Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Bexley constituency

edited April 2010 in Not Sports Related
very safe tory seat last time, however previous guy was booted out for dodgy expenses, and a certain person familiar to us all standing this time.. :)

Comments

• Razil, OB & S has always been the safest of safe tory seats. Derek Conway is no longer our MP. Some geezer James Brokenshire is.

Excuse my ignorance but who is the person familiar to us all standing? Perfect or Everitt perhaps?
  • that would be telling
  • Airman Brown is standing.

Good luck Rick.
  • Does Airman live in our constituency?
  • I agree, Good luck Rick
  • [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Does Airman live in our constituency?

Not currently i believe, moved further out, though i think there is no doubting he knows the area.

This is where the general election vote completely falls down in this country.

Am i voting for the party i want to serve as the next Government, or am i voting for the individual i think would best represent the local area ?

Have never voted Labour in my life but i would bet my house that someone like Airman who is a working class bloke brought up in the area would serve the people of our constituancy ten times more dilegently than a middle-class, company law spiv who has been shipped in from Hornchurch because it is a 'safe seat'.

Anyway, not getting into a politics debate as that is against the rules :-), just wanted to wish one of our members all the best in what i can imagine is going to be a month of hard work.
  • I am strongly against someone who doesn't live in my constituentcy representing me, whether he know's the area or not. For me, this is where the general election vote completely falls down.
    I like Rick & all he does for the club but I don't wish him luck in his quest to get the right wing commies into OB & S :)
  • [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]I am strongly against someone who doesn't live in my constituentcy representing me, whether he know's the area or not. For me, this is where the general election vote completely falls down.
    I like Rick & all he does for the club but I don't wish him luck in his quest to get the right wing commies into OB & S :)
    What would you do if nobody who put themselves up lived in Old Bexley?

Move?
  • Don't answer hypothetical questions. Do you think that Sean Woodward being parachuted into St Helens by Labour was right then WSS?
  • [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]I am strongly against someone who doesn't live in my constituentcy representing me

kind of agree with you. I note from the leaflet given out this morning that the Tory spiv is making a big thing about he lives in Bexley, travelling on South Eastern etc. Well i'd be interested to know since when as he was the Hornchurch MP until last week, and has been standing for a number of different seats around the country in the last few years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rick Everitt DOES live in the consituency.
  • WSSWSS
    edited April 2010
    I think that if you believe a person can do a job better than anyone else it shouldnt matter where they come from.
  • David Evernett the Tory for the seat that covers North Heath lives in Barnehurst. Popped round the other day, I was decorating but the wife assured him of my vote.
  • Whether you agree with Rick's politics or not he was a councillor in Bexley for a good few years and lived and went to School there.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]I am strongly against someone who doesn't live in my constituentcy representing me

kind of agree with you. I note from the leaflet given out this morning that the Tory spiv is making a big thing about he lives in Bexley, travelling on South Eastern etc. Well i'd be interested to know since when as he was the Hornchurch MP until last week, and has been standing for a number of different seats around the country in the last few years.

To be honest, I didn't even know until this morning that he was out MP. I knew that Conway had lost the whip but as far as I was aware, he was still our MP!
  • I met Brokenshire when I worked over in Havering, have to say that I thought he was a slimey so and so. AFKA, he technically still is the Hornchurch MP. Wonder where he lives in Bexley??

Good luck Rick.
  • [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]I am strongly against someone who doesn't live in my constituentcy representing me, whether he know's the area or not. For me, this is where the general election vote completely falls down.

Those in favour of the "first past the post" system argue it doesn't matter because teh person elected is there to represent the constituency, regardless of where they live.

I've lived in Sidcup and Old Bexley since 1972 apart from 6 years and I don't think that the "local" MP actually lived there. Ted Heath lived in Salisbury and Derek Conway come from Newcastle but lives in SW1.

I don't know Rick or his politics but he probably knows the area a bit better than the incumbent.
  • I know Rick lived in the constituency as a young un as I was at Infants School with him. good luck Rick.
  • edited April 2010
    lives locally read the biography
  • [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite] the right wing commies

Oxymoron alert. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• I was living in Beckenham constituency when MP Piers Merchant was forced to resign by The Sun. The labour party had not long won the 97 election by a landslide, so the people of Beckenham had a second chance to have an MP in government, rather than a weak and demoralised opposition. The thick snobby twerps voted for a tory matron they parachuted in from Sussex, who had been rolled over in the general election a few months before. I think she thought Beckenham played for Manchester Utd up until then...

