Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

GOOD NEWS-BAD NEWS

the GOOD NEWS is darren bents injury is healing a lot quicker than anticipated (he's having a further scan tomorrow)
BAD NEWS is chelski are in for benty and west ham are sniffing around
Charlton are asking for £18m but chelski wont pay that.... mid price looking around £15m

Comments

• Options
    but are we not keeping him now?
    don't you just know we will sell him at 23:55 on 31st jan, so we can't get anyone in ala murphy.
  • Options
    the board are trying to sell him and the poor fellow doesn't want to go , unbelievable . darren must be mad!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]the board are trying to sell him and the poor fellow doesn't want to go , unbelievable . darren must be mad!!

On the contrary he is a sensible lad.

He's seen or read about the likes of Spotty and Wright-Phillips, even Murphy getting splinters in their arses when moving clubs and their careers suffering.

If he stays at Charlton, fitness permitting, he will play and learn. If he continues to score in a poor side there will be an even greater demand for his services and he (his agent) can negotiate a nice "golden hello" when he leaves in the summer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]but are we not keeping him now?
    Like we were supposed to be keeping Parker and Murphy.
    don't you just know we will sell him at 23:55 on 31st jan, so we can't get anyone in ala murphy.
    On the balance of probability it will happen again - and if so it will be another example of the Charlton board being absolute muppets by trying to sell the club down the Thames. Only this time they would finally succeed. If this happened then I would have much more confidence of the inmates of Rampton running the club.
  • Options
    Roy, Roy, Roy, stop being a big silly, if they get offered £15m at 23.45 on 31/1/07, I'll be more then content to snap the hands off the offering club.

£15m set us up nicely thanks for the future, he's going to go, so if we get offered silly money, take it.
  • Options
    I want to keep him, but if anyone offers £15M I think we ask him what he wants and then back his decision 100%
  • Options
    If Bent is happy here, as suggested, there will be no chance of him leaving on deadline day. The only reason Parker and Murphy did was becase they wanted to go.

What would be the point of getting £15m for our best player without being able to spend it on anyone?

If we sell Bent it will ONLY be to get the players in who might be able to save us. If Bent goes, it will be sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Roy, Roy, Roy, stop being a big silly, if they get offered £15m at 23.45 on 31/1/07, I'll be more then content to snap the hands off the offering club.

£15m set us up nicely thanks for the future, he's going to go, so if we get offered silly money, take it.

So Rothko, you would be perfectly happy to get offered £15m for our best player when the transfer window was about to close when there was insufficient time to get a replacement, which mean the chance of us being relegated will be far greater. What good is this money for a future outside of the Premiership?

Also my name is NOT Roy though I have bumped into a Charlton supporter called Roy in Sheffield once or twice.
  • Options
    Roy, I don't think life ends with relegation, and £15m helps prepare for the life away from Mark Lawrenson and MoTD. I'll prefer that if we sold him, we sold him earlier, and got the players who might get us up, or in the more unlikely case, keep us up. But if there is a silly money bid throw at us, we'll be stupid to turn it down for the long term, I know football fans don't usual see beyond the end of the next game.

Charlton with Pards in charge, and with spending power in the Championship make us more attractive, then paying over the odds now for players.
  • Options
    please note, the following is hypothetical.
    just say we did sell for £15m on the last day of the transfer window. after we pay ipswich 25% that would leave us with just over £11m.
    in the summer we reportedly used part of next seasons budget and have bought players that have virtually no sell on value. they aren't gonna take a pay cut at another club whilst still under contract with us.
    i might be wrong but we have also had to pay off dowie and reed,and to a lesser extent harbin and the other bloke (goalkeeper coach/scout?). we now employ a 4th man in our management structure, phil parkinson. these all add up to expenditures we probably did not expect.
    with the loss of the tv money (if when we go down), and our fingers burnt by the last 6 months, how much of the £11m would pardew be allowed to spend?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would suspect and be surprised if they didn't, that most Charlton players would have a relegation clause in there contracts, so they'll be a cut there, £19m parachute payments, and people will still buy players I don't have much doubt that there are managers who think they could do something with the likes of Faye, M Bent, etc etc.

