not being a Charlton fan even if you don't agree with him. As has been said there was a debate on the mailing list with Richard Hunt, another long serving and well known Charlton fan taking a similar view.

I disagree with both of them but it is an interesting point. Would we mind having Kevin Muscat? For me that would be wrong but I don't have a problem with Thatcher (other than him being an ex-spanner of course).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sire Henry: I disagree with both of them but it is an interesting point. Would we mind having Kevin Muscat? For me that would be wrong but I don't have a problem with Thatcher (other than him being an ex-spanner of course).

Kevin Muscat should never be allowed in this country again!
  • Options
    For me there's quite a difference between Thatcher and Bowyer. Thatcher concerns me because he has a 15 match suspension hanging over him - I hope that will be a strong enough incentive for him not to see the red mist again, but we have taken a footballing risk. He played well on Sat, and was certainly an improvement on Djimi.

Bowyer is a much more clear cut case. He is a convicted racist. No way would I be happy to have him at our club - it is completely at odds with our community stance, and whatever the footballing reasons, I see no way that we could justify it.
  • Options
    Thatcher concerns me because he has a 15 match suspension hanging over him - I hope that will be a strong enough incentive for him not to see the red mist again,

Hopefully on signing he was informed that his "robust" style of play won't be tolerated.

I agree with your comments about Bowyer, but bear in mind it wasn't that long ago we had di Canio who has publically expressed a liking for Benito Mussolini and went to flash fascist salutes at Lazio.
  • Options
    And you're right about di Canio - at least the salute was after he'd left us!

Sport and politics, eh, a dangerous combination...
  • Options
    not defending him but am not sure Bow is a convicted racist.. (unless I can stand corrected?)
  • Options
    not defending him but am not sure Bow is a convicted racist..

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bowyer

...he was accused over a racial incident in a McDonald's in London, apparently telling the shop's Asian staff to "I don't want to be served by no Paki"

After an incident outside a Leeds city centre nightclub, Bowyer was accused of involvement in the assault of the student Safraz Najeib. Bowyer was found not guilty of affray and grievous bodily harm with intent, but teammate Jonathan Woodgate was found guilty of affray and ordered to serve 100 hours' community service.[4]

Perhaps the most amusing of Bowyer's various racially motivated incidents was the December 19 2001, when the Mirror newspaper published front page, which next to an image of Bowyer's head exclaimed: "I'm the victim... wails boozing, pot smoking, violent, RACIST, cowardly, unapologetic, lying, odious transfer-listed Lee Bowyer (now try and sue us you little scum bag).
  • Options
    I'd be a bit lairy about using Wikipedia as the authoritative source on anything contentious. While it was reported that there was a racial dimension to the McDonald's incident, his conviction was just for affray, not any racially motivated offence. And he was found not guilty in the Safraz Najeib case.

So you could probably get away with calling him a reputed rascist, but not a convicted one.