So I think Rick is on a hiding to nothing unfortunately. Were I able to, the only way I would vote in this election was if the candidate was known personally to me, and was of good standing. That would be Rick then.
  • I think I'll just vote for the 2nd biggest party in the constituency (which was Labour in 2005) to shorten the Tory majority. If we can transform our constituency to more of a marginal seat then we'll have more attention next time around, which imo is the only way we'll get more of a say as to how things are run.
  • If Rick was an independent and I lived there I would vote for him. Bad timing Rick, getting selected for an unwinnable seat by a hopeless party. Unless you have good union backing, you will have no chance of standing in a safe norvern monkey labour seat.
  • I have had lunch with James Brokenshire and was not very impressed. Career politician, will be a Home office minister me thinks
  • Rick deserves his chance he has worked for the Labour traitors for donkeys years.
    The fact that he stands no chance dosnt mean he shouldnt stand. I mean there must be some blind deaf defuddled idiot who would still vote fot the anti english labour crap.

so far had 4 Labour things through the door and one Tory . Two people giving out Labour leaflets at Blackheath yesterday did think about force feeding them with it but both on the wrong side of 70, so walked off laughing.
  • I wish Rick the best of luck on a personnal level, and yes he is more local than Conway or Heath ever was.

I have never voted Tory, and my father and grandfather would turn in there graves at the thought of there children considering turning to vote Tory, albeit that I have often been a lone voice locally amid the 'tory hordes' in the village, but I can tell Rick now the young vote has gone Tory round here in the village, despite that s**t Conway.Both my son's and all there freinds will be voting not for the local MP, but to get Brown out!
    I wish you luck Rick because you are gonna need it mate!.

Be interesting to see what his views are on:
    The Bexley Selective test/Grammar schools.
    The Bexley Bypass, and the dreadful road congestion
    The closed shops in Sidcup and Bexley Village
    The illogical ban of local young people under 25 to the pubs in Bexley, to be filled with pissheads from every shithole around.i.e. St Georges day.
    How young people buy/rent property locally, that can be affordable.
    Your position on the local hospital, at Sidcup and the devisive 'picture of health farce' still not explained.
    How you would regenerate local industry.
    How you would bring social housing and challenge the council on planning matters to help local people, as oppossed to developers!
    That local culture does mean just the Danson festival, getting pissed on a Saturday night, and a kebab!.
    To use the local ammentaties for the benefit of the whole community. i.e. Parks and Open spaces for all.
    To use the derelict business parks in Bexley Village as enterprise zones, and training for the unemployed and young, and help secure grants to help pay for them.
    To get a decent transport infustructure to Bexley and sort out the farce of the A2 /Blackwall tunnel farce.
    What is your policy on the Dartford crossing!Toll.
    On the Power station/Pollution etc.
    Police on the beat, not nicking some poor bugger driving at 45 mph along North Cray.
    And a few dozen other issues I would be delighted to enlighten you on, if you would like to have a public meeting I would be delighted to discuss these issues with you!

Then if you convince me, you only need another 20,000 votes and you are in ! simple as ..........
  • The answer to the conundrum is that I live in two different places (bought a place at the seaside in 2003), but I've lived in Old Bexley and Sidcup for 40 years. My family moved to the Welling part of the constituency before WW2 and has been there ever since. I lived in Plumstead for six years in the 1990s, but apart from that I've been in what is now the constituency. I'm a member of the Old Bexley and Sidcup Labour party, vice chair of governors at East Wickham Junior School (my old school), and a governor at Welling School. I went to Chis & Sid (and before that North Cray Infants, as PeteF testifies).

I've no interest in standing elsewhere in future and no expectation of doing so. I was asked by my local party to stand and I was pleased to do so. James Brokenshire isn't the MP yet, but if people only stood because they expected to win there would be no ballot at all in most seats, which wouldn't be very healthy.

I don't want to fight the election on here and I respect people who have other political views, however they express them. That's what democracy is about, isn't it?
  • Tories ftw!
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]The answer to the conundrum is that I live in two different places

Jeez - not even been elected and already he's got the two houses in place ready to be "flipped". You'll go far.
  • Best of luck Rick.