Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Weller a sad demise

It's maybe that I've seen Steve Marriot live that I never was overly impressed with the voices of his contemparies, Paul Weller being the most obvious...not knocking his songs, some great original thinking and musicality behind them. We all know that Later with Jools Holland is a musical lottery but just recently it's becoming a graveyard. Last week I heard him announce Paul Weller and "in Jools own words" his great new single. It wasnt great...limited in scale and immagination mainly because poor old Pauls voice is done for. Now I'm sure there are many out there that will buy the single and the album out of loyalty...It's just very saddening when a singer attempts to go on when the voice is gone. I have many musical heroes but I wouldnt buy a CD of my hero / heroine singing out of tune just out of loyalty. This is not a pop at Paul...I like him very much as a person.

Comments

• Options
    Music like food is all about opinnion though is it not mate?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes it is, but if your fish was off you wouldnt eat it. Plus I think youve missed the point in that he cannot write the quality of song that he did years ago as he hasnt got the vocal range anymore. As a writer I can assure you It's nigh impossible to create a dynamic song if you are restricted to a small range...excepting Rap of course where no range at all is needed. It really upset me to hear him singing so out of tune, I had to switch off the TV.

The bottom line is...if it's out of tune it's not music.
  • Options
    Some of his latest stuff has got good reviews although I am not a massive fan.

Speaking of dodgy voices, looks like the crack pipe isnt too good for a decent high note these days eh Whitney.
  • Options
    Haha true very true. I mean i dont know enough about music to judge to be honest but it sounds as though its really disapointed you :-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]Yes it is, but if your fish was off you wouldnt eat it. Plus I think youve missed the point in that he cannot write the quality of song that he did years ago as he hasnt got the vocal range anymore. As a writer I can assure you It's nigh impossible to create a dynamic song if you are restricted to a small range...excepting Rap of course where no range at all is needed. It really upset me to hear him singing so out of tune, I had to switch off the TV.

The bottom line is...if it's out of tune it's not music.

I see what your saying now cool. So would that mean in your opinion that rap music is not music cos granted they cannot sing and anyone can learn to rap given the time (even i have done a little bit lol) but there is till the beat to think off mind you i dont spose that takes to much talent either.
  • Options
    Weller was stunning with The Jam, I saw them 3 or 4 times and live they were one of the best. And some of their singles are absolute classics. Even some of the lesser known stuff like 'Life from a Window' was brilliant.

With a few decent exceptions, I've never been a fan of his since he went solo. But it can't be denied that he has been a massive influence for many others.
  • Options
    Thank you Southend...Whitney is a perfect parralel...both her and Paul use a gloteral onset which basically destroys your vocal folds. Unfortuneately this is the only way many singers can sing so they know in advance their voice will not last. In contrast if you sing from the diaphram (opera singers) you can carry on indefineately.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    RU 1986

It may seem I'm being a little contrary but Rap can do it for me too, although I'm a very old fart. I write for a studio that does only Rap, hip hop. They give me a basic loop and I find a melody. Mrs Windscreen sings the melody and then the boys interpret it as they wish, and yes the results can be quite stunning, but the trick is to initially have a good melody line to contrast with the rapping...in saying this I really can't be doing with Rap only stuff.
  • Options
    Agree Stonemuse...Jam live were magic.
  • Options
    Style Council were great too. Some of his best stuff he wrote for them.

Jam live were special and saw them loads of times.

His voice was never that great so no great loss. It's the song writing that lets him down now. His voice is not much worse than it ever was IMHO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2010
    I disagree Henry..I thought he used to sing great live...did you see him on Jools Holland?
    The main reason the songs are not so good is that hes probably lost 6 notes off the top of his range...Example being the songs I used to write for my own voice 2 octaves, are nowhere as good as the ones I write for Mrs Windscreen 3 octaves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]I disagree Henry..I thought he used to sing great live...did you see him on Jools Holland?

No but did I ever tell you about the time me and Paul were in the studio back in 79 and..... (Come on Mr Irving, time for your medication)
  • Options
    That particular episode of Jools Holland was so depressing, I only really liked Polar Bear. Marina and the Diamonds were so boring, nursery rhyme type chord progressions, played only using octaves on keyboards... *yawn*
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Style Council were great too. Some of his best stuff he wrote for them.

His voice was never that great so no great loss. It's the song writing that lets him down now. His voice is not much worse than it ever was IMHO

I understand where you're coming from Henry, but for instance check out the song that I mentioned 'Life from a Window' (it's on 'This is the Modern World') ... lot of emotion in that and his voice is good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]RU 1986

It may seem I'm being a little contrary but Rap can do it for me too, although I'm a very old fart. I write for a studio that does only Rap, hip hop. They give me a basic loop and I find a melody. Mrs Windscreen sings the melody and then the boys interpret it as they wish, and yes the results can be quite stunning, but the trick is to initially have a good melody line to contrast with the rapping...in saying this I really can't be doing with Rap only stuff.

