Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valiants, Robins or Addicks

13»

Comments

• Options
    Very interesting Henry. I've never heard that one before.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Very interesting Henry. I've never heard that one before.

Personally I never believe a word that that particular author says : - )
  • Options
    If what Henry says is true, can we also claim to have our own board game?

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~jcs06/games/Addique/index.htm
  • Options
    Addicks
  • Options
    The Addicks nickname was forcibly reinstated in the late 1980s/early 90s by a cabal of Mercury journalists and VOTV editors, from which it spread into the other local press and then into club publications, having previously been pretty marginalised. We decided to stamp out Valiants - oddly while campaigning to return to The Valley - and we did!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Very interesting Henry. I've never heard that one before.

Personally I never believe a word that that particular author says : - )
    Neither will I any more ;-) Good work in further muddying the waters though :-)

"Following a fanzine article in 1998, it was widely believed that this design had been based on a "Spencer-Percival" family crest. This turned out not to be the case, however, with the article having been a hoax". http://www.footballcrests.com/clubs/charlton-athletic-fc
  • Options
    The Spencer- Percival family still sit in the West Stand and are season ticket holders, nice people they are too.
    Normally they are heard chanting "Rah, Rah, Rah, were going to smash the oiks"
  • Options
    Has to be Addicks

Valient was a PR inspired n,ame to go with the sword emblem whilst the Robins come from the the Red Red Robins and whilst it is our tune it has never been our nick name, after all you wouldn't call Everton the Z Cars!
  • Options
    Whatever its veracity, I liked the article.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Whatever its veracity, I liked the article.

It was mean't as wind-up of course.