Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Leeds - Poll, Views, News

WSSWSS
edited April 2010 in General Charlton
A dead rubber game for us or one that we need to win to maintain momentum?

Of course automatic promotion is not completely out of the question (stop laughing at the back) but we have to be realistic and think we are heading for an end of season 3 game (hopefully) bonanza.

If anything, a win against Leeds will go someway to wash away some of the negativity that is bound to be flitting about The Valley post-Shelvey. I’m still of the mind that if we beat Leeds we will go into the playoffs with a head of steam and if Leeds screw up autos we stand a better chance.

With Sasodge a major doubt we will probably see Big Mig come into the centre of defence while the rest of the back 5 will remain the same. The midfield is an interesting one, do we conservatively rest players with one eye on the players or not. I’d bring Shelvey Reid back into the team and maybe even chuck in Spring despite his lack of games to protect some players. I can see us going two up top with Mooney and Burton, in my opinion, the most likely to start.

My team is: Randolph, Frazer, The Borrower, Christian, Big Mig, Waggy, Spring, Racon, Reid, Burton, Mooney. Subs: Elliot, Fry, Solly, Forster, Bailey, Semedo, Sam.

I know it seems a bit out there, but I think everyone needs some game time as we may need to be calling upon them very soon in some critical moments of games.

Who knows, we may pull off a 2-0 win and Millwall and Swindon may lose. It could get interesting (although still improbable) once again.

Let’s not let the crowd get on anyone’s back regarding the Shelvey sale or anything like that while the guys on the pitch on playing – we need to stick together for the next 2/4/5 (delete as applicable).

Last home league game of the season. We’ve had a couple of memorable ones the past two seasons despite how the season ended let’s make it three on the trot but hopefully with a more positive season ending.

Come on you Reds.

Comments

• Options
    Same team as Exeter but with Reid getting down the wing and getting crosses is for Deon & Nicky.

I'm not viewing it as dead rubber, i would love it if we beat them [love it]
  • Options
    I think we'll win, don't know why I just have a feeling. I'd like to see McKenzie get a run as he really seemed raring to go at the dinner Tuesday night.
  • Options
    Not sure about our result just find it funny that the spanners are more worried about us beating Leeds than them beating Tranmere.

I see Millwall losing and Leeds celebrating win, lose or draw.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Can't see us throwing Spring in and probably not Wagstaff. Whether playing our strongest team is a good idea we'll know later on.

Think we'll see Burton and Forster up front together, surely they need playing time together.

Would like Reid to start, but is he fit yet? That would mean dropping one of Racon or Bailey.

I think Parky will go with the same team as last week, with Llera in for the injured Sodje.

Result? Not sure, probably a 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Not sure about our result just find it funny that the spanners are more worried about us beating Leeds than them beating Tranmere.

Why would they celebrate a loss even if Millwall lose...?
  • Options
    Im not too confident in fairness, put draw but can see either side nicking it
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see how the players will react to the Shelvey sale, although I'm assuming they would have known about if for some time.

I expect Leeds to be nervous and am hoping we will play a more open game now that we have nothing to play for (realistically) in these final two games.

I would like to see a 4-4-2 of:

Elliot, the usual back four, and a midfield of Sam, Bailey, Semedo and Reid with Burton and Mooney up front.
  • Options
    Is Forster injured or something? Can't see how people would have Mooney ahead of him..?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Im not too confident in fairness, put draw but can see either side nicking it

Bold prediction there Jonathan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Not sure about our result just find it funny that the spanners are more worried about us beating Leeds than them beating Tranmere.

Why would they celebrate a loss even if Millwall lose...?

I think celebrate is a bit much, but they'd be pretty happy because then promotion would still be in their own hands on the last day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If us, Hudders & Tranmere win, with Swindon drawing with Brentford [nailed on]

The table would look like;

Leeds 83
    Millwall 82
    Charlton 81
    Huddersfield 80
    Swindon 80

That would be some final day with Millwall facing Swindon. But sadly our goal difference would ultimately let us down.
  • Options
    JT, if Leeds are still 2nd on Saturday night they will be happy enough.
  • Options
    Draw is most likely but if Leeds get in front I can`t see us getting back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Elliot, the usual back four, and a midfield of Sam, Bailey, Semedo and Reid with Burton and Mooney up front.

yep we've missed elliot and the defence has been well leaky ....

although i'm not too fussed about form bollox or who we get in the play offs or where the second leg is , it's all about who performs in the 3 play off matches ...
    so i suggest we bring in our pony players and rest the good uns and lose and give ourselves a chance of the sweetest revenge possible....
    draw for me tho , so no good all round
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Elliot, the usual back four, and a midfield of Sam, Bailey, Semedo and Reid with Burton and Mooney up front.

yep we've missed elliot and the defence has been well leaky ....

although i'm not too fussed about form bollox or who we get in the play offs or where the second leg is , it's all about who performs in the 3 play off matches ...
    so i suggest we bring in our pony players and rest the good uns and lose and give ourselves a chance of the sweetest revenge possible....
    draw for me tho , so no good all round

I think the strength of the defence is down to back four and it is no coincidence that we have kept more clean sheets since Borrowdale has been in the side. I like Randolph and think he is a good goalkeeper and so is Elliot. I just think Elliot has the edge on Randolph in terms of his distribution of the ball and starting attacks for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]JT, if Leeds are still 2nd on Saturday night they will be happy enough.

