Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: The Curious Case of Jonjo Shelvey

Comments

• Options
    I don't think Randolph was ever given a fair crack of the whip after his excellent performance at Anfield.
    He made one mistake when McCarthy's head got in the way but other than that, I'd don't remember any others.
  • Options
    At least the club still owns the ground and everyone can say "never again!" to mortgaging our future to pay hundreds of players and agents!

The point made earlier about selling Bowyer (and Mills for that matter) was that the £3/4M was clearly used to both build the squad and stop anyone else having to be sold... the club were on the up... possibly losing money but gates were going up and Curbs let the deadwood go every summer... in other words the squad was hungry...

From what I've seen and what he did at Colchester, Parkinson should be able to turn this around and bring through younger players... pretty soon we will see the end of these 3-400K pa deals for players that can't do it on the pitch... end of the day it's up to the board and manager to ensure that only top top players at the heart of the club's plans get this kinda dosh

We are fortunate to still be looking at the possibility of Championship footy next year and if one player sale keeps us going until the start of next season then great as far as I'm concerned ;)

So hopefully we are not too far from making ends meet and perhaps finding new investment as we, once again, climb up the leagues - optimistic? no just seen the Leeds game and thinking we're on the up again ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]You have to ask yourself what exactly is going on with Mouataokil if he can't find a single other club to take him? Jesus, even Motherwell sent him back so if he is not good enough for Jockball then how bad must he be?

If he is stupid enough to think that sitting on his arse at Charlton and seeing out his four-year deal is a good move for his career then he is getting very bad advice - other potential clubs in the future will not like that one little bit.

You have to assume that the club has tried to agree a settlement with Mouataokil but that he is asking for too much dough.

The fact is that we cannot afford to be paying someone 400,000 per year (if that is what he is on) to be sat in the stands doing nothing.

Thanks again "Super Al."

I don't think Mouataokil not being good enough is the problem. It seems it is his attitude that is the problem and his unpopularity with just about every footballer he's played with. Shame because he's a real talent and had he been more professionally disciplined he would have at least played more games and we could have sole him and made some money off of him.

Once again, Thanks Pardew.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I don't think Mouataokil not being good enough is the problem. It seems it is his attitude that is the problem and his unpopularity with just about every footballer he's played with. Shame because he's a real talent and had he been more professionally disciplined he would have at least played more games and we could have sole him and made some money off of him.

Once again, Thanks Pardew.
    That was one of the things so good about Curbs. He looked at the players character and their ability. It was a problem Dowie as well as Pardew made, and you get the impression Parky doesn't want to make the same mistake.
  • Options
    At least Moutaouakil played a few games - to think that Fleetwood could be on anything like £4k a week on a three-year contract would be a great illustration of how we've got into our current financial situation.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Interesting comments by Steve Wagott and co at the NWK meeting on Wednesday night.

I brought up the question of JJ, and apparently it was the only approach, that had resulted in an actual offer on the table.

All the rumours of Chelsea and others, were a just that!.
    When i pressed both directors, not about why he was sold but the timing ( re Playoffs) I was informed the risk of injury, and the offer being withdrawn was a risk the board could not entertain shall we say!.

I further questioned that this was the case with any footballer!...... And that could a deal not be brokered that allowed him to stay , but only be used in the playoff games!

Apparently Liverpool did not see him play! but bought off the card'. They wanted promising youngsters and JJ fitted the bill. Little money is to actually be paid except the VAT at this stage and the overwhelming consensus seemed to be that this was the only deal in town!. Take it or leave!...... The board decided unanamiously to accept it.

Others though that it was 'good business' and that JJ had been a fringe player anyway. That is there view, as I stated i thought he was the most promising youngster since Bowyer, but supporters claimed that in the case of Reid and Parker, it is almost impossible to keep a player focused on his present team when the big money is waved, and the glamorous clubs bang on the door!. Apparently the deal with JJ was not just about the cash , there was a genuine belief that youngsters would be coming this way!. When I again mentioned that this signalled a negative message in the same way when Reid left, apparently he wanted to go, and the lure of the club and money again were the determining factors.

I think it is fair to say that I was still not convinced by the actual detail of the departure. They were, as were the board, and other fellow fans also supported the money on the table deal!

As a new boy, this was my first attendance as a member, and having already supplemented the original question on at least three occassions I am afraid that JJ was gonna go, I felt it could have been negotiated differently, they disagreed!.

As I say it was, the only deal on the table, had been the only deal, and the board felt it had really no 'choice', except not sell him, something they were obviously not prepared to consider due to the financial position the club was in!

