Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Decent Shoes

Morning Peeps,

I'm fully aware that many of you are pretty sartorial in their day jobs :-)

Looking to buy a pair of decent black shoes (rather than the rubbish I have tended to go for in the past) and wonder if anyone has pointers as where to go and makes to look at...

TIA.

Comments

• Options
    loakes or churchills

Jones the bootmakers are a Good high st retailer for men's shoes.

Good little shop on ludgate circus as well
  • Options
    Barkers
    Grensons
    Loakes
    Church's
    http://www.swshoes.co.uk/ these are cheaper but are not bad
  • Options
    Cant beat a pair of Brogues.

Office Shoes
  • Options
    Pair of Church's
    Just put them on at work, but travel wearing a cheaper pair so that the good ones last longer.
  • Options
    If you really want to find the best selection of top quality mens shoes then I would recommend a trip to Jermyn Street...............all the top brands and latest designs as well as standard classics can be found there, not cheap of course but there are numerous shops there that should satisfy your needs.
    You are talking to a shoe afficianado here Stanmore.....a sad old mod!
  • Options
    Excuse me for being a miserable old git this morning but I'm gonna have a pop at the shoe making industry here. Why is everything so cheaply made?
    It doesnt matter how much I spent on a pair of shoes, £40 or £120 quid, the inner sole will disintegrate within 4-6 weeks and the heel will wear down so much it needs replacing within 3 months, if not replacable there's only one place for them...the bin.

Ok, I know I'm pushing 16 stone but jeez, surely shoes should last longer than that? They lasted a lot longer than that when I was in my youth.

Had this with Base, Ted Baker, Paul Smith, Jeffrey West and cheaper brands like Ikon.

The only shoes I've not had trouble with are my Timberland boots, not a mark on them after literally wearing them every weekend for 18 months.

Rant over :-)
  • Options
    JohnBoy.....you seem to be going for the designer label angle here rather than the quality makers of which there are a fair few.
    I bet those shoes you've mentioned wern't actually made by the designers but in the far east.....therein lies the difference.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Excuse me for being a miserable old git this morning but I'm gonna have a pop at the shoe making industry here. Why is everything so cheaply made?
    It doesnt matter how much I spent on a pair of shoes, £40 or £120 quid, the inner sole will disintegrate within 4-6 weeks and the heel will wear down so much it needs replacing within 3 months, if not replacable there's only one place for them...the bin.

Ok, I know I'm pushing 16 stone but jeez, surely shoes should last longer than that? They lasted a lot longer than that when I was in my youth.

Had this with Base, Ted Baker, Paul Smith, Jeffrey West and cheaper brands like Ikon.

The only shoes I've not had trouble with are my Timberland boots, not a mark on them after literally wearing them every weekend for 18 months.

Good point sir :-) completely agree with this, like my trainers always end up scuffed although that is due to me playing football in them lol
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]JohnBoy.....you seem to be going for the designer label angle here rather than the quality makers of which there are a fair few.
    I bet those shoes you've mentioned wern't actually made by the designers but in the far east.....therein lies the difference.

Well I'm keeping an eye on this thread with interest and will certainly be trying a few other brands in future.
  • Options
    Problem is the shoes they sell on Jermyn Street are for the Tweed generation. Nothing there is suitable for anybody under the age of 40 or that doesnt shoot Pheasants for fun :-)

JohnBoy, go on Asos.com and you can pick up pairs of decent desinger look shoes for £30.....just buy 3 pairs and alternate them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Zara always do a decent pair of black shoes.
  • Options
    Office Shoes as Valley Gary above said are pretty decent. If you don't mind spending a bit more certain Patrick Cox ones do look nice.
  • Options
    just bought a pair of ox-blood loakes royal brogues for my wedding. normally about £130 but got them from this place in victoria for £85. (still can't get links working properly on here)

http://www.discount-shoe-sales.com/pages/loake/loake_royal_brogue.html
  • Options
    Bass Weejun American loafers. Been wearing them since the 1960's. Well made, last for years, affordable and very, very comfortable. As worn by icons such as Miles Davis, Steve McQueen and Arthur Miller.
  • Options
    Vegetarian Shoes in gardner street in Brighton....they are online and do online shoes.
  • Options
    This thread is a load of cobblers ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Vegetarian Shoes in gardner street in Brighton....they are online and do online shoes.

Shoes that don't eat meat? I've heard it all now. ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Problem is the shoes they sell on Jermyn Street are for the Tweed generation. Nothing there is suitable for anybody under the age of 40 or that doesnt shoot Pheasants for fun :-)

JohnBoy, go on Asos.com and you can pick up pairs of decent desinger look shoes for £30.....just buy 3 pairs and alternate them!

Partly true but not entirely accurate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Excuse me for being a miserable old git this morning but I'm gonna have a pop at the shoe making industry here. Why is everything so cheaply made?

Exactly.....

Thanks for the pointers peeps

Anyone else had experience with the samuel windsor...
  • Options
    Barkers, excellent make
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can thoroughly recommend GEOX shoes.

I do a lot of standing and walking at work and they are the most comfortable I have ever had. I currently have 5 pairs that I alternate.

http://www.geox.com
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stuart the Red[/cite]I can thoroughly recommend GEOX shoes.

I do a lot of standing and walking at work and they are the most comfortable I have ever had. I currently have 5 pairs that I alternate.

http://www.geox.com

LOL- just seen the front page of this link- what job do you do Stuart???????????

Thanks you btw!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: holyjo[/cite]Barkers
    Grensons
    Loakes
    Church's
    http://www.swshoes.co.uk/these are cheaper but are not bad

Spot on - look no further.
  • Options
    I am a drag artist...

....only joking though. LoL

Go to the list on the right-hand side and select UK and then click on other collections on the top bar to get to the men`s collection
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stuart the Red[/cite]I am a drag artist...

Stu...these are hardly classic shoes are they....more casual i'd say...wtith one or two exceptions.

....only joking though. LoL

Go to the list on the right-hand side and select UK and then click on other collections on the top bar to get to the men`s collection
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mmmmmm.......I'd be very wary of buying such cheap shoes, especialy on the web.
    I'm reffering to the SW link.
  • Options
    It looks like GEOX don't have their business shoes on the website. Try popping into one of their shops, they usually have a bigger collection/selection of classic/smart shoes.
  • Options
    Jeffrey West are my personal favourite for 'quality' shoes.. have 3 pairs on the go at the moment and each are brilliant....my favourite 'everyday' pair have the fantastic 'Heroes' sole, which is super comfortable but I don't want to wear them as the sole will (obviously) disappaear....which means I'll just have to get another pair eh?

I think that every one over the age of 40 should invest in a decent pair of shoes...time to move away from white reeboks with your jeans chaps...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]Jeffrey West are my personal favourite for 'quality' shoes.. have 3 pairs on the go at the moment and each are brilliant....my favourite 'everyday' pair have the fantastic 'Heroes' sole, which is super comfortable but I don't want to wear them as the sole will (obviously) disappaear....which means I'll just have to get another pair eh?

I think that every one over the age of 40 should invest in a decent pair of shoes...time to move away from white reeboks with your jeans chaps...

Quite right Charlie...spot on.
  • Options
    Just like to add...there's no point paying a lot of money for a decent pair of shoes if you're not prepaired to look after them....I always let mine dry out naturaly if they get wet and use good quality shoe polish on a regular basis.
    I have to say that many of you youngsters may not really know how to clean and polish a pair of decent leather shoes.
    If they're suede or buckskin use a good waterproofing spray on them every so often.

Shoulders back, head up...lovely boy!!!