Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

We are NOT going down

Forget Forest away and remember the last 10 minutes of the Villa game - then imagine how we can do the same to Boro (Thomas, El K and Holland to score!) - suddenly we're above West Ham in the table (because they've lost again) and just a few points behind Wigan and Boro....

We have good players and good home games recently - imagine how we feel if we did pull out of this!!!!

Comments

• I think someone said "the mindset determines the outcome". So it is about time to quit this mindset of relegation. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Exactly - enjoy the ride - detach from skysports and remember Wembley and 5th December - mind you the Vodka has run out!

By the way El K is class unless you prefer honest Phil Chapple lol
  • Good postive posts and dead right. We roughly need to get three wins more in the second half of the season, than we did in the first.
    Considering just how bad we have been before Pardew arrived, that shouldn't be beyond us.
    Nobody expected anything at Arsenal especially with ten men and going out of the cup could turn out to be a real blessing in disquise.
    To have a chance we need to get Reid and Bent back and try to keep them fit until the end of the season. Somehow we need to get back to back wins to bring some confidence.
    Home support is going to be vital and I shall be doing my bit by coming back in March to cheer us on to safety!
    Far too much negativeity around, look at the table guys, survival is far from beyond us.
    How about a few chants of "staying up, staying up, staying up" after we score the first goal against Middlesborough!!!
  • Afraid to say that as Pardew has said we desperately need to strengthen the spine of the side to have any chance of staying up - and particularly if we are going to start to winning away from home.
    The keeper, Carson, is fine.
    At the moment the centre-halves are: Elk, HH, Diawara, Fortune, Sorondo - for me only HH is good enough there and that is only because of his attitude.
    The centre-mids are: Holland, Faye, Kish, Hughes, Walton - again, only Holland can really cut it, and even then only just, and that's more down to his recent commitment rather than ability.
    Up front: Darren is fine, no probs there but M Bent and JFH are woeful.

That means that we really only have two players in the "core" of the team, Carson and Darren Bent who are really good enough for this level and two other HH and Holland whose commitment makes them competitive but they have both seen better days.

Look at our "spine" in the 2003/4 season (when Parker left)

Kiely
    Rufus Fish/Perry
    Parker Jensen/Euell
    Di Canio Bartlett

Says it all does it not?
  • He is spot on about the spine thingy, shame ID/Reed didn't realise this. You build a team around a number of players in your core, without that your'e screwed. Anyway we better stay up cos I bet my boss a tenner we would..
  • Wigan are away to Chelsea this weekend so a win against Boro might see us just 3 points from 17th place. Come you on reds don't throw the towel in just yet!
  • great positivity guys, though if i'm honest i'm not feeling it at the moment.

BUT

win against Boro. Any win, lucky win, doesn't really matter. All of a sudden not only does that league table look better to us, but it also looks a better proposition to potential signings as well.

Its a tall ask with little room for error, but anything can happen still....
  • It's nice to be positive & I do not wanna hijack a positive thread, but four wins in 22 games is not what I was expecting at this stage of the season. I think most supporters are lowering their expectations as the season pans out.
  • On another thread, a great number of people have given up and seem to be ready to celebrate relagation.

I know it's meant to be just light hearted, but to me and others, it totally gives out the wrong message.

We've had a lot of disappointment this season and I can understand why so many of you are so negative,
    but this negativity is a disease, and for us this season - the Charlton disease!

And the most certain way to guarantee relegation.

We are far from being relegated, unless that's what we choose.
    We've seen the team at home respond recently, every single time we get behind them.

C'mon, let's spread the message that we are going to fight tooth and nail for our Premiership status.

The team might just respond...........!

And if we do stay up, this season will become a Charlton legend!
  • if we stay up i'll get a Charlton tatoo on my left buttock
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]if we stay up i'll get a Charlton tatoo on my left buttock
    Don't you already have "Heston" on the right one?
  • edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]win against Boro. Any win, lucky win, doesn't really matter. All of a sudden not only does that league table look better to us, but it also looks a better proposition to potential signings as well.
    Very true - it really could be do or die this weekend.

By the way, Sheff Utd. have shown that not all players have to go for over the odds in the transfer window, because if their contract runs out in the summer then now is the last chance for their club to get any money at all for them.

www.thisislondon.co.uk

(I don't know if Kilgallon is any good, but Utd have picked him up for much less than they offered in the summer).
  • does Warnock ever sign a player outside Yorkshire ???
  • For me i will stay positive until its impossible otherwise whats the point!Every game seems to be massive for us these days however i am all up for the Boro game Saturday and the rest of the season.Really think Pardew is going to win this battle for us!
  • Your right tavern, or else whats the point

pardoo is our king
  • as a pessimist i admire everyone's false optimism but come relegation i will be able to accept it as inevitable and wont be surprised or disappointed
    i'll still be cheering the boys on and getting a sore throat and wound up by the action on the pitch
    i so so so hope i'm wrong
    COME ON YOU REDS
  • Whatever the outcome, this season has been a real roller-coaster, our very own soap-opera.

One moment elation, the next mumbling with despair, and then next punching the air again.
    This season has been the most dramatic for years.

And if we do battle for our status and stay up, the feeling will be euphoric!
    Far better than finishing 13th in the Championship next season.......
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]as a pessimist i admire everyone's false optimism but come relegation i will be able to accept it as inevitable and wont be surprised or disappointed
    i'll still be cheering the boys on and getting a sore throat and wound up by the action on the pitch
    i so so so hope i'm wrong
    COME ON YOU REDS

dood, this is your most positive and optimistic post to date, not bad coming from Mr pessimist himself.
  • Your absolutely right seriously_red if every games goes the way of villa then we will stay up. So all we need is to play against 10 men every week.
  • and have a bargain bucket full of luck !
  • Sponsored links:

• And have the crowd roaring the team on
  • Exactly we play our part, some luck, some signings and some players back etc. etc. and we take each game as it comes. This sounds like Pardew's approach so 3 points on Saturday and a performance please! It's weird but this could be the making of us and it's got to be better than the nil-nil rubbish of two years ago - every home game is a cup final - enjoy!