Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky: We had to do Liverpool deal now

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8128490.Parky__We_had_to_do_Liverpool_deal_now/

Comments

• Options
    “It protects people’s jobs in and around the training ground and The Valley and it is an important influx of money.

“That’s it, you just move on.”

This is the clincher for me. We have to think of the bigger picture. I would love to have had Shelvey at the club for the future...but we cant afford to say no to the money. Sad state of affairs really.
  • Options
    he hasnt mentioned how they managed to do all this outside the transfer window?
  • Options
    The question that I'd like him to answer is "why did you choose not to play him since xmas". Not that it matters anymore!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]“It protects people’s jobs in and around the training ground and The Valley and it is an important influx of money.

This is the clincher for me. We have to think of the bigger picture. I would love to have had Shelvey at the club for the future...but we cant afford to say no to the money. Sad state of affairs really.

bit late for those who lost their jobs last year. why not take it then?
  • Options
    "The chairman and the board are all Charlton fans, they desperately want to do what is best for the club and they feel what is best for the club is to get this deal done to protect the club going forward financially." - sums it up perfectly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]“It protects people’s jobs in and around the training ground and The Valley and it is an important influx of money.

The directors had £7m to pump into the club last year. We arent gonna have that this summer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]he hasnt mentioned how they managed to do all this outside the transfer window?

He can't play for them though, much like when we signed Dickson and Hreidarsson outside the window (think Murray gave them as examples on the OS)
  • Options
    ok, was unsure how they got around that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

The directors had £7m to pump into the club last year. We arent gonna have that this summer.

why not say that then. he knows how many people lost their jobs last year (including my fiancee) when that offer was on the table.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

And jobs around the training ground would be even more secure if we were back in the Championship, which we'd have a better chance of reaching with Jonjo playing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If there is any negativity from our supporters or anyone, then let’s get it out of the way so we can move on to what is a not only a pivotal time in the season but also the club’s history.

Well said Parky.

This next month might be the difference between keeping afloat or going into administration
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]why not say that then. he knows how many people lost their jobs last year (including my fiancee) when that offer was on the table.
    Which offer was that then Les?
  • Options
    Whatever you think about Parky's tactical or managerial abilities he really does has the clubs best interests at heart.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]

And jobs around the training ground would be even more secure if we were back in the Championship, which we'd have a better chance of reaching with Jonjo playing.

Perhaps we needed the money to pay the April/May wages, hence we couldn't wait til the end of the season.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else is about the timing, but I'd like to think the board wouldn't have done this unless they absolutely had to - and from what Parky and Murray are saying they couldn't take this risk on this offer not being on the table in 6 weeks time.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    shouldn't that headline say:

Firesale starts here!

(sorry couldn't resist)

puts the team under huge pressure to get promoted, but I guess them's the facts and live with it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]why not say that then. he knows how many people lost their jobs last year (including my fiancee) when that offer was on the table.
    Which offer was that then Les?

i thought chelsea made an offer? if i'm wrong i'll concede it but comments about people's jobs at the club don't sit well with me after last year, especially the way Suz's was dealt with by certain individuals.

His comments touched a nerve, i guess.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

Perhaps we needed the money to pay the April/May wages, hence we couldn't wait til the end of the season.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else is about the timing, but I'd like to think the board wouldn't have done this unless they absolutely had to - and from what Parky and Murray are saying they couldn't take this risk on this offer not being on the table in 6 weeks time.

What Dabos said.

[cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

why not say that then. he knows how many people lost their jobs last year (including my fiancee) when that offer was on the table.

Not entirely sure there was one last year!?...Chelsea were interested but i dunno if there was an actual offer.
  • Options
    Sorry Les just seen your reply before i posted mine.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    puts the team under huge pressure to get promoted, but I guess them's the facts and live with it.

Fair point but they've been under that pressure all season as we've been one of the favourites from day one.
  • Options
    Think any club at this level has to accept any offers of sums like that. Not many teams can afford to turn that kinda dough down!

