Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we in danger of

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
missing the boat. Boro on Saturday is a must win game, not even a point will do. In December we were told by PV that we were already working on things and getting players in was a priority as soon as the window opened. I anticipated at least two in before Boro to give the squad a boost but this is now looking unlikely. With Pompey and Bolton away the next up then Chelsea at Home and Man Utd away we could possibly be looking at nil points from twelve. If so then 3 points v Boro is imperative. With the current bunch of players and with Young,Reid, Bent injured then I am fearful of what will happen at the weekend. We can't afford for the next time to pick up points to be WestHam on 24th Feb as by then we'll be dead and buried. Anyone agree or am I panicking too early ?

Comments

• Options
    No, you're just being realistic...
  • Options
    It's a bit different playing at home but missing out on Stokes is a concern as I have no faith in the current strikers whatsoever.

Cant we get a Valencia 4th choice on loan?

If we were willing to part with £2m for Stokes Id go for gypsy Eastwood.
  • Options
    We have seemingly been close to getting in Stokes, Smertin and Quashie - but we aren't exactly the prettiest girl in town.
  • Options
    slight panic, its only 9am on Tuesday, but i also think you need to be a little bit realistic here.

Its all well and good all of us saying and knowing we need to bring in this and that, Pardew and the board will think exactly the same. But lets be honest, it looks like we're struggling to attract anyone we are interested in at the moment.

Comepetition is fierce, we were always towards the bottom of the tree financially, but we could offer stability and a club with solid foundations. We've lost that little selling point now, and as a result, we are less attractive than your Fulham's and Pompey's.

If we are feeling frustrated, you can imagine what Pardew and the board are thinking.

Do they pay well over the top, knowing someone is only coming here for the wedge and will be tied in at Championship level with a Premiership salary ?

Do they sign players that they are not really interested in, won't improve our first team, for the sake of bringing in new faces ?

We've never once played the window well, i can't see this one being any different.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    Do they sign players that they are not really interested in, won't improve our first team, for the sake of bringing in new faces ?

We've never once played the window well, i can't see this one being any different.

Won't improve our first team ? That'll be bloody nigh impossible at the moment (otherwise I agree with your other points)
  • Options
    I don't know what you are all worrying about, we have two new midfield players in ZZ and Walton, who have tremendous experience, and up front we have the returning to fitness, scored 3 goals against Liverpool KEVIN LISBIE

No worries.......................................................!
  • Options
    The sort of players we want/need are the same sort of players clubs pushing for promotion and those around us at the bottom want.

We haven't got the same spending power as boro, West ham and probably Wigan. Those pushing for promotion will use the attraction of joining a team doing well and the relative instability at charlton as a reason not to join them. We will find it very difficult to get players in this window I think.
  • Options
    unless we look further afield, ie. abroad we're there is likely to be less competition from other prem clubs.

but a hell of a bigger risk.
  • Options
    I think we have wasted enough money this season on rushed signings. If we cannot sign our primary targets because they dont want to join a sinking ship, fine, I would not even bother making signings for the sake of it.
  • Options
    let's be honest come the west ham fixture will be at least 9 points off safety so even if we beat boro it will only bring false IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    whats more important is not to let anyone useful go and certainly make sure you have replacements lined up if you do..