As I stated felt in a minority of one!. Hope this is not bad form to discuss details on this forum, but as fan's I see no issue with answering questions, and in fairness I did get answers!
  • Options
    Thanks for that Ken.

Was there anything else said about the fee or clauses? In the SLP website Murray said it was £3m, everywhere else it was £1.7m.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Little money is to actually be paid except the VAT at this stage

So why exactly was it so important we sell him, if were not even getting the money now?!?!
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]
    Apparently Liverpool did not see him play! but bought off the card

All worrying stuff really, especially if it's true that this was the only offer we've ever received for JJ, seems to me we was bullied into a corner, not sure why though as we don't seem to have gained anything at all from this deal..... ah well, im sure it's all part of parkys master plan.
  • Options
    Why do you hide a "jewel" rather than put it in the shop window? Unless you're being told by the Manager that the "jewel" is a flawed one and it would be better to get what we can now. Or is this a "loss leader" for the promise of better than League 1/Championship on loan players in return?

All specualtion but some questions do clearly need answering.
  • Options
    still goes down on the balance sheet, but I guess we assume cash flow itself is not an issue
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for that Ken.

Was there anything else said about the fee or clauses? In the SLP website Murray said it was £3m, everywhere else it was £1.7m.

Initially £1.7m then add ons under 21 appearences, England etc. I should imagine pretty much standard stuff for a young player, which will 'cascade' into Charlton if /when he does make appearances etc.
  • Options
    Going out on loan - according to various sites including BBC rumours.  As good as he is - could he get into the current side?  I somehow doubt it (probably go to a championship side anyway).
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    brum would seem most likely
  • Options
    I'm sure they'd want a Championship side if the purpose is to develop him as a 1st teamer. 
  • Options
    Love to see him develop under CP, having seen what's happened to Jenkinson, Solly and to a lesser extent Waggy since Powell arrived. Think he could slot nicely into to the Stephens role if needed.
  • Options
    He might end up at the Hammers
  • Options

Yeah I think he could, quite easily, slot into a Championship team.

• Options
    At the very least the Championship. If you can stroll around the Napoli pitch as if you own it, you are already long past a trip to Hartlepool
  • Options
    MIA.
  • Options
    Ask Uncle,he'll know.......Uncle? Uncle? Where for art thou????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ask Uncle,he'll know.......Uncle? Uncle? Where for art thou????
    not been on here since about july. We have nothing for him now. Probably trolling the LFC sites now.

Can't say I miss his biased views on his nephew. Always ready to jump down the throat of anyone who dared critisize him, even if justified.
  • Options
    He could even do well for some Premier League sides
  • Options
    Is criticism of your comment justified tango?
  • Options
    I honestly would not put him in our team at the moment (why would you?).  Still think there are slight doubts whether he can operate in a midfield two.

No doubt is going to go on and play at a higher level (and indeed has) than arguably all of our current squad, but I don't see him fitting into our setup at this point in time.
  • Options
    Is criticism of your comment justified tango?
    Just an observation made whenever anyone said anything other than "We love Jonjo" he was ready to strike them down. Some of the points made were valid ones.

If my son or nephew were to play for this club and have a stinker or do something stupid and you guys moaned about him doing that, then I wouldn't defend his actions and would be the first to say he's not played well or acted stupidly.

One instance that sticks out was when his mate posted some pics (?) on his twitter or face book last season. Some people here commented on how stupid he was for not securing his phone or laptop. He turned on anyone who wasn't still singing "jonjo is god".

Besides, he's wet spam.
  • Options
    You never been facebook raped? Either way digging someone out when he's not here to defend himself is a bit cheap IMHO ...
  • Options
    You never been facebook raped? Either way digging someone out when he's not here to defend himself is a bit cheap IMHO ...
    Dig the thread up and read what he said. I can't be bothered to. As for "digging out someone who's not here to defend himself...........why's he not here? cos he's a happy hammer who came here to bask in the glory of his brothers kid.

No, I've never been raped or hacked as I secure my passwords, even on my phone.
  • Options
    i agree with @tangoflash big time on this. Uncle jumped on me when i mentioned that just before it was announced Shelvey was moving to Liverpool that he'd been heard saying in Office shoe shop in Lakeside (my arsenal supporting friend worked there) saying he didnt want to go to Exeter away. Well Uncle jumped straight on to me and near enough accused me of taking the mick out of essex people. So i DM'd him apologising if it came across that way to no reply.
  • Options
    We're talking about where shelvey might go and you use the chance to have a pop at him(uncle) when he's not here ... Sounds like he got right under your skin mate ... And of course if you want to dig him out behind his back feel free .. Just not my style is all ...
  • Options
    @mascot88 Not exactly having a pop, im sure @Uncle will be reading this soon.