Plus you have to start taking into account that your team earn higher wages than most in division 3, your gate revenues have dropped this season and will probably drop again next season, there is less money from tv deals and the running costs of your big stadium will start to eat a bigger slice of your revenues. Add to that your Academy, which very few clubs at this level have (we had to revert back to a school of excellence because of costs and losing all our best talent to premier teams) and you are going to be in a tight financial position and perhaps the board had to cash in on their most valuable asset.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]your gate revenues have dropped this season and will probably drop again next season

Fair point. I wonder how much influence the season ticket sales figures had on the board's decision.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite] losing all our best talent to premier teams

Who's that then? Cherno Samba?
  • Options

I don't doubt that the board had little option. But their hand was forced by Parky's previous actions,

A: by the fact that automatic promotion is now highly unlikely

And more importantly

B: Because Jonjo had had enough of sitting on the bench and getting little action.

For the last 4 -5 months we have played poor football. We have failed miserably to break down fairly average teams at the Valley hence all the costly 1-1 draws. We have desperately needed someone to make the killer pass, or shot from outside the area or free kick. Jonjo was the one player capable of delivering, but Parky refused to play him. Uncle has already said on the other thread that Jonjo would have been happy to stay longer if he was playing. So it's Parky that has caused this situation to happen, not Jonjo and not the board.
    But Parky seems to be taking little responsibility, instead saying that it was the boards choice. He left them with no choice!!
  • Options
    More Parky reaction on sale added just now, including why he hardly played him for the last six months and have those pesky Kopites got Shelvey on the cheap

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8128490.Parky__We_had_to_do_Liverpool_deal_now/
  • Options
    The reason why good people at the club have lost their jobs and will continue to do so is because the coaches and players past and present have not done their jobs very well for the last four seasons.
  • Options

I don't doubt that the board had little option. But their hand was forced by Parky's previous actions,

A: by the fact that automatic promotion is now highly unlikely

And more importantly

B: Because Jonjo had had enough of sitting on the bench and getting little action.

For the last 4 -5 months we have played poor football. We have failed miserably to break down fairly average teams at the Valley hence all the costly 1-1 draws. We have desperately needed someone to make the killer pass, or shot from outside the area or free kick. Jonjo was the one player capable of delivering, but Parky refused to play him. Uncle has already said on the other thread that Jonjo would have been happy to stay longer if he was playing. So it's Parky that has caused this situation to happen, not Jonjo and not the board.
    But Parky seems to be taking little responsibility, instead saying that it was the boards choice. He left them with no choice!![/
    quote]

spot on nail on head post QA

As i said in the Shelvey Thread

Him moving has saved us from Admin in my opinion, The board did not force the move nor did they try to stop it,

Because the reasons said above
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite] losing all our best talent to premier teams

Who's that then? Cherno Samba?

No.

David Amoo to Liverpool.
    Then 3 others were taken last year or the year before by Chelsea & Portsmouth.
    Craig Eastmond was pinched by Arsenal as a kid too.
  • Options
    Shelvey has struggled for first team opportunities at Charlton in the last six months but Parkinson denied that had been with a potential move in mind.
    He said: “Not really, no. I actually felt he had lost his way slightly and I just pulled him out of the team.

When we are playing are a certain system obviously he is suited that way.

“It wasn’t that he was losing his way and we were worried about it, he was losing his way and he was only 18.

“He is only a kid and it is very rare for players at that age to play a full season.

“They do have times when they need to be pulled out of the firing line and that is all that happened with Jonjo.”

Someones telling porkies and i know who i believe
  • Options
    Shelvey has struggled for first team opportunities at Charlton in the last six months but Parkinson denied that had been with a potential move in mind.

He said: “Not really, no. I actually felt he had lost his way slightly and I just pulled him out of the team.

“When we are playing are a certain system obviously he is suited that way.

“It wasn’t that he was losing his way and we were worried about it, he was losing his way and he was only 18.

“He is only a kid and it is very rare for players at that age to play a full season.

“They do have times when they need to be pulled out of the firing line and that is all that happened with Jonjo.”

Given our form over the past months, that quote from Parky is a complete joke.
  • Options
    Yes, you and steve believe uncle. We all know by now!

We'll wait patiently till May 10th for it to be all revealed.