Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How European are you?

I'm currently reading "When the Lights went out - What really happened in the 1970s" by Andy Becket.

Fascinating and well written review of the politics of the decade.

One of the subjects is, of course, Britain's entry in to the EEC.

Now I don't want to start a debate on that topic so GH you can save your rant for another time : - ) but I did find this poll from 1973 in the Pro-Europe (at the time) Daily Mirror funny

Would you like to see these "Common Market" Customs in the UK?

Yes No

Regular wine with meals 23% 21%

More pavement cafes 11% 34%

More Shops open on Sundays 5% 40%

Coffee and a roll not bacon 13% 58%
and eggs for breakfast

Pubs open all day 18% 44%

How times change, hey.

Comments

• Options
    Coffee and a roll not bacon 13% 58%
    and eggs for breakfast

How is this not 0% 100%

If you prefer a roll over bacon & eggs you need your head examining. Unless its a bacon & egg roll.
  • Options
    Henry,

Don't make the mistake of confusing things European with the anti democratic would be superstate structure called the EU.

They are two different things.

That said, and I'm not expressing an opinion one way or the other as to whether the changes shown are good or bad, you highlight very well how UK culture has changed since entry into the Common Market as it was in 1973.
  • Options
    I know and agree Len that there is a big distinction between the two.

Was just struck by the cultural shift.

Interesting to read long forgotten terms such as "Maplin Sands" and "Saltley Gate"

Shops or pubs NOT being open is now more of a shock. Wine with meals is common place (in my house at least) and you can't move for pavement cafes in the city. Coffee and rolls maybe not but coffee and croissant yes.
  • Options
    I am typing this by a pool in Florence drinking a Coffee.....

Have also been to Belgium & France in the last two weeks

I love it over here but couldnt move here for good. Drives me crackers that all the shops shut between 1 & 4.

Paris has gone to the dogs and Belgium seems to have it sussed imho.
  • Options
    I doubt that many of the attituides highlighted by Henry would have lasted whether we were in or out of the EEC. Cheap travel and higher disposable incomes for young people plus the wain of the 'we won the war' generation were probably just as important.

Drifting into GH territory, it is amazing that an institution that is arguably more powerful than our own Parliament hasn't been given any mandate in my lifetime.
  • Options
    Pubs open all day was a massive mistake.
  • Options
    Don't even know of many pubs that are open 24hrs apart from a few dodgy ones in the backstreets!

I'd love there to be more pavement cafes/bars, I don't think we have as many throughout London as you see. A few areas yes, but many places are so full of traffic and narrow pavements you can't do it.

It's the one thing I do like about Rome, Florence, etc the big squares full of bars/restaurants to sit outside.

Of course, the more agreeable weather over there does help a lot.
  • Options
    Well, I'm sat on my cousin's balcony (in Spain), connected via the t'internet (provided by a French telco) back to my office (in the UK) whilst eating a (Belgian) waffle. Yep, I'm European!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    WTF ??? i eat haggis but i aint a jock

The only "common market custom" is telling us we are shit Europens whilst taking the cash !

pavement cafes yes naffing love em try it on a novenber night in Sunderland.

English breakfast every time over a soggy bun and jam.

Santa lots of countries have had various votes on the EU --- its just the UK that hasnt .Mind you that nice Mr Brown said he would let us----then again he lied didnt he.

I love Europe its a great place to VISIT, but its not like home.
  • Options
    lol quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]WTF ??? i eat haggis but i aint a jock

The only "common market custom" is telling us we are shit Europens whilst taking the cash !

pavement cafes yes naffing love em try it on a novenber night in Sunderland.

English breakfast every time over a soggy bun and jam.

Santa lots of countries have had various votes on the EU --- its just the UK that hasnt .Mind you that nice Mr Brown said he would let us----then again he lied didnt he.

I love Europe its a great place to VISIT, but its not like home.
    Good old GH. I may be 700 miles away, but it's good to know there will always be a small, pestilent corner of England that remains forever europhobic. I predict this thread will be torpedoed in... ooooh - eight posts' time.

PS: Gordon Brown never said he would consider a public referendum on the EU. In fact, in his first speech as prime minister, I distinctly recall him ruling it out.
  • Options
    yes mate your right he did rule it straight away when he became PM pity then for he was saying for at least a year that he would give us a vote on Europe BEFORE he became PM.

No phobia here mate as clearly said its a great place to visit.

and of course "there will always be a corner of some forign field that is forever England"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Santa lots of countries have had various votes on the EU --- its just the UK that hasnt.

So your problem is with the UK government(s) then?
  • Options
    So following the logic of me being europhobic Leroy i guess you must LOVE all things-- thats everything---- English ? and you will be bang up for St Georges Day next friday ? and that anyone who therefore not 100% ok with ALL thijngs Englisgh and dosnt want to celebrate St Gs Day is in fact (using your logic) Anglophobic ??????
  • Options
    I think 'Continental' would be more appropriate than 'European'. The latter has taken on a whole other meaning, one which the original poster knows well about.

On the 'Common Market customs', I say no to wine at meals, no to pavement cafés, no to coffee and yes to shops and pubs being open. Yes, many of these things have happened since 1973
  • Options
    gh in missing the point but ranting on anyway shock.
  • Options
    Henry are we more European than in 1970s ? must be and the points were tongue in cheek not sure why Leroy got all "phobic" about em. I mean i love their lottery.

I make points and they are rants others make points and its a debate ---------------f**k it ban me and have done with it then-- job done.
  • Options
    EU directive SE7.8HU prohibits us from banning you mate.
  • Options
    lol lookie