Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Porto Stag Weekend - Advice Wanted

edited March 2010 in Not Sports Related
Hi All,

I'm in the process of organising a stag weekend to Porto. Flights and hotel booked, would be very grateful for any advice you wise people can give me on where to go, what to do, etc. We're all in our late 20's and early 30's, so old enough to appreciate the more cultural elements of the city but also just about young enough to enjoy anything tacky or depraved that Porto might have to offer. Practical stuff like price of drinks, good places to eat and the best way to get 19 people from the airport to the city centre would also be useful.

Cheers for your help.

Comments

• take protection
  • Don't know about any debauchery, but I found it a pretty dull kind of town, funny choice for a stag-do. I guess the obvious thing would be one of the football teams. You've got the port lodges which are pretty interesting, but nopt sure it's the thing for a stagger. Wouldn't be any restaurantts I'd particularly recommend, found the food pretty murky to be honest, which was a surprise because I love the stuff they serve up in Lisbon. Lots of boiled meat and potatoes. Sorry to be so negative, but to end on a plus the drink is as cheap as you'll find anyplace in south europe and I'd just get taxis in from the airport: not sure how far out of town it is, as I got there by rail, but taxis are reasonable out there...
  • edited March 2010
    1) Cancel hotel.

2) Cancel flights

3) Re-book hotel and flights for Albufeira

4) Whisper fellow lifer who has a pub in Albufeira, Portugal - which is a far nicer place anyway - and is desperate for business. He might be able to recommend hotel and will probably be able to organise transfers, point out best places to eat, drink and whatever else you require with the confidence of a resident...

5) Next time you organise a stag - ask these kind of questions FIRST, before you book, not after, then you wont make an expensive mistake.

:-D
  • adsads
    edited March 2010
    head down to the Ribeira, the old part of town down by the river, there are some good restaurants down there and some cheap bars but not sure if theres a 'stag-do area' as such, but have seen plenty of ropey prostitutes about!
  • Went on a stag do there about 4 or so years ago... Is a very quiet place...as Morts said, down by the river in the 'old town' are lots of bars / restuarants, but 'nightlife' is/was pretty non-existent... Got a cab out to some industrial park where the two biggest night clubs were...on the first night they would let half of us in (there were only 8 of us and we were in 2 cabs) - no reason, just a blank 'no'...on the 2nd night we went back and got into one of the clubs which was great...

Daytimes were spent in bars, drinking, so a good time was had by all, but not your typical 'stag town'... If there's a good crowd of you am sure you'll have a great time.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]Went on a stag do there about 4 or so years ago... Is a very quiet place...as Morts said, down by the river in the 'old town' are lots of bars / restuarants, but 'nightlife' is/was pretty non-existent... Got a cab out to some industrial park where the two biggest night clubs were...on the first night they would let half of us in (there were only 8 of us and we were in 2 cabs) - no reason, just a blank 'no'...on the 2nd night we went back and got into one of the clubs which was great...

Daytimes were spent in bars, drinking, so a good time was had by all, but not your typical 'stag town'... If there's a good crowd of you am sure you'll have a great time.

we are going Albufeira for 3 days stag do in June, done the research and sounds like a blinding place...DIVERT DIVERT DIVERT!!!
  • Cheers for the info all, much appreciated. Had quite a tight budget for this and flights wise it was far cheaper than anywhere else at the time I booked, fingers crossed it goes alright.
  • Went to Albufeira in September 08 and got mugged by knife point on my second night, 200 euros, watch and camera stolen. Managed to keep my phone as I legged it.

Police were rubbish and even saw the two that did it on the strip the next night, told the police who said they are good boys they would never do it. Crime is rife since the last euros as loads of gypsies came for work and when the Euro's were over turned to crime!

dont walk about on your own at night.

got a nice watch though on my insurance pay out :)
  • [cite]Posted By: robroy[/cite]Went to Albufeira in September 08 and got mugged by knife point on my second night, 200 euros, watch and camera stolen. Managed to keep my phone as I legged it.

Police were rubbish and even saw the two that did it on the strip the next night, told the police who said they are good boys they would never do it. Crime is rife since the last euros as loads of gypsies came for work and when the Euro's were over turned to crime!

dont walk about on your own at night.

got a nice watch though on my insurance pay out :)

Sorry about you getting mugged RR, and the police are tossers, BUT the rest of your post is inaccurate.

Crime has gone up in the last year, since the reccession kicked in - nothing to do with gipsies turning up in 2006, they were here for hundreds of years before then, same as everywhere else. They are probably responsible for the same amount of crime as gipsies in the UK.

You have a lot less chance of being turned over here than back in Blighty, but as with anywhere it's wise to take sensible precautions.

Did you come to Floyd's when you were over BTW?