Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who are the dark horses for the world cup squad?

2»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]doubt if I will even watch it. Can't get worked up to support a team where the current captain is a former drug cheat, his replacement likes beating up people in pubs and the former captain and best defender cheats on his wife and shags his collegues exes.

Agreed. I can't identify with these players, so I won't support them. I'll watch it, but will end up picking a team once it starts. Some underdog who has a go and plays with a bit of flair most likely.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]doubt if I will even watch it. Can't get worked up to support a team where the current captain is a former drug cheat, his replacement likes beating up people in pubs and the former captain and best defender cheats on his wife and shags his collegues exes.

Agreed. I can't identify with these players, so I won't support them. I'll watch it, but will end up picking a team once it starts. Some underdog who has a go and plays with a bit of flair most likely.
    lol, is this why you support Charlton, Ash Tray?

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]doubt if I will even watch it. Can't get worked up to support a team where the current captain is a former drug cheat, his replacement likes beating up people in pubs and the former captain and best defender cheats on his wife and shags his collegues exes.

Why doesnt this post suprise me.
  • Doubt they will happen but I would take Robinson ahead of Green - a better player with more international experience IMO.

I would also take Parker who by all accounts is having a great season at WHU...shows how far he has fallen that a Charlton fansite does not even remember to mention him in this sort of thread.

Adam Johnson must have a decent outside chance...

Gary Neville would be a complete waste of a space in the squad for me. Completely past it and gets skinned every time he plays for United these days. Just not up to it anymore...

Phil Neville however would be my first choice back up as LB (ahead of Baines & Warnock), plenty of experience and still playing well at Everton (albeit in CM)...never thought I would hear myself championing himfor an England squad place though!
  • Would have C. Cole in front of Heskey all day long, so much more to his game and much stronger than Heskey, Agbonlahor is all about pace and if you have Defoe and Rooney you already have plenty of that. I just think Cole offers something the others dont. Good shout Parker been great this year by all accounts .
  • I dont rate Heskey that much but England seem to score goals when he plays with Rooney. Rooney even said he prefers Heskey over others. Good enough reason for me.

G Neville is still the best crosser of a football in England.
  • Paul Robinson out for a month, personally I think he is the bets English keeper but not favoured by Capello and injured atm.

Has good experience, played at a WC before and despite a sticky spell between 2006 and 2008, has got back to really good form with Blackburn. In all honesty as well the Croatia mistake was a fluke and G Neville has to take a lot of the blame for passing back to the keeper there on such a bad pitch.

Green- average imho, nothing special and not in same league as other Prem keepers such as Reina (Spains number 2), Van Der Sar, Given
    James- too many errors, 40 years old so surely cannot have the agility and reactions he once did
    Hart- too early, maybe 2012/2014
    Foster- not even Uniteds number 2

Not sure if he is a dark horse but if he gets back to fitness, has to go. West Ham could go down which would mean both our top keepers have been relegated from the Prem with their clubs.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Paul Robinson out for a month, personally I think he is the bets English keeper but not favoured by Capello and injured atm.

Has good experience, played at a WC before and despite a sticky spell between 2006 and 2008, has got back to really good form with Blackburn. In all honesty as well the Croatia mistake was a fluke and G Neville has to take a lot of the blame for passing back to the keeper there on such a bad pitch.

Green- average imho, nothing special and not in same league as other Prem keepers such as Reina (Spains number 2), Van Der Sar, Given
    James- too many errors, 40 years old so surely cannot have the agility and reactions he once did
    Hart- too early, maybe 2012/2014
    Foster- not even Uniteds number 2

Not sure if he is a dark horse but if he gets back to fitness, has to go. West Ham could go down which would mean both our top keepers have been relegated from the Prem with their clubs.

Carson?
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I dont rate Heskey that much but England seem to score goals when he plays with Rooney. Rooney even said he prefers Heskey over others. Good enough reason for me.

G Neville is still the best crosser of a football in England.
    For me if Heskey gets the best out of Rooney (and perhaps even Gerrard and Lampard when it comes to scoring), he's probably the best option.

England only need to win 1-0, and if the defence play like they can, we won't concede many. Crouch will score far more than Heskey, but if that means Rooney isn't as effective, is that the best way to play?

Rooney's not the only striker to say how much he enjoys playing next to Heskey up front.

It really does just show how limited England's options up front are. Rooney is the only world class striker we have, and there is some gap between him and the rest of the strikers.

As much as I like Darren Bent, I don't think the games will suit him. How many teams are going to push up against England and let him use his pace? Same goes for Agbonlahor and our other pacey strikers at a similar level on the fringes of the squad.
  • Think the bean pole will play a big part for England this summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah has to be in the squad for me, just wonder if he'll start over Heskey. Can't imagine Defoe starting after going pretty much unnoticed in the last friendly.
  • Daniel sturridge
  • edited March 2010
    If Cole or Bridge don't go I think he'll gamble and take one left back (Baines or Warnock) with Lescott as cover for both Centre Defense and Left Back.
  • Another couple for Benty yesterday...
  • It's just a shame that Rory Delap isn't English. I think a few of those teams would be in with a real shock and let in a few goals with Crouch on the end of them.
  • Darren might yet make it.............................................................and I don't mean Ambrose by the way.
  • I'll throw a name into the mix. Michael Dawson. Dawson has been outstanding playing alongside 6 different CB partners (Bassong mainly then King, Woodgate, Kaboul, Corluka and Huddlestone) this season and think he thoroughly warrants a call up given his form. The only thing that I can think of which goes against him is maybe lack of pace.

I just pray Lennon gets fit in time. If he is 100% fit in the form he was in before his injury, no full back can live with him. Unlike Walcott, he has a first touch.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Yeah has to be in the squad for me, just wonder if he'll start over Heskey. Can't imagine Defoe starting after going pretty much unnoticed in the last friendly.

One thing to be said for Defoe is that if Lennon starts on the right, them two have made and scored a shed load of goals for Spurs this season. Same for Crouch too.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Daniel sturridge

Why? 5 starts in all competitions all season!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Daniel sturridge

Why? 5 starts in all competitions all season!

That didn't stop Sven taking Walcott :) Obviously I have more faith in Fabio though.

Bent should go but won't. His face just doesn't fit. Has scored more goals than Defoe not just this season, but in total over the last 5 seasons. Has also scored against all the big 4 (a criticism which has been leveled at him in the past), not just 8 against Hull and Wigan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw a couple of mentions on a newspaper report. Players like Roger Johnson, Michael Dawson (JohnBoyUk's suggestion), Lee Cattermole (Probably if he didn't get injured earlier in the season), Leon Osman and Kevin Davies!!! are mentioned i probably wouldn't take any of them but would consider Dawson, Osman and Cattermole who always give everything for their team. Johnson IMO is too unexperienced to take to South Africa.
  • Dawson has been playing well so I would probably take him. Better than Upson imho and although not blessed with international experience, has played for long enough in the Prem to be considered.
  • nicky forster