Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A beautiful walk in Kent.

Yesterday I found what was one of the best walks and what has to be just about the 'best' view in Kent from the North Downs you could ever imagine.
Go to the village of Kemsing...not far from Otford (Sevenoaks)....go to the centre of the village and there is a pub there called The Wheatsheaf....alongside it (and most conveniently), is a free public car park.
At the rear of the car park are some public footpaths leading up to the most gigantic open space you could ever imagine....it's very steep, almost like a ski piste in fact (it must have been fantastic during the recent snowfall for tobogganing)....walk up to the top of the downs and you can see for miles, literally the best view out over Kent I've 'ever' seen, certainly none bettered!
A new experince for me and to think I've been for a Sunday lunchtime drink in Kemsing quite often over the years, I had no idea this fantastic place existed and right in front of my eyes....just goes to show what Kent has to offer if you just care to look off the beaten track.
Great place to walk the dogs and for the kids to run free.....or just go for a walk and the outdoors...thoroughly recommend any Lifer to go there and take in a bit of our beloved Kent at it's very best.

Comments

• You are not allowed to walk in Kent any more, if you were "proper" Charlton you would only walk in SE London.

Aint that right Oh South London ;-)

All joking aside Soundas, I have just moved to this part of the world so I will check it out.
  • did you go fully tweeded up soundas ;-)
  • edited March 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]did you go fully tweeded up soundas ;-)[/quote]

Once a mod always a mod Steve...one has to keep making the effort....even if fashions change!
    I'm too old to kep up with fashion nowadays so I like to go for the classic English look.....have recently found a new passion for Harris Tweed.
  • edited March 2010
    That is so strange y ou said that soundas as yesterday we did a long circular walk from Eynsford via Otford and Shoreham and the scenery was absolutely stunning continuously all the way round. At one point we were so high up overlooking otford - the scenery was amazing .

Such a brilliant walk and if any of you out there that like this sort of thing I have attached the link. You dont have to do it all we did but you can stop at shoreham and jump on the train back to eynsford to collect the car.

Feel brilliant today.

walkers
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]That is so strange y ou said that soundas as yesterday we did a long circular walk from Eynsford via Otford and Shoreham and the scenery was absolutely stunning continuously all the way round. At one point we were so high up overlooking otford - the scenery was amazing .

Such a brilliant walk and if any of you out there that like this sort of thing I have attached the link. You dont have to do it all we did but you can stop at shoreham and jump on the train back to eynsford to collect the car.

Feel brilliant today.

[url=http://www.walkingclub.org.uk/book_3/walk_59/index.shtml]walkers[/url][/quote]

Know the area very well Curb_It...I think where I went is called Green Hill...though don't quote me on that.
    Maybe someone can confirm.
  • The best walk in kent is across the bridge into Essex
  • I wish Parky would take a walk. Oh sorry, wrong thread.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I wish Parky would take a walk. Oh sorry, wrong thread.

Ha ha
  • Ya bunch of heartless heathens!!!
  • Cheers SoundAs/Curb_It, I'm holidaying in Kent this year so may well check these out.

Have to say though, the open prarie in Alberta has to be the largest open space I can imagine, mind bogglingly huge and sparsely populated to the eyes of a boy from such a crowded little island.
  • Sponsored links:

• I had a wonderful walk in kent yesterday, asda greenhithe.. there was a bird in there was drop dead fit, and happend to be reaching forward for some milk as I turned the corner. Truly a breath taking sight to be hold, 2 of the finest melons kent has ever produced.

I too woke up feeling amazing, just a shame about becoming blind....

;-)
  • Any good walks or landmarks near Westerham?

If weather good going to Chartwell on Saturday and then maybe take in a nice shortish walk and pub lunch with Henry Jnr.

