Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stokes was offered 14k a week

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
For an 18 year old unknown?

He must be laughing, greedy little shite. Scored some goals in Conference and wants 700k a year!!! What is football coming to!

Comments

• Options
    exactly, its gone to the dogs! football is dying
  • Options
    Why? If he was offered 14k then that's not his problem. If Sunderland offered him more and they can afford it then that's up to them.

Thing is we can't have it both ways. We want good players, prem standard players but we want them to take Div 3 wages. We want them to care passionatly about the shirt but want them to leave whichever club they are at now as soon as we click our fingers.

If Eastwood signs today for £14k PW do we say "great player, good move for him" or "greedy sod only left Southend for the cash, no loyalty to the club that gave him his chance, should have stayed at Roots Hall"

My wife is a nurse. A Senior sister in fact. Does life saving operations for the NHS. Gets shit money. I think she should earn more than a footballer and earn more than me who doesn't save anyone's life. But who wants to pay more tax or donate some of their wages to help her out. If you do I let you have the address to send the cheques to : - )
  • Options
    i'm convinced the money angle is now the prime reason why fans are turning on players so much these days, not just ours but all over the country.

the difference between normal working wages and footballers has got so vast it just causes spite. When things go wrong they are always accused of not trying.

Prem footballers ARE at the top of the entertainment industry, and earn comparable to movie stars and top musicians. But the difference is, you're average joe doesn't have a link or emotional pull to an actor or singer, like the get through the connection of their football club.

Tim Henman for example was an underperforming tennis, who earned multi millions out the game, yet never got any flack from the crowd.
  • Options
    we have no expectations in tennis, our best player/s are and have been Canadian and Scottish!
  • Options
    Good points and I agree with them...

Just annoys me someone who is 18 years old is already going to be made for life by the time hes 22!!
    And we wonder why the passion is going out of the game!

The most annoying thing is seeing a pile of rubbish on a saturday that has cost me around £40 for the day and seeing them storm off down the tunnel (Marcus Bent/JFH) to get thier envelope at the end of the week with £18,000 in it!
  • Options
    Tim Henman was a top 10 player for 10 years, cause he didn't win Wimbledon doesn't make him an under performing tennis player
  • Options
    "Tim Henman was a top 10 player for 10 years, cause he didn't win Wimbledon doesn't make him an under performing tennis player "

He under performed compared to the hype he got which was totally ott....................
  • Options
    come on tim...
  • Options
    He got hype for two weeks a year, most people didn't see what he was doing the rest of the year, he hardly went out and courted it
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: tom_cafc[/cite]For an 18 year old unknown?

He must be laughing, greedy little shite. Scored some goals in Conference and wants 700k a year!!! What is football coming to!

Unfortunately this is an easy reason to turn on players, which when things aren't going well is a perfectly human reaction to want to do. It may be wrong, as Henry implies, that they earn so much more than people whose job's are "real" but that is market forces and frankly you can't blame them for taking it.

Turning on them if they don't care when on the pitch- that's a different matter
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It wasn't Henman who hyped himself up, it was the ******* media.
  • Options
    i used Henman as an example of someone who has earnt multi millions in sport, despite not winning anything.

tom said 'annoys me someone who is 18 years old is already going to be made for life by the time hes 22!!'

would you feel the same about say Daniel Radcliffe if the next Harry Potter is rubbish ?

The majority of footballers aren't to blame for the money they are earning, nor are Sky for paying so much money for the rights.

In my opinion, the 'powers that be' are to blame for letting agents into the game too easily and dictating terms and holding clubs to ransom, the club chairman are to blame for agreeing to sign players for such ridiculous money, and supporters are to blame for going along with it and by paying inflated ticket prices, justifying the clubs to go out and get these players.
  • Options
    wage cap and draft like the american sports...

GOOOOOO ADDDIIIICCCCKKKKSSSS!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]wage cap and draft like the american sports...

GOOOOOO ADDDIIIICCCCKKKKSSSS!!

But US sportsman get paid a lot MORE than premiership players. £3m plus for a rookie is common place in the Tedious Football League. Baseball and basketball players also earn more.

As with all things its not the cost that people worry about it's the value.

BTW no one has offered to support the poor nurses of Barts. Those of you working in the City especially should be keen to know that the nurses at you local hospital aren't worrying about bills or how to pay for the holiday on Lake Garda when they are treating you. Sent Cheques made payable to Mrs R Hayes please.
  • Options
    they get a sexy uniform, be grateful.
  • Options
    i can imagine it being frustrating for nurses etc when they see tube drivers striking and demanding more money and not playing with people's lives. Yes the tube drivers get lambasted for doing this but could you imagine the outrage is a whole hospital full of nurses decided to strike?

those who choose the profession would never choose to do this of course due to the nature of the job but the wages received are disgraceful. My mother worked in a hospital in which people basically went for their dying days, the emotional turmoil and crappy work she was doing for peanuts angered me so much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]they get a sexy uniform, be grateful.

Don't let Lady Irving hear you say that. As she works in theatres she wears those blue baggy things you see on the TV shows and as she says "if you think those covered in blood, guts and vomit are sexy then there's something wrong with you"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]i can imagine it being frustrating for nurses etc when they see tube drivers striking and demanding more money and not playing with people's lives. Yes the tube drivers get lambasted for doing this but could you imagine the outrage is a whole hospital full of nurses decided to strike?

very true. Shame we don't a salary cap in non-sporting jobs
  • Options
    there is a flip side to it though.

that those that go into nursing, for example, do so because there is something inside them that wants to help others. By nature, they will be caring individuals, which is helpful for the job. In that respect, the right people are doing the right job, and they are not motivated to do so for financial reasons.

Can you imagine if it was reversed, footballers paid peanuts, and nurses the megabucks ?

Imainge having to be treated by a collection of JFH's, Marcus Bent's, Lee Hendrie's and Kieren Dyer's ??????
  • Options
    or someone going:

"Kish, quick an ambulance has come in and the patient is bleeding profusely"

He'd just round around like a mad man, knockin over syringes, falling over wheelchairs etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can hear AKFA writing a "CAFC/Casuality" spoof as I write.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]or someone going:

"Kish, quick an ambulance has come in and the patient is bleeding profusely"

He'd just round around like a mad man, knockin over syringes, falling over wheelchairs etc

LOL!

Richard Murray screams up to A&E in his ambulance... Doors fall off in a cloud of smoke...........etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I can hear AKFA writing a "CAFC/Casuality" spoof as I write.

Henry, was that deliberate or just Freudian?

CAFC and casual works every time for some of those overpaid twats.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I can hear AKFA writing a "CAFC/Casuality" spoof as I write.

Henry, was that deliberate or just Freudian?

CAFC and casual works every time for some of those overpaid twats.

No, I have very mild dyslexia and am too lazy to use the spell check. But it might be Freudian as well. Who knows?
  • Options
    I always thought casuality was when physicists wore jeans to work.