Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Up and Coming Bands...

Just booked up to see The Twang at ICA on 7th March.

Got good reviews in various tabloids and NME today plus my mate might be signing them for his record label tonight so possible back stage antics.

Anybody seen any decent small bands recently, other than Lucky Soul? :)

Comments

• Options
    The Twang sound like they've been frozen in time from about 15 years ago. Their lyrics make me smile, though.

Was doing a Myspace trawl for new bands lately, loved the sound of Los Campesinos! and Sky Larkin, would like to see them live.

The two bands that supported L***y S**l on New Years Eve were bloody good too - Napoleon are very twee Swedes who make ace pop music (and they're all staggeringly good-looking too, even the men, the swines) and Grantura are a really good country-influenced South London band.
  • Options
    Err, Lucky Soul?

Well the two bands who supported Lucky Soul on NYE are quality,Grantura who are country/scouse/indie, sound a bit like the Coral, and I really like them.

Then there is Napoleon a Swedish 11 piece 70's style soul band, guitarist who looks like a mix of Chris Kamara and Prince, a lead singer like Johny Borell, and two of the foxiest backing singers you'll ever see.

Oh and did I mention Lucky Soul, single out on Monday?
  • Options
    that's uncanny, that.
  • Options
    Yeah weird, must be the flu I've got
  • Options
    My mate at the record label went to Sweden with Lucky Soul a few weeks ago, still hasnt signed them yet I dont think.

They had a good review in one of those freebie London Papers the other week.

Reading NME today all the up and coming bands are supposedly heavily influenced by Oasis, Roses, Mondays, Scream etc.

We might have another proper Britpop era if they are all theyre cracked up to be.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Saw The Shortwave Set before Christmas at the Montague Arms, they're not exactly new but they've got new stuff coming out soon, and their support Fanfarlo were bloody good too.

There's also The Klaxons and more stuff here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]
    We might have another proper Britpop era if they are all theyre cracked up to be.

I hope not, it'll make me feel really old, and even though I was really into all that mid-90s Britpop stuff, I prefer my memories left untouched! But it's a good time for new bands of all sorts right now, I think.
  • Options
    Klaxons is that new rave stuff isnt it?

Not sure about that to be honest, I think I have freebie tickets for one of those new rave NME nights headlined by The Klaxons but have a baby due at the same time so will have to give it a swerve.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Klaxons is that new rave stuff isnt it?

Not sure about that to be honest, I think I have freebie tickets for one of those new rave NME nights headlined by The Klaxons but have a baby due at the same time so will have to give it a swerve.

Yup, that's the label the bloody NME's slapped on them. Like the sound of them, though, even though they'll probably now get too big too quickly.
  • Options
    All new rock music is rubbish. We have enough pop music now so the record companies should just stop and let us catch up with all the old stuff. Go into Tower or Virgin and miles on miles of CDs. Never have to make any more music.

Rock music ended in about 1979. Nothing freshsince Two-Tone and even that was derivative.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heh, you should come out to a Northern Soul night with me tonight, Henry!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Heh, you should come out to a Northern Soul night with me tonight, Henry!

You bring the talc and I'll bring the uppers. Would love to see you doing some backdrops and flips.

Instead I've got to go to some posh resturant in Sevenoaks and be wined and dined by the local Addicks. It's a hard job but someones got to do it.
  • Options
    On another topic, Glastonbury is rumoured to have 25,000 extra tickets this year.

Woo hoo, we might even all get one for a stag do.
  • Options
    Klaxons always sound better with a decent remix
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]On another topic, Glastonbury is rumoured to have 25,000 extra tickets this year.

Woo hoo, we might even all get one for a stag do.

you gotta register in february if you want to get a ticket, its free, but pics are going to be on tickets this year!

can't wait, dusted off some pics on my pc yesterday and got soooo excited just looking at them!
  • Options
    How long are Lucky Soul going to be an 'up and coming band' ?

haven't they been in this category for about 5 years ???

never seen them, would like to as they sound up my street
  • Options
    They're next playing live at the Luminaire in Kilburn on 24 February, after the West Ham match.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]How long are Lucky Soul going to be an 'up and coming band' ?

haven't they been in this category for about 5 years ???

never seen them, would like to as they sound up my street

only been together about 3 years, and current line up (minus keyboard player) have been together for under 2 years.
    i'll buy you a copy of their ep out monday and you can give it a listen. (or get on to their website and download their songs onto your ipod?)
  • Options
    The two bands that supported L***y S**l on New Years Eve were bloody good too - [url=

for some odd reason i thought this was Lily Allen or Lily Savage..........I really must stop drinking the oranic green tea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'How long are Lucky Soul going to be an 'up and coming band' ?'

Perhaps Lisbie could sue em for copyright?
  • Options
    The Low Sparks

http://www.myspace.com/lowsparks

Best band in South London
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Shameless plug of the missus' brothers band (who's an addick), JohnJoy.
    Their first single, lack of confidence, is out on monday 22nd from itunes.

http://www.johnjoymusic.com/

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=34417032
  • Options
    the alps.

While the View will release their first Album, break out of the clubs circut and go huge this year, their 'Same Jeans' track is all over radio 1 like a rash.
  • Options
    oh yeah, saw them a couple of years ago on the camden crawl. the alps that is. very nirvana ish.
    the view's wasted little dj's song is great. first single i've bought for a long time.
  • Options
    yep i'm also seeing the twang in march. Although the oasis/ roses/ mondays tag gets touted out everytime a new guitar band comes along tends to put me off a band as they''ll never live up to those bands.
    seen the view a few months back. the singles are decent but not very keen on their other songs. They should do well though.
    I'v mentioned jamie t before. He'll make it big this year.
  • Options
    yep i'm also seeing the twang in march. Although the oasis/ roses/ mondays tag gets touted out everytime a new guitar band comes along tends to put me off a band as they''ll never live up to those bands.
    seen the view a few months back. the singles are decent but not very keen on their other songs. They should do well though.
    I'v mentioned jamie t before. He'll make it big this year.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    just jack looks like finally breakin through this year which is good as he comes across as such a nice down to earth guy.

Klaxons whether you like them or not will be very big this year as they have a lot of record company backing plus golden scans is an amazing single which proves what a load of lies the new rave tag is.