Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Romans, Penitents and the Apostles

I have just had a platoon of drumming/trumpeting Romans walk past my front door, they were followed by the 13 apostles and a large group of penitents wearing the pointed hoods or "capirotes". I am a card carrying atheist, but its incredible street theatre, anybody else seen it in Andalucia?

Comments

• Options
    There is no it in Andalucia
    ;-)
  • Options
    no.
  • Options
    didnt they ban guys dessed in white robes with hoods carrying and burning crosses ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]didnt they ban guys dessed in white robes with hoods carrying and burning crosses ?

Not sure even the KKK actually carried the burning crosses, I think that they stuck 'em in the ground, stood well back and then set light to them. I might be wrong though.
  • Options
    No, I think you're right.

;o)
  • Options
    Plenty of graven idols being paraded around this way this weekend.

Don't these idiots even read the fairy story that they claim to run their life by....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]didnt they ban guys dessed in white robes with hoods carrying and burning crosses ?

They also toasted buns, that's where hot cross buns come from.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Plenty of graven idols being paraded around this way this weekend.

Don't these idiots evenreadthe fairy story that they claim to run their life by....

I know, they go potty for the idols round our way. It is something i can just not get my head around, as previously mentioned I am an atheist so I don't actually know/understand what makes "faith" tick. I can understand the comfort, succour and hope it might bring. I can appreciate the "majesty" of the whole thing, the traditions, colours and ceremony. But venerating wooden images as if they were the real thing, that I don't get. Surely if god is everywhere, you do not need representations?
  • Options
    They have to have parades & representations for the same reason they try to convert non believers...they don't fully believe it themselves (Shhhhhhhhh)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]They have to have parades & representations for the same reason they try to convert non believers...they don't fully believe it themselves (Shhhhhhhhh)

Why would you practice somethng you dont believe in? If it gives people comfort each to their own.

anyway dont want to get into an argument about religion as against the rules.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]They have to have parades & representations for the same reason they try to convert non believers...they don't fully believe it themselves (Shhhhhhhhh)

Just as I find it insulting when believers doubt the sincerity of my atheism it is insult to say that a believer doesn't genuinely have faith.

You may not agree with it or see the sense in it but that does not mean that those people aren't sincere.

Anyway as Curb it says this isn't the forum for these debates.
  • Options
    Bit late for that, Curb_It. It was an argument about religion before you commented.

Live and let live
  • Options
    some people have no class.
  • Options
    Were they giving out easter eggs...?
  • Options
    No it wasn't an arguement about religion. It was a post about Semana Santa and all its theatre. A couple of comments followed about some of the mysterious practices of those from a foreign land. Perhaps a discussion about interpretation but no more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Were they giving out easter eggs...?

No but you can get these really nice deep fried, anis flavoured cakes that are covered in sugar. The make doughnuts look slimming. Funnily enough most easter cakes/biscuits are made by nuns in convents.
  • Options
    I doubt it zeddy perhaps a few nails maybe?

trying to make light of it as dont want a row and pee AFKA off on his train.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]

No but you can get these really nice deep fried, anis flavoured cakes that are covered in sugar. The make doughnuts look slimming. Funnily enough most easter cakes/biscuits are made by nuns in convents.
    Anis flavoured cakes...?

I hope that's not a typo..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]

Anis flavoured cakes...?

No, sorry just the spanish spelling. I am unbelievably crap at spanish, but sometimes I use it instead of english. Brain cell decline rather than pretensions (unfortunately).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]

Anis flavoured cakes...?

No, sorry just the spanish spelling. I am unbelievably crap at spanish, but sometimes I use it instead of english. Brain cell decline rather than pretensions (unfortunately).
    So what do they taste like, and please don't say 'shite'...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Almost shite..... like deep fried pastry (made with olive oil rather than butter) but completely covered in sugar. Never been known to turn one down though.
  • Options
    Are they the things they sell outside of football gounds...?
  • Options
    Only two standard cakes in Spain, deep fried covered in sugar or (for special occasions) full of cream, no substance. You could make a fortune with a decent cake shop in Spain, if only the spanish were not so conservative with their food.
  • Options
    El Greggso...