Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Harry Carpenter

Rest in Peace, Harry. Know what I mean?

Comments

• Sad sad news - one of those really infectious people that nobody had a bad word to say against

RIP fella
  • Rip Arry.. random but did he have a wodden leg?
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Rip Arry.. random but did he have a wodden leg?

That was Reg the boxing man on ITV
  • Reg gutteridge? I knew it was one them.
  • RIP 'Arry.
  • Know what I mean 'Arry....RIP old fella.....you did a grand job and led an incredible life.
  • R I P 'arry

Took him home once to Dulwich, a very very nice man (good tipper too!)
  • R I P.

A real gent who just had a something about him which made the noble art of boxing seem just a little more noble.
  • Sponsored links:

• No what I mean Harry. Very Sad. RIP.
  • A very professional commentator but with a wonderful sense of humour, sad news indeed. RIP.
  • There are people whose love for what they do comes through everytime you hear them , Arry was one of those.

RIP
  • The rumble in the jungle - absolute classic commentary!
  • Another part of my childhood gone. Loved Harry on Sportsnight on a Wednesday, boxing, a bit of athletics and the odd football highlight. You appreciated sport on TV more in those days as it wasn't saturated coverage.
    Can see him now standing in front of the massive manual BBC leader board for the Open during the summer holidays. Happy memories.
  • RIP Harry
    ...sorry mate but I always thought Reg Gutteridge was the better commentator.
  • One of the old school and as Chirpy says, another part of the childhood gone.

On a lighter note, there was that great handover once from Frank Bough, who said "And now over to your carpenter, Harry Commentator!"

Classic..
  • He was often in the bar at Dulwich & Sydenham Golf Club at lunchtimes over the last fifteen years. RIP Harry.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP - who's left of the old school commentators?
  • A class act.

RIP
  • BlackForest - probably only Richie Benaud and Peter Aliss left of the old school now. And Motson if you count him, though never a fan personally.
  • My favourite quote from Harry Carpenter

"Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the Cambridge President is kissing the Cox of the Oxford crew"

Boat Race, 1977

RIP