Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Super Phil Parkinson

I just want to thank Phil Parkinson for this season, he's worked bloody hard putting a squad together on nothing and what we have achieved is quite remarkable. We were by far the better side tonight and in recent weeks you can see the players have been playing for the shirt and that's down to Parkinson.

I'm sure if he was backed financially we would have gone up through auto's this year, but hey that's the hand he's been dealt and he's got on with it. Should we keep him? I believe so, he's done a great job here and I believe further change could damage us more.

Comments

• Options
    It was nice to see him so animated and passionate on the touchline tonight.
  • Options
    Had one of the best squads in the league decent manager would have got us up top two if not at least beat a mid table team with two good striker team in swindon
  • Options
    I would love to see him at the club next yr, think the aging free's we're gonna be looking at to supplement a very young squad next yr, woudl relate to and respect him aswel, ala dailey/burton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_hero[/cite]I just want to thank Phil Parkinson for this season, he's worked bloody hard putting a squad together on nothing and what we have achieved is quite remarkable. We were by far the better side tonight and in recent weeks you can see the players have been playing for the shirt and that's down to Parkinson.

I'm sure if he was backed financially we would have gone up through auto's this year, but hey that's the hand he's been dealt and he's got on with it. Should we keep him? I believe so, he's done a great job here and I believe further change could damage us more.

Seconded. I imagine not a popular view but one i agree with. In a summer of uncertainty, managerial stability is what we need.

Wouldn't agree he has done a great job though, ultimately he has failed in his aim of getting us back up. But considering everyone else has spent money, and he hasn't I commend him.
  • Options
    Fair enough, that's one way to look at it......
  • Options
    I also hope parky stays on i think he has been a good manager for us and with a budget he would of done alot more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_hero[/cite]I just want to thank Phil Parkinson for this season, he's worked bloody hard putting a squad together on nothing and what we have achieved is quite remarkable. We were by far the better side tonight and in recent weeks you can see the players have been playing for the shirt and that's down to Parkinson.

Seconded. I imagine not a popular view but one i agree with. In a summer of uncertainty, managerial stability is what we need.

Wouldn't agree he has done a great job though, ultimately he has failed in his aim of getting us back up. But considering everyone else has spent money, and he hasn't I commend him.

he was backed by the Board, he can have no complaints on that score. Ultimately he has failed. Too soon for recriminations though, that can wait until tomorrow (later today).
  • Options
    Would like to see Swindon's wage bill vs ours.

Don't think hes had a great season at all.

Can't sign a striker for toffee.

However, if all the players wages are for the chop, will be surprised if the coaching staff doesnt go for a burton too.
  • Options
    I agrree, he deserves credit, but that's not withstanding some costly errors. However, I like the guy, so unless there is someone proven to be much better, well, I'll stick with Parky (I think we're going to need the money elsewhere too)
  • Options
    here here, hope he stays on next year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]he was backed by the Board, he can have no complaints on that score. Ultimately he has failed. Too soon for recriminations though, that can wait until tomorrow (later today).

I agree he was backed by the board in respect of wages, alot of which went on the garbage Pardew lumbered him with (see Moo2, Dickson, Fleetwood, Sinclair, McLeod etc.). But in transfer fees he hasn't been backed at all, which I don't want to get angry with the board for seeing as we are screwed financially as it is. But, when you see the players Norwich were able to bring in January for example, he's done a good job to be anywhere near them imo. I'd say the team we had tonight is better than the one we had for most of last season, and that's from what Parky has achieved through only buying one player in 18 months.

Large I know you haven't been his biggest fan through the season, but who do you honestly think could have done better in the circumstances who was available and on similar wages? We've failed I agree on that, but given the shape of our squad a week before the season, I expected a lot worse than he has achieved.
  • Options
    Nothing but respect for the man.

Jesus Christ, what do people expect from a manager, seriously?

He got us within two points of automatic promotion and we lose on penalties in the Play-Offs - how much more can he do to please some people?

Feck me sideways, the bloke has not had a pot to piss in and yet he still cobbled together a very effective side full of free transfers and loanees that nobody else wanted and came within spitting distance of pulling it off.

And his reward for that should be the sack? WTF are people on about? Let's say we sack him (which we won't/can't), then which of modern football's great managers are going to be banging on Murray's door demanding the job? I bet Mourinho/Van Gaal/Hiddinck are waiting with baited fecking breath. Turn it up.

The only plausible way forward is to put together the best possible squad for next season and to keep some continuity with Parkinson in charge and going one better next time.