Most will yeah, but the realists will be sh*tting themselves!
  • Options
    distribution i agree on
    but randy is a better goalkeeper than play maker
    and we need a better shot stopper and that's what we've got with randy , now every shot from outside the box doesn't look like trouble!
    they're both suspect in the air and they don't command the box (and just outside it) too well but randy deserves a 50 game run like robbie and then we'll be in a better position to judge but atm randy is proving to be a much better keeper imho.... 4 goals conceded in 7.5 games says it all
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Im not too confident in fairness, put draw but can see either side nicking it

Bold prediction there Jonathan.

Yeah i know not sitting on the fence at all lol, i really couldn't call it

[cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Is Forster injured or something? Can't see how people would have Mooney ahead of him..?

I was thinking that? or maybe they think resting him so he's fresh for play offs, although i would prefer he plays and maybe bring him of last 20 mins if thats the case and then rest at oldham
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]distribution i agree on
    but randy is a better goalkeeper than play maker
    and we need a better shot stopper and that's what we've got with randy , now every shot from outside the box doesn't look like trouble!
    they're both suspect in the air and they don't command the box (and just outside it) too well but randy deserves a 50 game run like robbie and then we'll be in a better position to judge but atm randy is proving to be a much better keeper imho.... 4 goals conceded in 7.5 games says it all

I think Elliot catches the ball better and more often, which is better than punching it back to the opposition in my opinion. I really don't think there's anything between them in terms of shot stopping. All about opinions though and I do rate Randolph and am happy to see him continue in goal.
  • Options
    Can`t see any reason to drop Randolph at the moment. He has the shirt and should keep it until he does something that deserves him getting dropped.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Draw is most likely but if Leeds get in front I can`t see us getting back.

I read on WACCOE that in something like 26 games when Leeds have scored first this season they have won 22 and drawn 4. So i'd definitely agree the first goal is vital.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Can`t see any reason to drop Randolph at the moment. He has the shirt and should keep it until he does something that deserves him getting dropped.

I agree with this, although i do think Elliot is slightly better keeper all around (no fat jokes)

+I personally think that Elliot is also a good shot stopper and they are pretty much equal there
    +Elliott is better at distrubution
    +Neither command the area from crosses, but maybe randy a bit more so
    +Communication pretty much depends who they playing with but elliott did have a couple problems eg. Llera & cant remember other one
    +Both similar age

But for now Randolph has done nothing wrong from what i have heard/seen so would stick with him as he deserves his chance to show us what he can do
  • Options
    I think we'll win, will be just like us to do so when it's too late for the autos, but we need to go into the play-offs in good form. Can see Millwall winning at Tranmere and then beating Swindon for second spot. Also, if we face Leeds in the play-offs it could be physcological if we have just recently beaten them and they wouldn't relish another return so soon to The Valley. Whatever happens I think it'll be a cracking game. My team :

Randy, Fraser, Miguel, Dailly, Borrowdale, Waggy/Sam, Semedo, Bailey, Reid, Burton, Forster.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Can`t see any reason to drop Randolph at the moment. He has the shirt and should keep it until he does something that deserves him getting dropped.

spot on, at the moment Randy looks a better keeper to me
  • Options
    Yeah exactly that.

Randolph to me has always looked like a slightly better shot stopper. Of course Elliot's a decent shot stopper, any goalkeeper at this level playing regularly should be. Randolph just makes saves at times that you wonder if Elliot would reach them.

Elliot's throwing has looked better, but that might be something Randolph gets more confidence by playing more games.
  • Options
    I reckon a draw which does no-one any favours but Millwall!

Would drop Racon and put Bailey in the centre and Reid out left. Go all out for the win as we have nothing to lose.
  • Options
    Up at Elland Road, Spring did a great job in the middle and I was surprised he didn't get a good run in the team from there. I'd like to see Spring involved (but there's no chance).

Reid needs to start this one (dropping Bailey - unfit and and below par performances) - Lets get at 'em from the off down the wings, using wing play and Llera's lovely long balls (nice). Wagstaff can come on for his usual cameo when Reid gets tired.

My starting team:

Randolph
    Richardson/Dailly/Llera/Borrowdale
    Sam/Racon/Semedo/Reid
    Forster/Burton
  • Options
    Team should relax and enjoy the afternoon infront a big crowd. Leeds will be nervous as they will be depserate to avoid the play-offs. Can see us winning this 1 zip.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Up at Elland Road, Spring did a great job in the middle and I was surprised he didn't get a good run in the team from there. I'd like to see Spring involved (but there's no chance).

Reid needs to start this one (dropping Bailey - unfit and and below par performances) - Lets get at 'em from the off down the wings, using wing play and Llera's lovely long balls (nice). Wagstaff can come on for his usual cameo when Reid gets tired.

My starting team:

Randolph
    Richardson/Dailly/Llera/Borrowdale
    Sam/Racon/Semedo/Reid
    Forster/Burton

I'd agree with that bar bailey, these are the games he will be up for and could make the difference so drop Racon for him as he has been below par for far too long to stay in the side. if he wasn't practically sold i would put shelvey instead of bailey but he is so...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]...

If Bailey were on form right now I wouldn't even suggest his exclusion BUT... he is not a positive at the moment - hes a negative and we need positives on Saturday.

I'd like to see us play a wide game and get plenty of crosses in the box, not play down the middle to such a strong Leeds back line. We used the wings really well up at Elland Road and should repeat those tactics again.