Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Invicta Road School - AFS Station 14th November 1940

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
On 14th November 1940, Invicta Road School near Blackheath Standard, was being used as an Auxiliary Fire Station when it was destroyed by a Parachute Mine killing 12 firemen and 2 civilians. The charity 'Firemen Remembered' is planning on erecting a memorial plaque at the school in November of this year to honour those killed and to create a lasting memorial to their sacrifice.

If anyone knows any surviving family members or descendants of those killed, or the descendants of anyone who served at this AFS Station during the War, we'd love to hear from them as we would like to invite them if possible to the unveiling, which we would anticipate being as near to the anniversary of the actual date as possible.

You can either contact me via this forum or contact Stephanie Maltman of Firemen Remembered via their website www.firemenremembered.co.uk

Comments

• a school i attended in the early 60's...i remember the school caretaker as being a mr wellspring who we spotted down the valley couple of times...he had a couple of cracking looking daughters, a bit older than us, who i seem to recall we recognised once at the valley in those red uniforms that charlton used when they put some girls in them around 68/69 or so...
  • edited November 2010
    Hi Ken
    The school are being somewhat economical with the truth here! Stephanie of Firemen Remembered went to visit them before the summer holidays to make arrangements when they were very keen on the whole idea. Since then we have both been trying to contact the headmistress by phone and e-mail and she is now resolutely refusing to return our calls for some reason, so it appears that they have got a severe case of cold feet. We are continuing to try and re-establish contact but as it takes a month to get the plaque manufactured, we are probably talking after Christmas now, even if they spoke to us tomorrow. Very disappointed in their attitude - don't know what has happened to make them go this way. Will keep you posted.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: letthegoodtimesroll[/cite]a school i attended in the early 60's...i remember the school caretaker as being a mr wellspring who we spotted down the valley couple of times...he had a couple of cracking looking daughters, a bit older than us, who i seem to recall we recognised once at the valley in those red uniforms that charlton used when they put some girls in them around 68/69 or so...

Goodness me, Mr Wellspring. I remember him well. I didn't know he supported Charlton too. I also didn't know about his two daughters!
  • Go and knock on the old bags door and ask her what the frigging problem is.
    Might be worth contacting Kevin Nolan via the club, he's well connected with both the Fire Service and the local press.