Its not Parkinson's fault we ended up in League One, the damage was done by others, and he brought us within a whisker of going back up first time - sacking him would be a disaster.
  • Options
    Not too keen on his quote after the game:

"When the big games come my boys have produced good performances"

Just thinking about that humiliation at the toolbox....hmmmm...
  • Options
    That's all very well but do we have the money to keep him and his staff?

We are in the brown stuff now.
  • Options
    sorry have to disagree whole heartedly

the reason we are in this tinpot shit league in the first place is partly his fault how many games to save us when he took over????

the reason we are still in it is his fault too he has worked hard and tirelessly yep i agree but he didnt do it for nothing he got paid and he got paid to take us back up ultimatly if he stays i wont be that bothered and iuf he goes i wil be pleased but it is not the end of the world for me if he stays.

but please dont try to paper over cracks, his team 2nd or 3rd highest wage bill and he made some almighty rickets in team selection and tactical nous during important games

yes he got it right at times but it was not enough

the buck stops at the mgr
  • Options
    Unless Curbishley gets so bored that he volunteers to work for a pittance, I would keep Phil P. With all the personnel changes that are now bound to happen we need as much continuity as we can get.

On the other hand, on the non-playing side, can I join the "Waggot Out" club, please?
  • Options
    Bollocks. Team were amazing tonight but it was a rare phenomenon.

I could have got that set of players promoted.

Super Phil nothing. Got us relegated and failed to win us promotion from division 3.

Cloud cuckoo land some of you live on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Killarahales[/cite]
    On the other hand, on the non-playing side, can I join the "Waggot Out" club, please?

I was wondering how long after the game it would take for Mr 24/7 to be mentioned! Only surprise is that you're not Seth Plum
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]sorry have to disagree whole heartedly

the reason we are in this tinpot shit league in the first place is partly his fault how many games to save us when he took over????

the reason we are still in it is his fault too he has worked hard and tirelessly yep i agree but he didnt do it for nothing he got paid and he got paid to take us back up ultimatly if he stays i wont be that bothered and iuf he goes i wil be pleased but it is not the end of the world for me if he stays.

but please dont try to paper over cracks, his team 2nd or 3rd highest wage bill and he made some almighty rickets in team selection and tactical nous during important games

yes he got it right at times but it was not enough

the buck stops at the mgr

OK, he probably did make mistakes this season, who doesn't make mistakes?

But he could not have made that many seeing as we finished with one win of automatic promotion.

It wasn't him that forced Eliott to cock up away at Norwich or for us to miss a dozen chances at home to Norwich or concede in injury time at home to Millwall.....the players are just as responsible as him.

As for relegation from the CCC, well, all I can say is that there are plenty of folk on here who are very knowledgeable about their football who were predicting disaster after watching the opening game of the season (2-0 win against Swansea) and were saying (and being derided for saying so) that we looked a very poor side.

By the time Parkinson took over in late November the die was well and truly cast, we had a shocking squad (a crippled Linvoy Primus playing at the back, Varney/Gray up front and our best player was a semi-interested Bouazza) with no money at all to fix things up.

Sure, you can say that PP played his role as Pardew's assistant, but you can't seriously apportion any significant amount of the blame on PP, the big decisions were being made by Pardew and he led us to disaster.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

Jesus large, we might just get some stability with this guy, but no, no lets roll the dice again......'kin ell
    he was backed by the Board, he can have no complaints on that score. Ultimately he has failed. Too soon for recriminations though, that can wait until tomorrow (later today).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]he was backed by the Board, he can have no complaints on that score. Ultimately he has failed. Too soon for recriminations though, that can wait until tomorrow (later today).

I agree he was backed by the board in respect of wages, alot of which went on the garbage Pardew lumbered him with (see Moo2, Dickson, Fleetwood, Sinclair, McLeod etc.). But in transfer fees he hasn't been backed at all, which I don't want to get angry with the board for seeing as we are screwed financially as it is. But, when you see the players Norwich were able to bring in January for example, he's done a good job to be anywhere near them imo. I'd say the team we had tonight is better than the one we had for most of last season, and that's from what Parky has achieved through only buying one player in 18 months.

Large I know you haven't been his biggest fan through the season, but who do you honestly think could have done better in the circumstances who was available and on similar wages? We've failed I agree on that, but given the shape of our squad a week before the season, I expected a lot worse than he has achieved.

sorry allez les addicks can you please remind me whom Narwich brought in in January and the fees paid, thanks. No-one in the top six spent very much money ie Millwall 130k on Morrison. Parky said last summer that we needed to keep our 'star' players and we did, resulting in a very large wage bill. A wage bill far higher than say Swindons and Millwalls. Maybe we should have flogged Bailey and bought a striker but Parky obviously thought we didn't need one. We held onto Shelvey too and then he didn't use him properly. Parky has been a disaster from the start and the sooner he goes the better in my opinion.