Suitable and polite suggestions only please. I know you lot : - )
  • Walk over Toys Hill /French Street area through the woodlands and show your lad some of the damage done in the hurricane....that area will show the scars for centuries I reckon.
    Walk down into the town, there are several pubs there on the green and take a look at Churchills statue as well.
  • as Soundas says and have lunch at The Fox and Hounds
  • alternatively if he has been really naughty take him to Huddersfield
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]alternatively if he has been really naughty take him to Huddersfield

He'd prefer that as he's "proper" Charlton and could tick off another ground.
  • Can't be arsed with all that walking stuff, got any pictures...?
  • Ide Hill or Toys Hill Henry.
  • All this talk of hills sound too energetic. Aren't there any flat bits of Kent? : - )
  • If god wanted us to walk he wouldn't have invented the wheel ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Aren't there any flat bits of Kent?

Well there's the St Lawrence ground, Canterbury, home to the mighty Kent CCC.

Otherwise none. Not even the pitch at Gillingham FC which is bumpy as hell..

Seriously, around Chartwell are some of the best walks in the county. . As others have said, from Toy's Hill or Ide Hill, across National Trust owned woodland bequeathed by Octavia Hill (no getting away from Hills,I'm afraid!)

I think the Fox & Hounds pub at Toys Hill has free NT leaflets with a map showing the trail to Chartwell...
  • If you want flat, try Hayesden County Park and the water meadows around Tonbridge. Or a walk through Knowle Park in Sevenoaks.
  • edited March 2010
    Knole (correct sp.) isn't flat at all, Bing! Which is what makes it so lovely, watching the deer leaping up and down those steep banks...

In my younger days I used to play cricket every season in the Tonbridge water meadows against a side called Vickerys CC. Etched in my memory is the 1981 fixture when I got deposited for six into the river twice in one over. My personal equivalent of going to Millwall and getting humiliated 4-0, I guess...
  • Henry
    The only flat part of Kent is THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE RIVER THAMES,can you not yet walk on water.
  • Talk of Toys Hill and Ide Hill bring back happy memories: may I bore you? In '51 the second best thing that happened, the first being my first Charlton game, was to go on a week's holiday. Not many people were having holidays then what with rationing and stuff but my dad had a bit of a win on the dogs and he booked a week's B&B at the Post Office at Toys Hill. We set off in late July, piling into a very battered Austin 7 that the old man had bought for a fiver from a bloke in a Woolwich pub a couple of weeks before (my older brother didn't trust it and cycled from Abbey Wood). The Austin got to Brasted, needing only regular top-ups of water, but when it reached the bottom of Toys Hill problems started. In short it wouldn't take my mum and dad and myself plus the luggage up the steepest parts of the hill. There used to be a small garage somecwhere there and the chap there suggested going up in reverse, that being the lowest gear. Dad tried it and off we went, spluttering our way backwards up the hill! (This idea was later used in the film 'Ice Cold in Alex' with the ambulance). It was a great holiday what with my brother racing my dad & me to Ide Hill. him running across the fields and us in the Austin, a big country fete on the green with Morris Dancers and traditional games etc. my fifth birthday when we had a rowing boat on the river at Tonbridge and a picnic with me being scared witless when the 'Golden Arrow' boat train suddenly burst out of the trees and over the railway bridge.But most of all I remember the kindness and friendliness of the people there. The Post Office is long gone, as is the pub that was next door whose name escapes me, the village green has become overgrown (it was opposite the pub, a short walk through the wood) and many of the fine trees were flattened in the hurricane. It's still a lovely part of Kent though and well worth visiting.

P.S The 'Golden Arrow' was being hauled by a Battle of Britain class 4-6-0 loco.
  • Aaaah Kent - the garden of England. Famously beautiful.

What do they call Essex again?

:)
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]The Post Office is long gone, as is the pub that was next door whose name escapes me,

It was the Tally-Ho, March. Now a private house. As is the post office, although I think it's still called something like 'the Old Post Office' and there's still a collecting box.

Lovely story. Thanks for sharing it with us!
  • Thread of the week!
  • BDLBDL
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]The best walk in kent is across the bridge into Essex

Erm, last time I went on the Bridge it was to escape from the land of Stiletto's and all the Mutton on show at Lakeside ;-) (Don't deny it - I used to work in Harold Hill)
  • BDLBDL
    edited March 2010
    Best part of Kent is Lympne Castle, up on the hill overlooking Romney Marshes. Absolutely fantastic view of the whole bay stretching from Hythe down to Dungerness.

15123805_2a06e4d2b2.jpg?v=0