But we're all guessing, I don't know how much of the £11m was paid up front, what players contract say, and who might fancy buying whom in the summer
  • Options
    plus we would have to pay Darren a six figure fee to leave without asking for a transfer as well....
  • Options
    just say we did sell for £15m on the last day of the transfer window. after we pay ipswich 25% that would leave us with just over £11m.

Just to correct one minor point it's 25% of the profit...so if Bent goes for £15m then we end up with £12m not £11m.
  • Options
    we can still get good money for Bent in the summer, no reason to let him go last minute without any replacements..
  • Options
    To quote another Henry "will no one rid me of this troublesome prat"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]To quote another Henry "will no one rid me of this troublesome prat"
    Henry! That's no way to talk about Darren Bent! ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cheeky~Bandit[/cite]
    Also my name is NOT Roy though I have bumped into a Charlton supporter called Roy in Sheffield once or twice.
    Played him at Othello did you?
  • Options

Of course, the links on your profile to your blogs where you about how you fail to qualify, and then link to the Othello, or whatever where your results are.

Roy, people aren't stupid, a few of us know what your like
  • Options
    28M of sky money next year sounds a lot better don't you think?

The board and fans should hang on and hope that the home form of Pardew's first two games (with REid and Young back soon sees us through the window.

As I mentioned before the parachute money and sale of Bent will see us through IF we go down... Right now we should be signing Smertin and whoever else can help sort the midfield - on loan whatever + a striker because the defence is not that bad when the midfield puts pressure on the other team.

Alternatively Bent and his agent are doing the professional thing and quietly telling the club he's fed up with carrying the club (along with a loan signing keeper)

Cashing in now sends the wrong signals whereas someone pointed out that with increased SKY wonga the auction will be good in the summer.

Anyway right now all of our focus should be on winning against Boro' - because the table will look alot better if we pick up 3 points - sod the cup - it's gone!
  • Options
    Benty down the same thing at Ipswich as well apparently.

Newcastle came in with a £1m bid, Tractors accepted but Darren wanted to stay and play regular first team football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]To quote another Henry "will no one rid me of this troublesome prat"[/quote]

Smudge should ban you.
  • Options
    seriously red
    "because the defence is not that bad when the midfield puts pressure on the other team." i don't know what defence you've been looking at but we are atrocious at the back
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]To quote another Henry "will no one rid me of this troublesome prat"

If you are talking about me, then believe me Henry - if I was out to be really troublesome you would know about it. One thing - this troublesome prat as you put it holds a season ticket and should he renew for next season will be able to vote. Being abusive to the electorate who will decide if you hold the position for another two years (should you stand) or is kicked out is not a particularly smart thing to do.
  • Options
    He's rude to a number of people....
  • Options
    edited January 2007

If you are talking about me, then believe me Henry - if I was out to be really troublesome you would know about it. One thing - this troublesome prat as you put it holds a season ticket and should he renew for next season will be able to vote. Being abusive to the electorate who will decide if you hold the position for another two years (should you stand) or is kicked out is not a particularly smart thing to do.

Oh dear, you might not vote for me, how upsetting. Shame I've already said I'm not standing again and couldn't care less what you personally think or vote. I'll save my energies for real fans not poor wind ups like you.

And Rothko has proved you are a liar so who knows if you have a season ticket or not. Certainly when you were spouting the same rubbish on the e-mail list someone checked the ST record and there was no Roy Arnold listed even though you claimed you were a ST holder. If you are going to be a liar then at least remember the previous lies you have told.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]

LOL
  • Options

But I think one could say this about most of his team mates
  • Options
    Played him at Othello did you?

He introduced me to the game - many of the links on my profile are actually sticking up for him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

I am still not Roy - I may be a bit like him. That is all the likes of Rothko need to know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

I am still not Roy - I may be a bit like him. That is all the likes of Rothko need to know.

Give it up Roy. Wasn't funny on the email list, not funny here either.