Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

That Messy fella

He isnt bad is he ?

worth puting a few of the Queens pound coins on the Argies maybe for the World cup ? Messy and Tevez up front not to shabby that is it ?

Comments

• Options
    Not to mention Higuain at Real and I'm sure there are other's whose names escape me right now. Sadly though, I suspect that despite the massive wealth of talent at their disposal, like the French, they will be held back by a chump of a manager and will fail to deliver.
  • Options
    fooking quality my money will be placed firmly on them
  • Options
    Exiled's right on this. I see them as very much outsiders. To be fair I can't see much past Spain and Brazil, with maybe England or Germany as dark horses. Messi's not done particularly well at international level. For all he's the best player in the world, he benefits from having Xavi, Iniesta, Alves and Ibra. While they've got good players Argentina have none of them. To be fair they do have better players than the team that Maradonna carried to the 90 final. I reckon you'll get poor odds because of their history and the Messi factor.
  • Options
    Huh, he did nothing besides scoring four goals
  • Options
    I've heard he's quite good.
  • Options
    Argentina have a very strong, largely European based squad, who will be serious contenders, mainly because they have two very different match winners.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited April 2010
    Hmmm, I reckon there's very good value in betting on Nigeria (11/2) to beat them in their group (and finish top ahead of them - no odds to hand), and would put money on France (7/1) or Netherlands (6/1) to reach the final before I'd put that money on Argentina. That said, they have a collection of talented individuals, and if they could work as a team, I'd rate them as serious contenders
  • Options
    They scraped in by the skin of their nuts in a very easy qualifying series (for the big two anyway), and haven't replaced the insane legend that took them to the brink.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Not to mention Higuain at Real and I'm sure there are other's whose names escape me right now.

Aguero at Atletico Madrid. Milito at Inter Milan. They've even got Lisandro Lopez at Lyon who can't even get in the squad.

Their individual talent is undeniable but are they a team? They lost 6 of their 18 qualifiers and for some reason Messi just doesn't do it at international level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Not to mention Higuain at Real and I'm sure there are other's whose names escape me right now.

Aguero at Atletico Madrid. Milito at Inter Milan. They've even got Lisandro Lopez at Lyon who can't even get in the squad.

Their individual talent is undeniable but are they a team? They lost 6 of their 18 qualifiers and for some reason Messi just doesn't do it at international level.

All forwards. They can't all play at once, they'll need defenders and a good midfield too. Cambiasso is a very important player but I can't see them being serious contenders. Quarter Finals at best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Their match last time round with Mexico was one of the best international matches I've ever seen. A lot of that team is still there (if the fat pillock plays them instead of some no-hopers from Argentinian football) so I expect them to challenge. I don't expect Brazil to win it - but I don't expect Spain to either. Italians and Germans are annoyingly effective, and if I was betting on anyone, it would be them.
  • Options
    Ossie Ardiles was on the radio tonight trying to explain why Messi does not produce for Argentina. Apparently he is not popular with the people of Argentina because he has been at Barcelona so long, and more importantly the coach will not publicly acknowledge how good he is and Messi doesn't feel appreciated fully.
    It was said that the national coach, whoever that is, is worried that Messi may one day be seen as his equal or even superior. All a bit babyish.
    Sure Tevez and Messi are a mouth watering prospect but it takes more than that to make a team, especially if the coach is a nutter!
  • Options
    the coach tried his damnest to fail to qualify for the World Cup and nearly succeeded despite the talent at his disposal. I watched a lot of the games from South American qualifying and his team selections and tactics were bizarre in the extreme and the number of players he has fallen out with is ridiculous. He is a mad as a hatter and with him in charge I wouldn't even tip them for the semi's. If they had any sense they'd get rid now.
  • Options
    He is worse than Bryan Giggs!! ;-)
  • Options
    Messi is pure quality. I love watching him. He can create a goal out of nothing. That said Hubby reckons if you don't let him cut in on his left you've got him sussed. I'm not so sure as i think he'd just dribble round you anyhoo. If the Argies don't rate him cos he's been at Barca too long, just shows how mad they are. That said, not sure they'd win the World Cup but they'll be a joy to watch if they click.
  • Options
    I am also glad Arsenal have no hope of a trophy this seaason. As much as i dont really care about top four corprate ****** football i do like to see Arsenal suffer.
  • Options
    Argentina do it all the time. If you desert Argentina before your time etc you are not seen as Argentinian.

That all hate Che Guevara as well because he buggered off.
  • Options
    Awesome last night that boy, definately on his game unfortunately for arsenal. Basically arsenal wasn't outplayed this time, well as much they was just Messi'd(could catch on lol)

On the Argentina front it leads you to think with the amount of quality they have alone they have to have half a chance, although poor management and too many attacking players seem to hinder them but i still think there be there abouts, maybe semis at best.
  • Options
    Cant see Argentina winning it. Not strong enough defensively IMO.
  • Options
    We've all put 4 past Arsenal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]We've all put 4 past Arsenal.

We did and still lost :-(
  • Options
    Argentina have one huge handicap, their coach, Maradona. They got to South Africa despite him.
  • Options
    Know little about Argentine football but don't they have Mascarano as a defensive midfielder and Demichels from Bayern at the back with Heinze the ex-Man Utd player plus Walter Samuel at Inter. That's two players at clubs in the last eight of the Champions league in the back four

Hardly shabby

Argentina look a decent bet
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Argentina have one huge handicap, their coach, Maradona. They got to South Africa despite him.

Totally agree with you there.
  • Options
    You can have all the best players in the world, it wont win you nothing unless they are behind the coach, and the coach has something about him, how many Brazilian sides packed with world class players have failed to win when all predicted they would? Would be funnt to see Maradona sacked halfway through the tournament, not that I am still bitter about 1986...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Argentina have one huge handicap, their coach, Maradona. They got to South Africa despite him.

Exactly. A side featuring Samuel, Demichelis, Mascherano, Zanetti, Di Maria, Cambiasso, Tevez, Messi and Milito should be getting to the last 4. Maradona is a clown.
  • Options
    Surely we all know first hand that having the best players/ squad on paper in terms of ability does not guarantee success in competitions.

~Whilst Messi still has a (LONG) way to go to match Maradonna with Diego as manager it provides possibly more of a hindrence than a help and you can imagine the media circus that will surround him in South Africa which may be detrimental to his players....particularly if he gets busted snorting a line of colombian marching powder in a Jo'berg brothel for example.
  • Options
    I've always imagined that Maradonna is like Keegan.

Not a coach but a figurehead. If Argentina have a decent back room staff they can still go a long way.

Wasn't Diago brought in when Argentina were already in a mess and unlikely to qualify or did he manage them all the way through the campaign?

Argentina have also won the last two Olympics so must have so good young players as well.
  • Options
    He took over in Oct 2008, the campaign was under way when he took over, and they started ok with him then lost 6-1 to Chile! controversy follows him everywhere he goes, personally following his drug ban from 1994 Wold Cup I dont think he should be allowed anywhere near the World Cup.
  • Options
    France have managed to get to a World Cup final in spite of a rubbish manager, and Italy tend to be very poor in qualification, so it's possible. That said, I just can't see Argentina doing it this time. I can definitely see them losing to Nigeria in the first match. Semi-finals will I think be Brazil plus two European teams plus either an African or another European team.

As someone else said here, Germany and Italy are too solid resultswise to write off. I think France are a decent outside bet - after their scare in qualification, they might finally ignore Domenech altogether and play for themselves