Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Monday 12th April 2004. Liverpool 0 Charlton 1

2»

Comments

• The first line of that match report ffs!!!

'Sean Bartlett revived Charlton's hopes of qualifying for Europe...'
  • Still the only big ground in this country that I not seen Charlton win at . My best was the 3-3 what a match that was
  • take me back
  • Reebok box on halfway line....free bar...Charlton win...put £2 @ 60-1 Charlton 1-0 with Bartlett the scorer Happy days ...if Carling did away games ! Seems a long time ago especially after Tuesday's farce losing at home to bottom of table.
  • I managed to get 2 free tickets for this game and sat in the middle of the Liverpool hordes. When we scored I stood up and cheered, I was politely and firmly told to sit down and keep quiet by a home fan !
  • Was in Vegas........god I wish I was there now and missing tomorrows dross.
  • Only seems like a couple of years ago, not 14!
  • Beating Liverpool away to Gillingham doing the double over us.

How low we have fallen.....
  • Never forgotten Steven Gerrard going crazy because he didnt get a penalty right in front of us.. think it was Kishishev who'd made the challenge - Might even have been handball, that bit I dont remember

This was only my third ever away game - Play-Off Final and the 4-2 win against Arsenal being the other two. Three wins out of three and I was on cloud nine for picking my away games - Sadly though I then didnt see us win until Kyle Reid popped up in the 90th minute to give us a 2-1 win @ Southend, yet Anfield will always live long in the memory as its the game that started the jinx really.
  • Remember Stan Boardman on the pitch against us at half time ?
    I thought that was the mid week cup game?

Yes, I was there and believe it was. He had also been taking the piss out of Charlton before the game if I remember right.

• Sponsored links:

• Monday 12th April 2004 Liverpool 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Bartlett 63)

Liverpool: Dudek, Riise, Henchoz, Hyypia, Carragher, Kewell, Gerrard, Hamann, Diouf (Smicer 57), Owen, Heskey (Baros 57).

Subs not used: Murphy, Cheyrou, Luzi Bernardi.

Booked: Gerrard.

Charlton: Kiely, Kishishev, Hreidarsson, Young, Powell, Fortune, Holland, Jensen, Konchesky, Johansson (Euell 86), Bartlett.

Subs not used: Thomas, Royce, Cole, Perry.

Attendance: 40,003.

Referee: P Dowd (Staffordshire).

Shaun Bartlett revived Charlton's hopes of qualifying for Europe while denting Liverpool's Champions League ambitions.

Charlton stifled Liverpool's attacking impetus in the first-half and just past the hour Bartlett powered a header home from Claus Jensen's corner.

Restricted to a handful of half-chance headers from Emile Heskey in that poor opening half, Bartlett's goal prompted a more committed Liverpool response.

Dietmar Hamann had two shots cleared off the line, but Charlton held on.

Well organised and competitive, Charlton put pressure on every Liverpool player in possession, with Jensen and Matt Holland particularly industrious as the visitors succeeded in slowing the game down.

Even so it took a fine header from Jonathan Fortune to stop a John Arne Riise cross reaching Heskey on the far post.

Dean Kiely then had to smother a Michael Owen shot after the striker worked his way past two Charlton defenders.

KEY MOMENTS

63 mins: Bartlett's header gives Charlton the lead

64 mins: Charlton clear two Hamann shots off the line

Steven Gerrard also hooked over and Hermann Hreidarsson blocked a Heskey close-range header.

Charlton hit back from a corner, Jonatan Johansson forcing Jerzy Dudek into a flying save with a hooked volley on the turn.

Liverpool regained the attacking initiative and Hamann and Gerrard worked to get Riise moving down the left, and from his cross, Heskey rose to head over from eight yards.

Heskey went close again on 34 minutes afte he met another Riise cross but headed the ball down and just wide from 12 yards.

Liverpool need a fresh start just to give us some hope

Holland responded with a 25-yarder that flashed a foot wide of Dudek's right-hand post, while Gerrard also tested Kiely with a low shot.

Liverpool emerged after the interval in a similarly sluggish frame of mind and on 63 minutes Bartlett headed Charlton in front.

The South African international striker, who has scored just four league goals this season, rose to meet a Jensen corner and send a header crashing into the net.

Liverpool redoubled their attacking efforts and two Hamann shots were kicked off the line in quick succession.

But a couple more headers from Bartlett and Fortune severely tested Liverpool from further set-pieces.

Six minutes from time, Kiely produced an amazing save at his far post to beat out a substitute Vladimir Smicer header from Gerrard's cross from the left.

A minute later, it looked like Kishishev had tripped Gerrard in the box, but, as everyone expected a penalty, referee Phil Dowd booked a stunned Gerrard for diving.

The defeat left Liverpool level on points with fifth-placed Newcastle, who have a game in hand over Gerard Houllier's side.

See our prospective new manager was in the Liverpool line-up!