I didn't want to come on tonight and have these type of debates, it's too soon, and I wish I hadn't risen to this one but I've typed it now so sod it ......
  • Options
    If we "flogged" anyone last summer the money would not be put towards another player, it would simply go towards running the club and to pay wages.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

sorry allez les addicks can you please remind me whom Narwich brought in in January and the fees paid, thanks. No-one in the top six spent very much money ie Millwall 130k on Morrison. Parky said last summer that we needed to keep our 'star' players and we did, resulting in a very large wage bill. A wage bill far higher than say Swindons and Millwalls. Maybe we should have flogged Bailey and bought a striker but Parky obviously thought we didn't need one. We held onto Shelvey too and then he didn't use him properly. Parky has been a disaster from the start and the sooner he goes the better in my opinion.

I didn't want to come on tonight and have these type of debates, it's too soon, and I wish I hadn't risen to this one but I've typed it now so sod it ......

Look, people are entitled to their opinions, but a couple of questions for the Parkinson haters?

1] Please tell me the name of another manager who could have done better than Parkinson this season?

2] Who is this 25 goal striker that Parkinson failed to sign?

3] Do you give Parkinson any credit for his successul loanees/freebies like Richardson, Dailly, the two Sodjes, Mooney, Borrowdale, Reid?

4] Who could possibly do a better job than Parkinson next season?
  • Options
    5] The wage bill Parky had was inherited from Pardew.
  • Options
    Ormiston

I do blame him cant help it he had over half a season to emassd enough points but we debated that long and hard on here back then, this season his tactics and formations have been left wanting in key games, his failure to remove players early enough hasd been shocking and his man management of certain situations has been neglegent to say the least, putting on a young kid to face the uproar of the result at millwall when the damage was done and the failure for him to not get the most out of the best talented footballer at the football club (christian Daily said that Jonjo was the best) epitomises why he should not be part of the rebuild that is needed, Leon Mckenzie another, the list could go onb and on

i dont want to use to night as a vehicle on him being removed but i dont think people should forget the errors over the last season and a half that have cost us massively
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Bollocks. Team were amazing tonight but it was a rare phenomenon.

I could have got that set of players promoted.

Super Phil nothing. Got us relegated and failed to win us promotion from division 3.

Cloud cuckoo land some of you live on.
    Oh dear. You could have got those players promoted?

Ormiston is talking sense and sums it up very well.

Some people still overestimate our players, and underestimate this league, and the problems at the club last season.
  • Options
    orms

1 of the sodjes is shocking, mooney played great tonight but i can hardly remember a player who has more divided the opinions of the fans, borrowdale has not been a success, the inablity for players to change the dead balls that they take, did you see the smart free kick taken by swindon in the 1st half when was the last time something on the training ground was tried on the pitch

all of it comes down to the coaching ability of the mgmt team

and his is very bad

I wanted Damien Mathhews in this season i wanted him in because i believed that his experience with the younger players would aid them and if he got the mix right a bit of experience and an elemant of youth we would have enough to consolidate and start the rebuilding process ,

i didnt expect to go up this year, but once he laid his cards out signing senior players not youth he lefty himself above the trench to get shot at.

As for better managers out there

Yep there are loads and if i can be bothered to sit down over the next few days i will list a few
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Ormiston

I do blame him cant help it he had over half a season to emassd enough points but we debated that long and hard on here back then, this season his tactics and formations have been left wanting in key games, his failure to remove players early enough hasd been shocking and his man management of certain situations has been neglegent to say the least, putting on a young kid to face the uproar of the result at millwall when the damage was done and the failure for him to not get the most out of the best talented footballer at the football club (christian Daily said that Jonjo was the best) epitomises why he should not be part of the rebuild that is needed, Leon Mckenzie another, the list could go onb and on

i dont want to use to night as a vehicle on him being removed but i dont think people should forget the errors over the last season and a half that have cost us massively

OK mate, I think we will just have to have differing views on this one.

As for Shelvey, I guess we will see over the next 2-3 years if Parky got it right or not.

You are bang on about Leon McKenzie though!!!
  • Options
    Apologies for not thinking an exit in the 3rd division play off semi final isn't an achievment.

Im obviously not proper charlton.
  • Options
    Not read all this but totally agree with the original post

Picked up the pieces spent fook all as he had fook all to spend got us in the play off semi's

Top man