Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics 2012 - have you registered for tickets?

Comments

• Options
    i ticked every event... that way i guessed i might get one. Id love athletics but happy to just go along to anything. In fact i've registered to help out.

Since Greenwich council finally voted in the equestrian event in the Park in the early hours of this morning hoping for some of that... but not to the detriment of the trees!
  • Options
    Schedule and prices released today:

http://www.tickets.london2012.com/olyschedule_p1.html
  • Options
    I know the tickets go on sale next month but do we have to pay for them then? I ask this because obviously they are going to be majorly over subscribed so we cant all get a ticket , so does anyone know when we pay for them?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2011
    Think money comes out in May/June. You "bid" for some tickets (say 5) I presume and if you get lucky and "win" all five then you pay for all five...
  • Options
    It really should be called the London Olympics as it means very little up here but we still have to pay towards it.

A complete and utter waste of money that the country doesn't have.
  • Options
    Just tried registering. The last "country" in the list is No Country.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]It really should be called the London Olympics as it means very little up here but we still have to pay towards it.
    There's some football in Manchester. ;-)
  • Options
    WSS - no there isn't, that's just City & United thinking that it's football
  • Options
    For some reason there's football at Coventry as well.
  • Options
    Test events announced today, tickets on sale in May

http://www.london2012.com/press/media-releases/2011/02/london-2012-announces-sports-testing-programme.php

Football is in Cov, as Villa are planning major work on Villa Park next summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've not applied for tickets, but the site to register for jobs opened up earlier this week and I was straight on to that!
  • Options
    Airman,
    Would it be possible to do another football for a fiver around the time of the olympics?
    Could be worth trying to lure some of the tourists to the valley as the Olympics is finishing up?!

A sunny day down the valley watching Powell's new look team is more exciting than a cold day losing to exeter, could attract some fans for the rest of that season?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]Airman,
    Would it be possible to do another football for a fiver around the time of the olympics?
    Could be worth trying to lure some of the tourists to the valley as the Olympics is finishing up?!

A sunny day down the valley watching Powell's new look team is more exciting than a cold day losing to exeter, could attract some fans for the rest of that season?

Or a day sitting on public transport trying to get to the game!
  • Options
    The only thing I would be interested in seeing is football...

I hate athletics with a passion and watching it is even worse...

A waste of 10 billion if you ask me...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]

Even the majority of that which was spent on improving the transport in London?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]Airman,

Or a day sitting on public transport trying to get to the game!

Or going - I cant believe I paid 5 quid to sit in an empty stadium as the season hasnt started yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]

Even the majority of that which was spent on improving the transport in London?

hmm good point, but still, a massive waste of money (although, providing jobs at this time is beneficial)
  • Options
    Oh joy. Due to sponsorship restrictions, you can only buy tickets online if you use a VISA card.
  • Options
    No different from say Pepsi sponsoring the event and then letting Coca Cola be sold in the stadium.
    Of course they want exclusivity.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]No different from say Pepsi sponsoring the event and then letting Coca Cola be sold in the stadium.

I disagree MOL, having to drink coke rather than pepsi does not involve filling in a form and going through all the palava gaining a credit card can bring. There was nothing to stop the organisers from allowing other credit cards to be used whilst still advertising Visa exclusively...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2011
    I didnt think there were many cards nowadays that werent provided by Visa. I know all of mine changed last year to Visa.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]No different from say Pepsi sponsoring the event and then letting Coca Cola be sold in the stadium.

I disagree MOL, having to drink coke rather than pepsi does not involve filling in a form and going through all the palava gaining a credit card can bring. There was nothing to stop the organisers from allowing other credit cards to be used whilst still advertising Visa exclusively...

Sureley the more sponsors have to pay the less was needed from public funds ? If Visa paid more for exclusivity (which they would have done) then surely it's a good thing.

It's ridiculously easy to get a pre-paid visa e-card, I would suggest that anyone who doesn't apply for a ticket because of this restriction probably didn't want to go anyway.
  • Options
    This Visa thing is red herring, as SE9 said, getting a pre paid Visa card is easy, very few banks don't offer Visa debit cards, and this is just the Brits having a whine
  • Options
    The pricing for some of the events look stupid to me. How many people will pay £65 to watch one morning of Qualifing for the fencing (a sport almost impossible to watch from a distance of more that 20m) and not even get to watch the final.

I remember going to the Manchester Comenwealth games (yes Lancashire Lad, it is possible to support an event that happens somewhere else in the country) and the subsidies for the event were such that we had good tickets to see Chris Hoy win the cycling sprint final for I think £12 (it may have been slightly more but it wasn't a lot of money). For London all but the worst tickets range from £95 to £325 for the same event.
  • Options
    The size and costs of the Commonwealth's aren't the same
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Such low ticket prices at Manchester, yet so many empty seats. I would if the same will happen at London? Supply and demand.
  • Options
    How much did they pay for that broken clock?!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It is the size of the Olympics that make some of the ticket prices stupid.

Who is going to say "I wont go to the Athletics/Boxing/Cycling/Gymnastics/Teniss/Football/Basketball/Swimming/Hocky....... etc. this morning I think I'll pay £65 to go and watch the early rounds of the fencing." (other than friends and family of the competitors).
  • Options
    The prices for any event someone might actually want to watch are very expensive. I think the Olympics are a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: sygonrima[/cite]It is the size of the Olympics that make some of the ticket prices stupid.

Who is going to say "I wont go to the Athletics/Boxing/Cycling/Gymnastics/Teniss/Football/Basketball/Swimming/Hocky....... etc. this morning I think I'll pay £65 to go and watch the early rounds of the fencing." (other than friends and family of the competitors).

[cite]Posted By: richie8[/cite]The prices for any event someone might actually want to watch are very expensive. I think the Olympics are a waste of time and money.

But that’s the point, the Olympic Games expose you to events you would never normally watch, the pricing structure is set so that the less popular events will have more attractive prices and you’ll have to pay through the nose for the more in demand events – as is fair. Of course there are the criticisms that it’s cost too much etc etc (my own view is that this country does a very good job on wasting vast sums on things much less worthy than a genuine sporting legacy), but the fact is it’s done now, there’s no going back.

I think if you approach the Olympics, happening in our country, our city and our borough possibly for the only time in our life, with an open mind you’ll have an absolutely fantastic time and really make the most of the experience. If you approach it with the closed mind displayed above you won’t get anything out of it and you’ll miss out on a fantastic cultural and sporting experience.