Thats really cool were are you based as i might come along for a session and trying some of my own lyrics with a mate or two if that would be cool or is it just for business needs. Sorry if i have the wrong end of the stick mate but it sounds pretty cool.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Style Council were great too. Some of his best stuff he wrote for them.

I understand where you're coming from Henry, but for instance check out the song that I mentioned 'Life from a Window' (it's on 'This is the Modern World') ... lot of emotion in that and his voice is good.

Yes lots of emotion and a very good singer. Just not a great voice.

Still in the spirit of '77 I'd rather have an 100 Wellers or Braggs with some feeling and something to say over a technically good but bland Michael Bolton or Charlotte Church.
  • Options
    Still in the spirit of '77 I'd rather have an 100 Wellers or Braggs with some feeling and something to say over a technically good but bland Michael Bolton or Charlotte Church.

LOL, that's for sure
  • Options
    Planty...that made me mad also. Me and Mrs.Windscreen rip our souls out to produce intricate beautiful orchestral songs, and believe you me she can sing quite well. But could we ever get on Later with Jules Holland...no, I don't think so!
  • Options
    I admit to being a massive Weller fan since the Jam days. This latest offering is not his best at all. The second disc (in the deluxe edition) is a far better set of tunes with others interpreting Weller's originals.

I thought 22 Dreams was over rated as well. Too many tracks sounded like something else and obviously the people who raved about the album had not heard the songs which PW had borrowed from.

That said, he still looks good kicks up a storm live.
  • Options
    RU86

Always up for some musical times with whoever, especially CL's. We are in Tottenham but you have to know that this is our full time accupation so we have to run a tight ship time wise as we are always working to deadlines. I dont write loops myself so I'd be of little use to you in that way, but sure come and visit us and you'll see that song writing is like any other job...like bloody hard work. Gone are the days when you could sit in your squat smoking a spliff and get a number one lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i unfortunately never saw the jam or style council, though loved them both. i quite like stanley road and wildwood but i do think he's beginning to look a bit comical with that haircut and fake tan and do sometimes think he should retire gracefully, before destroying the near legend he is in my opinion.he did produce some brilliant music.
  • Options
    But when you come up with pieces that you truly are happy with, and others enjoy them as well, nothing beats it! I imagine working as couple is a lot of good fun! I really disliked writing as part of my old band, but haven't quite got the confidence to write on my own yet. I think when my old band's publishing contract comes to an end next month, I may feel a bit more enthusiastic starting afresh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Planty_The_Addick[/cite]But when you come up with pieces that you truly are happy with, and others enjoy them as well, nothing beats it! I imagine working as couple is a lot of good fun! I really disliked writing as part of my old band, but haven't quite got the confidence to write on my own yet. I think when my old band's publishing contract comes to an end next month, I may feel a bit more enthusiastic starting afresh.

who did you play with anyone we might know?
  • Options
    I once sat in a squat in Stratford East London, smoking a spliff & ended up having to have a massive number 2...(!)
  • Options
    Nope i highly doubt it! We weren't very good! :D
  • Options
    Thanks god music is not just about 'singing'. The fact that most people think that music is all about singing is the reason that The X factor and such banal shows take off. How many times do DJ's start talking over a solo as soon as some latest greatest stops singing!!
    Weller happens to be a quality musician and songwriter.
    Hendrix was not blessed with a good singing voice neither was Bob Zimmerman.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]I once sat in a squat in Stratford East London, smoking a spliff & ended up having to have a massive number 2...(!)

I see.
  • Options
    I loved the Jam and also enjoyed the Style Council- but not quite as much as the Jam.
    With every album Weller has made since then, I've enjoyed them a little less.
    He is becoming a parody of himself now.
    All that modfather nonsense is a little tiresome.
    If a new band came out with his stuff I wouldn't give them a sniff of a listen but somehow when Weller brings out something new I feel I have to check it out.
    The new album is 'ok' at best.
    His earlier work knocked my socks off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Thanks god music is not just about 'singing'. The fact that most people think that music is all about singing is the reason that The X factor and such banal shows take off. How many times do DJ's start talking over a solo as soon as some latest greatest stops singing!!
    Weller happens to be a quality musician and songwriter.
    Hendrix was not blessed with a good singing voice neither was Bob Zimmerman.

agree but then again I think Hal David is the genius not Burt Baccarach
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I personally think Wild Wood is his finest work, I loved it so much I brought the songbook and learned every song on acoustic guitar.

I agree with the mood of this topic and haven't brought the new album because the last few have been full of filler, only a few good songs on each.